The Student Room Group

What jobs can I get with an International Relations and Politics joint honours?

So hey,
what jobs can i get with an international relations and politics joint honour degree?
Original post by l0ser
So hey,
what jobs can i get with an international relations and politics joint honour degree?

Hi @l0ser :smile:

There are a number of areas that you could go into after this type of degree. For example graduates from Politics & International Relations at Hope have went on to work with the civil service, with the NHS, with voluntary bodies and in parliament in the field of communications. They have also gone on to work in the field of law, with think tanks and in journalism.

Of course it would depend on what area you are most interested in getting in to? There is always the option to go into teaching or on to other postgraduate study too.

I hope this helps
Ruth
Not sure about jobs, but you can definitely get more degrees
Nope. Lots of undergrads think this, and it's nowhere near as straightforward as universities like to make out in their prospectuses. These jobs are massively competitive and frankly a bachelors in IR isn't going to cut it. If you want to work in NGOs/development, for my money you are far better off having technical knowledge like logisitics, planning, infrastructure engineering and so on.

If you want to be a suit at the UN, realistically you're going to need to go to Oxbridge or LSE, or have a postgraduate degree, maybe a PhD.

Politics and IR are great degrees, don't get me wrong. You can certainly get an entry-level job at an NGO office and work your way up, maybe, but it's not a fast-track to the jet-set lifestyle that everyone thinks it is.

It's a generalist degree, a foundation of knowledge which can open a lot of doors and you will do most of your career development/training on the job. I know a lot of people who went into journalism, someone in social work, someone in consultancy, etc. Don't know anybody who ended up working internationally for NGOs or bodies like the UN.
Rekt

Don't give people bad advice.
Original post by l0ser
So hey,

Wrong question.

You should be asking 'what job/career do I want. What degree will help me get there'.
Original post by l0ser
So hey,

To add to the answers mentioned, work experience and a strong application are vital to helping you get any graduate job.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
There are a number of areas that you could go into after this type of degree. For example graduates from Politics & International Relations at Hope have went on to work with the civil service, with the NHS, with voluntary bodies and in parliament in the field of communications. They have also gone on to work in the field of law, with think tanks and in journalism.

Of course it would depend on what area you are most interested in getting in to? There is always the option to go into teaching or on to other postgraduate study too.

True, but none of those areas requires a degree in Politics & IR and the OP could work in any of those fields with just about any degree (or no degree for many of them).
Original post by Duncan2012
True, but none of those areas requires a degree in Politics & IR and the OP could work in any of those fields with just about any degree (or no degree for many of them).

Hey Duncan :smile:

Obtaining a degree, especially in something you have a great and keen interest in, is always a positive opportunity to consider. Studying a degree that will develop employability skills as well as giving you subject knowledge can greatly improve your job chances, as it clearly displays your discipline and determination to obtain a higher level qualification; It also opens opportunities for faster progression in your field of interest.

However, the option is also there to work your way up the career ladder in many companies without attending University. This is why it's so important that you consider your course, and more importantly, your passion and interest for it before enrollment.

Hope this helps!

Melissa :biggrin:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey Duncan :smile:

Obtaining a degree, especially in something you have a great and keen interest in, is always a positive opportunity to consider. Studying a degree that will develop employability skills as well as giving you subject knowledge can greatly improve your job chances, as it clearly displays your discipline and determination to obtain a higher level qualification; It also opens opportunities for faster progression in your field of interest.

However, the option is also there to work your way up the career ladder in many companies without attending University. This is why it's so important that you consider your course, and more importantly, your passion and interest for it before enrollment.

Hope this helps!

Melissa :biggrin:

Hey Melissa, you don't need to sell me the benefits of getting a degree!
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012
Wrong question.

You should be asking 'what job/career do I want. What degree will help me get there'.

That's a really good point actually thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending