The Student Room Group

BA Digital Culture at King's?

So I'm an EU student and I'm applying to Digital Culture at KCL.
I have always been interested in the media and I always thought that I would want to work with the digital at some point... The thing is that this degree isn't specifically about the digital media, it apparently also covers digital politics/economics/business/marketing/programming and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not really sure about. And I am afraid that it will not really suit me, as I am interested in the media in general. I could still do a master's in the digital media afterwards, but I'm afraid that I'll be stuck with the it and won't be able to go into other fields such as tv or the print media if I end up changing my mind.
I know KCL is a well-regarded uni and the course does sound interesting, though...
What do you guys think? Does anyone study/know someone who studies this course? Or is anyone applying too?
Reply 1
Original post by analuizaloio
I have always been interested in the media and I always thought that I would want to work with the digital at some point... The thing is that this degree isn't specifically about the digital media, it apparently also covers digital politics/economics/business/marketing/programming and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not really sure about. And I am afraid that it will not really suit me, as I am interested in the media in general. I could still do a master's in the digital media afterwards, but I'm afraid that I'll be stuck with the it and won't be able to go into other fields such as tv or the print media if I end up changing my mind.
I know KCL is a well-regarded uni and the course does sound interesting, though...
What do you guys think? Does anyone study/know someone who studies this course? Or is anyone applying too?

Heya I'm applying for Digital Culture too!! The course does seem to have a large variety of other aspects that are integrated with the media, so if you don't think you would like it then I say don't go. Although King's College is a great university, I know there are others which have a specific media course (for instance Goldsmiths media and communications course - its 8th best in the word on QS rankings for media and communications). Don't just go because its a great university, if you don't feel like the course content is interesting for you, I think maybe apply to keep it as an option but see towards the end how your opinion changes!

I couldn't agree more with alisunya! If the modules aren't that appealing to you you'd better not go.

I started studying Digital Culture at King's this year. However, I ended up withdrawing from the course. Long story short, the university is amazing but the course was just not for me. I thought that being an humanities student I would enjoy the modules and the heaving reading but that wasn't the case. After just two weeks I realized I wanted to study a more creative course. I had to talk to my personal tutor and then to the senior tutor of the department and they both told me to withdraw. They said that if I enjoyed media I would probably want a course that was not only theoretical but also more practical.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! Choosing the wrong course sucks so I'm happy to help :smile:
heyy!
I was in the exact same position as you were: I really want to be a journalist, and work in the digital field, but I was really afraid that studying Digital Culture would end up restricting my ability to work in tv or newspapers if i wanted to.

Although the course does sound interesting, I ended up choosing to go for Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam because I feel like it will give me a broader idea of how it's like to work in the media, in general. And, as you said, not studying journalism at undergraduate level doesn't mean I can't get into it afterwards. But, like the one at King's the course I chose is very theoretical, so if you think you would like to learn more about the practical side of journalism right away, then I would say go for the degree at City!
(edited 2 years ago)
As a student of digital culture of 2nd year I strongly don't recommend this degree, the way it is presented on the website is very misleading and makes you think you will be learning a lot of the practical aspects of digital media however it is only theoretical and is not relevant whatsoever towards gaining skills that will help you get employment. The only tasks you are asked is to write essays and there are rarely any modules with projects, and even the one with projects are not teaching you much. If i could go back in time I would choose Goldsmith university or City university.
Original post by kingscollegedg
As a student of digital culture of 2nd year I strongly don't recommend this degree, the way it is presented on the website is very misleading and makes you think you will be learning a lot of the practical aspects of digital media however it is only theoretical and is not relevant whatsoever towards gaining skills that will help you get employment. The only tasks you are asked is to write essays and there are rarely any modules with projects, and even the one with projects are not teaching you much. If i could go back in time I would choose Goldsmith university or City university.

See, I've applied for this course wanting to go into digital journalism too, but I didn't get this impression from the website and applied on the basis that King's has highly ranked student media and is within spitting distance of Fleet Street, so still gives good opportunities to get work experience in the media, if not through the degree itself.
Reply 6
Hey I was just wondering do you know if anyone in your course didn’t reach their offer requirements for their course? I have an offer for digital culture which is AAB and I fear I will not reach my B in french. Did a lot of people not reach their offers and still get their place?
Reply 7
Original post by Alidel01
Hey I was just wondering do you know if anyone in your course didn’t reach their offer requirements for their course? I have an offer for digital culture which is AAB and I fear I will not reach my B in french. Did a lot of people not reach their offers and still get their place?

I got AAC at A-Level and I was still accepted to study (in 2016). I think the requirements possibly may have even been AAA then.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Oh that’s interesting then! We’re there many in the course like this do you know?
Original post by mattc101
I got AAC at A-Level and I was still accepted to study (in 2016). I think the requirements possibly may have even been AAA then.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Hey! I’m applying to KCL and UvA for these courses. Could you please share your stats with me so that I can weigh my chances of getting in? Thank you!
Original post by alisunya
Heya I'm applying for Digital Culture too!! The course does seem to have a large variety of other aspects that are integrated with the media, so if you don't think you would like it then I say don't go. Although King's College is a great university, I know there are others which have a specific media course (for instance Goldsmiths media and communications course - its 8th best in the word on QS rankings for media and communications). Don't just go because its a great university, if you don't feel like the course content is interesting for you, I think maybe apply to keep it as an option but see towards the end how your opinion changes!

I’ve applied to Goldsmiths, City and KCL for media but I’m unsure of whether the job opportunities are same for whichever university you go to. Does KCL give you a better shot at getting work in London?
heyy!
I was in the exact same position as you were: I really want to be a journalist, and work in the digital field, but I was really afraid that studying Digital Culture would end up restricting my ability to work in tv or newspapers if i wanted to.

Although the course does sound interesting, I ended up choosing to go for Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam because I feel like it will give me a broader idea of how it's like to work in the media, in general. And, as you said, not studying journalism at undergraduate level doesn't mean I can't get into it afterwards. But, like the one at King's the course I chose is very theoretical, so if you think you would like to learn more about the practical side of journalism right away, then I would say go for the degree at City!

Hey! I've got an offer for Digital culture from KCL and Communication Science from UvA and I'm not sure which course id like better. could you tell me more about how the course at Amsterdam is so that I have abroad idea? Thank you !
could you tell me more about the modules now that you are a student at kings and are studying digital culture?
hello students!

I am also interested in knowing how are you finding the course!
Reply 14
Original post by kingscollegedg

Hello. Did you end up completing the course at DMC KCL? Did you ever enjoy it? Did it help you get the job you wanted? Im considering their offer now so I'm curious and interested to hear first hand exp. Thanks
Original post by alisunya

Hiiii!
I'm currently a lower sixth student and interest in applying for Digital Culture! I'm so nervous now because I don't know what can I get for my predict grades. What have you choose for A-level and what have you got for your predict grades? (Sorry to bother you
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending