Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I am American however i study at Nottingham which is QS ranked 84th globally

Why even mention Nottingham? (That's a rhetorical question - please don't reply...)

If you want to quote acceptance rates: Durham's is 15.6%
(edited 6 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Doonesbury
Why even mention Nottingham? (That's a rhetorical question - please don't reply...)

If you want to quote acceptance rates: Durham's is 15.6%

Really, Dont be thick,

Durhams offer rate is far higher then Dukes.

You always want to call upon rankings when it pleases your argument yet dont want to acknowledge them when it hurts.

Durham is a mere 9 QS places higher then Nottingham, and lags Duke by about 55.
(edited 6 years ago)
A girl went to Durham, to study law from a foundation course I did, albeit it private foundation that says something..Duke is academically a target university people need emmaculate academic records to get into from day one, not a foundation course.. Further, Duke has an endowment that could buy several british universities, it has like i said one of the greatest cardiovascular centers in the world, with alas better doctors then the UK.. (largely due to the private money system and pay for Doctors.

Durham stacks up poorly overall against Duke..

End of story. Sorry a public research university that accepts Oxbridge rejects and makes foundation students offers of place is not in a position to compete with a top 25 QS instuition.

Get over it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 83
Really, Dont be thick,

Durhams offer rate is far higher then Dukes.

Don't be rude.

And, as you should well know, you can't compare offer (or even acceptance) rates due to the completely different admissions processes. I mentioned the acceptance rate purely because you said Duke's was 16%.

You do realise the acceptance rate is the admit rate, not the offer rate?
Don't be rude.

And, as you should well know, you can't compare offer (or even acceptance) rates due to the completely different admissions processes. I mentioned the acceptance rate purely because you said Duke's was 16%.

You do realise the acceptance rate is the admit rate, not the offer rate?

Yes it may differ, but im pretty positive Duke doesnt offer admission to 70% of its applicants. However cant with empirical evidence back this claim.

What i can show evidence of is that in basically all respected rankings Duke is a Top 10 (US) instuition and safely a top 30 global instuition, whereas Durham moves far lower.

So its quite difficult to defend my instuition (Nottingham) against opinions on this forum but when i do decide to provide some facts, i dont want to hear a peep about your personal opinions about Durham.

Because its not as elite as Duke and never will be.
LOL, QS rankings are predominately based on research, barely anything else. Oh dear.
Original post by random_matt
LOL, QS rankings are predominately based on research, barely anything else. Oh dear.

Its not just QS, its all the (country and international) major rankings.

Duke is the far superior instute of higher education.
Its not just QS, its all the (country and international) major rankings.

Duke is the far superior instute of higher education.

Have you sat SAT and if so what were your scores?
Universities arent judge off of academia experience or whatever, they are judged mainly of reputation with employers, i would take a Duke degree over Durham any day and so would you. That is if you had one, which you don't.

Im am EU citizen so its much more cost effective to do my degree here, as my homebase is in Germany and when im in America im too far away from my real estate responsibilites.

Had i applied to Duke I likely wouldnt have gotten in. No shame in admitting that,

Why you are naming these globally insignificant second tier not even elite universities are you trepid defense is unexplainable.

We were discussing Durham vs Duke

Duke is a much better known name around the world and a simple google search by an employer would convince them Duke is the far superior university.

I also stated this girl came from PRIVATE foundation. Not Durhams foundation, a truly elite university would not need to make offers to foundation courses looking to scoop up international students.

As the truly elite instuitions of this country rarely do, ie LSE, Oxbridge, UCL (only from their foundation).

I know quite a bit about the procedure,

further you might want to put your elitism aside and go ahead and respect Nottingham. Do what you like, its a global university, im not going to let some cupcake like you tell me otherwise.
Original post by ajj2000
Have you sat SAT and if so what were your scores?

Never took the SAT when i graduated highschool i wasnt able to go to university as i had to care for a parent.

