The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do

I'm studying my GCSE's at the moment and in less than two months I'm going to have my GCSE exams. I'm not sure how to revise at the moment, the subjects that i need to focus on are history (need to get a good grade for college offer) , religion and life(my weak point) and the sciences (not a natural scientist) and of course all the other subjects but those are the ones which need help yet i dont know how to revise at this point should i make condensed notes or should i do past exam questions ((there aren't many as I'm doing the new spec)).

Your comments would be appreciated as I'm panicking right now and can't sleep because of the stress and fear of failure.
Original post by xecec
I'm studying my GCSE's at the moment and in less than two months I'm going to have my GCSE exams. I'm not sure how to revise at the moment, the subjects that i need to focus on are history (need to get a good grade for college offer) , religion and life(my weak point) and the sciences (not a natural scientist) and of course all the other subjects but those are the ones which need help yet i dont know how to revise at this point should i make condensed notes or should i do past exam questions ((there aren't many as I'm doing the new spec)).

Your comments would be appreciated as I'm panicking right now and can't sleep because of the stress and fear of failure.

No time for stress, just focus and make the most of the 6-8 weeks. Calculate the min time you can make your notes in. I would aim for completing the in less than 50% of the remaining time. If you have 6 weeks then 2 weeks note making- 2 weeks notes and past papers i.e a split. 2 weeks exams only+ mark schemes.

You have to use some common sense and make notes whilst you feel beneficial. You must do 2weeks exam papers and pref more. I would be aiming for 4.. Its hard to do exam papers without knowing the material.

History is just timelines and mindmaps.- instead of answering full questions practice timed exam plans in 15 mins.
same for the other two.

Even if doing new spec its still roughly the same material, so when you run out of new spec exam papers, do old spec as its the same knowledge.

Focus and do your best- mark your answers and see what you missed, then try not to miss it next time. keep working consistently and hard. 10 weeks and its all over. Fear of failure iis ok, as long as you sue it positively. You only have to do your best and not slack.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
No time for stress, just focus and make the most of the 6-8 weeks. Calculate the min time you can make your notes in. I would aim for completing the in less than 50% of the remaining time. If you have 6 weeks then 2 weeks note making- 2 weeks notes and past papers i.e a split. 2 weeks exams only+ mark schemes.

You have to use some common sense and make notes whilst you feel beneficial. You must do 2weeks exam papers and pref more. I would be aiming for 4.. Its hard to do exam papers without knowing the material.

History is just timelines and mindmaps.- instead of answering full questions practice timed exam plans in 15 mins.
same for the other two.

Even if doing new spec its still roughly the same material, so when you run out of new spec exam papers, do old spec as its the same knowledge.

Focus and do your best- mark your answers and see what you missed, then try not to miss it next time. keep working consistently and hard. 10 weeks and its all over. Fear of failure iis ok, as long as you sue it positively. You only have to do your best and not slack.

Thank you for the reply, i was a bit anxious about still taking notes at this stage because many people have told me that by this time it's not practical to make notes but to just do exam practice.
Original post by xecec
Thank you for the reply, i was a bit anxious about still taking notes at this stage because many people have told me that by this time it's not practical to make notes but to just do exam practice.

Only you can judge what your situation is. You need to do exam papers, but you cant really do them without knowledge of your course- it may be you have to learn directly fro, your revision or textbook. ise your revision plan and decide is it beneficial to take notes or must I be doing practice papers?

At some stage you need to be doing practice papers and I would say 4-2 weeks. Just use your time as best you can. If you just want to practice exams now, thats fine, but if you dont have the knowledge, then that could be less effective.. I dont know what your state of knowledge is. Just plan your revision and use the time sensibly. Endless note making by itself is not good. 100 pages of notes for a subject might be impractical and less manageable from a 12-20 page set.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice I’ve made a revision plan and I’m going to start by making notes for history in timeline form and go from there.

Quick Reply

Latest