The Student Room Group

Discussion of Year 11 2018 AQA Science mock and what I can do to achieve grade 8/9

Currently, I'm doing higher in all my sciences & recently had my mocks 2 weeks ago and I have received the results today.

Here are all the papers I did along with what mark and grade I got:

AQA Biology 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 63
AQA Biology 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 63
AQA Biology total : 126 // Grade: 7

AQA Physics 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 67
AQA Physics 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 60
AQA Physics total: 127 // Grade: 7

AQA Chemistry 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 70
AQA Chemistry 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 78
AQA Chemistry total: 148 // Grade: 7

From these, I'd like to know what marks & grades u guys got so I can see how the rest of the country is coping with the new 9-1 spec and to see if I'm at the right level or need to work harder.

I'd also like to know what grading system your school used as I'm slightly questioning the grade I got for Chemistry (7) as the total mark (148) is quite higher than for the other sciences, where I also both achieved a grade 7 in, but got lower total marks (126 & 127).

My school decided to use a mixture of last year's 9-1 mathematics grading system combined with last year's A*- G system for the sciences, which is pretty strange, but they thought this would be most suitable for the new 9-1 science grading system.

For my results, I'm moderately satisfied with them since I didn't really do proper revision for them, as I just read the CGP 9-1 AQA revision guides and did the practice questions inside them but for the real exams, I'd like to achieve at least a grade 8 in chemistry and physics and a 9 in biology. In order to achieve these grades, what should I do?

I've thought about doing practice papers but AQA have only released 1 set of specimen papers for the 9-1 spec and I fear that if I do papers from the old spec, the mark scheme may be different (as it'll be tailored towards the old spec) and may lead to me missing out vital points that the new 9-1 spec requires!

All of this is very stressful but any help would be appreciated, thank you.
I've only done paper 1s for the three:

I got 66/100 for biology, which was Grade 8
69/100 for Chemistry which was Grade 8
84/100 for Physics, which was Grade 9
Reply 2
Original post by aimscopes
I've only done paper 1s for the three:

I got 66/100 for biology, which was Grade 8
69/100 for Chemistry which was Grade 8
84/100 for Physics, which was Grade 9

nice, what did you use to revise for them?
Same as you, the CGP 9-1 revision guide. I made notes from them, then revised from there. Did practise questions aswell and the practice paper at the back of the revision guide. It really does help lmao since my teachers are crap
i did my mocks and i got 8s in everything (ffs). my revision is basically reading the revision guide on topics i'm already confident in. With okay topics i make notes from the CGP Revision Guide (mindmaps) and then topics im struggling on i watch youtube vids like freesciencelessons, mygcsescience, sciencewithhazel, amoebasisters and make notes like you would do in a school lesson. Then i do questions. Q U E S T I O N S A R E K E Y F O R THE NEW E X A M S P E C I F I C A T I O N. Especially application ones. use other boards like i do aqa so i do edexcel and ocr stuff as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Aleyna1008
i did my mocks and i got 8s in everything (ffs). my revision is basically reading the revision guide on topics i'm already confident in. With okay topics i make notes from the CGP Revision Guide (mindmaps) and then topics im struggling on i watch youtube vids like freesciencelessons, mygcsescience, sciencewithhazel, amoebasisters and make notes like you would do in a school lesson. Then i do questions. Q U E S T I O N S A R E K E Y F O R THE NEW E X A M S P E C I F I C A T I O N. Especially application ones. use other boards like i do aqa so i do edexcel and ocr stuff as well.

aight and wdym by "ffs" u did sick! also what were your total marks?

whats wrong with 8s?
Reply 7
Same as you, the CGP 9-1 revision guide. I made notes from them, then revised from there. Did practise questions aswell and the practice paper at the back of the revision guide. It really does help lmao since my teachers are crap

lool same and half of my top set are doing foundation :s-smilie:
@brarje

Lmao I didn't know anyone even does separates foundation?? I don't think you can do that at my school.
Reply 9
Original post by brarje
Currently, I'm doing higher in all my sciences & recently had my mocks 2 weeks ago and I have received the results today.

Here are all the papers I did along with what mark and grade I got:

AQA Biology 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 63
AQA Biology 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 63
AQA Biology total : 126 // Grade: 7

AQA Physics 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 67
AQA Physics 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 60
AQA Physics total: 127 // Grade: 7

AQA Chemistry 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 70
AQA Chemistry 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 78
AQA Chemistry total: 148 // Grade: 7

From these, I'd like to know what marks & grades u guys got so I can see how the rest of the country is coping with the new 9-1 spec and to see if I'm at the right level or need to work harder.

I'd also like to know what grading system your school used as I'm slightly questioning the grade I got for Chemistry (7) as the total mark (148) is quite higher than for the other sciences, where I also both achieved a grade 7 in, but got lower total marks (126 & 127).

My school decided to use a mixture of last year's 9-1 mathematics grading system combined with last year's A*- G system for the sciences, which is pretty strange, but they thought this would be most suitable for the new 9-1 science grading system.

For my results, I'm moderately satisfied with them since I didn't really do proper revision for them, as I just read the CGP 9-1 AQA revision guides and did the practice questions inside them but for the real exams, I'd like to achieve at least a grade 8 in chemistry and physics and a 9 in biology. In order to achieve these grades, what should I do?

I've thought about doing practice papers but AQA have only released 1 set of specimen papers for the 9-1 spec and I fear that if I do papers from the old spec, the mark scheme may be different (as it'll be tailored towards the old spec) and may lead to me missing out vital points that the new 9-1 spec requires!

All of this is very stressful but any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Hi could you send me the paper 2s as my school took out the questions on topics we hadn’t completed and I can’t find them anywhere. ( I got all grade 9s chem 95% bio 80% physics 80%overall )
so ofc i did my gcses in 2018 and memorising content and doing questions paid off, i got a 9 8 8 in bio chem phys respectively

Which revision guide is it?

Quick Reply

Latest