Only did foundation here, performed about average AAB

2% off triple A

though if i were to take the SAT I would likely score pretty high, not the most elite but upper 20% definitely.
Never took the SAT when i graduated highschool i wasnt able to go to university as i had to care for a parent.

Only did foundation here, performed about average AAB

2% off triple A

though if i were to take the SAT I would likely score pretty high, not the most elite but upper 20% definitely.

You did the University Foundation Programme and got AAB?

Isn't that course supposed to be piss easy?
Original post by Notoriety
You did the University Foundation Programme and got AAB?

Isn't that course supposed to be piss easy?

I did a private foundation course in London, basically a 6 month course judged by QAA (some official place not sure if thats it) to be A level equivalent.. Its not that difficult but does entail a bit of work, especially if you have taken a long break from school. Its A level not rocket science.

But the SAT isnt any harder lol i've heard alot easier and more vague.

Would have been AAA but the final module i got a stingy teacher who decided to short me 2%. (Coursework based)
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't be deceived by an English centric viewpoint.
I've lived in Durham for nearly 18 years and love it! There are lots of trees and a river running through it. Anywhere you go you'll get a mix of types of people but from Durham uni everyone I've spoke to are very friendly, great fun, and also polite. It's very small for a city- depends on what you want to go for. There are a few pubs/nightclubs within the city centre which do student nights every so often. It's also about a 20 min train journey to Newcastle which has more entertainment. There are some major developments in Durham which are an eye sore but I head they should be finished in the next year or so. Accommodation is always going to be expensive in the first year but in the second and third there are some of the cheapest in the country (£75 pp for a house of 4 with 2 bathrooms, living room, bills, and kitchen).

Can't give any info about Warwich, never been. Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by crashingLife()
I applied to both and holding conditional offers from both I picked Warwick (for compsci).The PPE course at Warwick is a lot better and Warwick has great industrial links to firms in investment banking/finance. Although personally I know that Durham has a lot of prestige because it's old I felt that I would be very secluded there as it is a very small town, very far north of england with not many international students. And as an international student living in a very hot country it won't be a cake walk adjusting to life in the UK and I think that Durham would only make it harder for myself.

you do realise Durham is a city rather than a town, albeit a small one...whereas Warwick is in the middle of nowhere - it's like a 20 min bus ride into the centre of Coventry...
Your just typing alot...

But everyone here knows Duke University is just a tad better ranked and a tad more selective.

So apparently my Nottingham degree will get me further then a Duke degree?

Nottingham is 55th QS for graduate employability.

Like i said i combined and researched three major international rankings and couldnt find a shred of evidence stating Durham overall is as well known or securely in the top 30 globally.

It moves closer to its Russell group friends.

In the second tier...

Which Nottingham maybe at the lower end is still a part of!!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
Don't be deceived by an English centric viewpoint.

Im not sure how he could even accuse me of this, obviously im German-American (both passports).....

Im very aware of both education systems and respect both lol... hell i study in England.
Reply 97
Your just typing alot...

But everyone here knows Duke University is just a tad better ranked and a tad more selective.

Except by international employers it seems. A key metric you were pinning your argument on.

Why are you even arguing with someone who has actually applied to Duke? Don't you think they might be a bit more aware of its strengths and weaknesses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does this thread have so many replies?
Except by international employers it seems. A key metric you were pinning your argument on.

Why are you even arguing with someone who has actually applied to Duke? Don't you think they might be a bit more aware of its strengths and weaknesses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doonesbury, are you saying he is a reject of Duke University??? thanks for proving my point.

Further im from NC, i know how difficult it is to get into Duke. We had a kid in our school who aced the SAT went and took advanced maths at the community college in our city, who then got an offer to do nuclear engineering at Wake forest on a full ride.. Was rejected from Duke.

Wake forest is a damn private university.

Duke is impossible to get into.

Durham is much more accessible.

These simply are the facts.

Only the best and brightest get to Duke.

Quick Reply