The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official 2018 Oxford Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello all. I did not put a college prefrence down when applying. Does this mean I am likely to be placed in one of the more unpopular colleges, or do I have a chance to get in them all?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Hello everyone!

DPhil Music
Informal Offer: 16 March
Formal Offer: 26 March

Still waiting on funding and college placement
Hi everyone,
Has anyone heard back about the Oxford MPhil in International Relations? I was supposed to find out 8-10 weeks after the Jan 8th deadline but I'm still waiting on a response. I was told by the DPIR Graduate admissions that the admissions process was delayed by the industrial action.
Reply 23
Hi everyone!

DPhil Law
College: aiming for univ

Any other law candidates around?
Original post by Gormmid
Hello all. I did not put a college prefrence down when applying. Does this mean I am likely to be placed in one of the more unpopular colleges, or do I have a chance to get in them all?

I don't believe it makes a difference, tbh. From what I've read, a third of applicants list no preference. Even when you do list a preference, your application could be shifted in accordance with funding opportunities. It seems like more of a coin toss regardless of what you list as your preference.
Hello to everyone! Today I got an email from the graduate office saying that my College (Univ) did not accepted me 😪

Does anyone knows how long would it take for a random college to pick me up? I really hope to be placed at a nice one!
Reply 26
Original post by SomeFolk
Hello to everyone! Today I got an email from the graduate office saying that my College (Univ) did not accepted me 😪

Does anyone knows how long would it take for a random college to pick me up? I really hope to be placed at a nice one!

I read that you are likely to hear around the first week of May! I am hoping to be put into a nice one too!
Reply 28
Hi, I have an interview for the MSc Child Development and Education. I'm wondering what kind of questions they typically ask in these interviews, and how I should prepare? Any advice appreciated!
Original post by hansim
Hi, I have an interview for the MSc Child Development and Education. I'm wondering what kind of questions they typically ask in these interviews, and how I should prepare? Any advice appreciated!

I did a different MSc course in the department a few years ago. I had a nice interview, and was asked about my reasons for applying, about what I had written for my two essays, my undergraduate research project, professional experience, and early ideas for my MSc dissertation. It'll be tailored to you and your application, and the specifics of the Child Development course :smile:

(It's a lovely department by the way, and the MSc was really well taught)
Original post by Gormmid
I read that you are likely to hear around the first week of May! I am hoping to be put into a nice one too!

Oh boy! it´s gonna be a long wait... thank you for the reply!
Reply 31
Oh boy! it´s gonna be a long wait... thank you for the reply!

Tell me about it. The wait it killing me!
Original post by Gormmid
Tell me about it. The wait it killing me!

Now let's just wait to get picked by a nice college! After all, everything happens for a good reason!

I had the same! Accepted into DPhil in History and applied to Merton. Does anyone have any idea of what happens when your preference is not fulfilled?
Reply 34
Original post by oxfordaussie
I had the same! Accepted into DPhil in History and applied to Merton. Does anyone have any idea of what happens when your preference is not fulfilled?

I did some digging around the issue some time back as I was paranoid and convinced that I wouldn't get accepted by my first preference college. From what I've gathered, this is what happens:

1. Differently from undergraduate admissions, you get placed on a list of all candidates that have not been accepted by a college (either because their first preference rejected them or they simply did not specify a first preference).

2. Colleges get to pick from the list.

3. If a college finds your application particularly appealing, they can offer you a scholarship, which will enhance their chances of getting you.
Original post by KMPG-string
Any offers for Modern British History yet??

I got an offer in Modern British History about a week ago. Have you aswell?
Slowly going insane waiting for a college (after getting my offer in February)! I do wish I'd put down a preference instead of going for an open application - I'll be kicking myself if I don't get somewhere nice.
Reply 37
Original post by ingeardagum
Slowly going insane waiting for a college (after getting my offer in February)! I do wish I'd put down a preference instead of going for an open application - I'll be kicking myself if I don't get somewhere nice.

People making open applications often end up at lovely colleges (The Queen's, Jesus, Exeter, Oriel etc). Just sit back and keep your fingers crossed!
Hello - does anyone know anything about what Hildas is like as a postgrad? :smile:
Original post by medieval_lit
Hello - does anyone know anything about what Hildas is like as a postgrad? :smile:

I've lived in Oxford for three years before, St Hilda's is honestly has one of the nicest locations! It's close to the river, residential areas, and many nice places in general (Cowley is my favourite part of the city). It's also a beautiful college!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending