The Student Room Group

How to Revise in the Easter Holidays [Guide]

Welcome to the Easter "What should I be revising now" guide! The place to guide you through different revision methods during the holiday, as well as keeping care of yourself, and what to do if you haven't properly started yet. You can also look back on our previous guides in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Here are some great ideas of methods you can use to revise over Easter, written by @furryface12 :smile:
Easter is all about starting revision properly, or stepping it up a gear if you're already underway. Here are five things you can do:

- Notes . Organise the ones you have and work out where you have gaps missing, or where you don't quite understand and might need to redo them. This can be from textbooks, revision guides, online resources for your specifications, classroom handouts or a combination of all of these.

- Revision cards . Some people use these only for definitions or formulae, some do their whole notes on these. But either way they break things down into little chunks that you can keep testing yourself on over the next couple of months.

- ‎Posters to stick up round your room or house. Then you'll keep seeing them, when you're getting dressed or brushing your teeth or whatever. Keep moving them round so you don't always look at the same ones, or you could have a subject per area or room.

- ‎Recordings to keep listening to. This can work particularly well for say poems, audio-books (especially if you have a closed-book exam) or music, but really they can be anything. You can have it on while you're going to sleep or on the bus.

- ‎Specifications . Each subject will have one of these, check with your teachers or a friend if you're not sure which one you're on. They tell you exactly what you need to know for each exam and you can go through them to identify what your revision priorities should be (maybe colour code or highlight them).

There are other things you can do. Try to avoid past papers at this stage other than to show where you have gaps in your knowledge- save them for later. Right now it's best make sure you have at least a basic grounding in everything for each subject. Make a basic timetable, (not too ambitious) and try to stick to it. You might want to work to your usual school timetable- keeping the evenings and weekends free! Good luck!

This Easter is likely to be filled with revision for the upcoming exams, but that makes it even more important to keep care of yourself too. There's a long exam season coming up and if you're not feeling rested at the end of the holidays it's going to make it difficult to get through. So what should you do?

- Make sure you take a few hours off every single day . Whether that be time to take a lie in, or go shopping or just do anything unrelated to school work, you need to have some time not working each day.

- Take a few complete days off . Days when you're constantly thinking about the work you have to do aren't going to relax your mind, so it's really good to set a few days aside and say you won't do any work on these days. You can take these at the beginning or end of a holiday (everyone does it differently), but they're really important whatever. You might feel you don't have time for this, but if you don't take them you might end up more stressed next term when you want to take time off even less

- Other really important things to keep up is good habits . It's not good for you to keep studying ridiculously long hours until 2am, make sure you sleep at least as much as you would if it was term time (or more if you like). Eating consistently is also crucial, as this gives your body the energy it needs to concentrate.

- However, while it is important to take breaks, these should be scheduled , so don't feel tempted after 10 minutes to say well I need to take plenty of breaks and take a 20 minute break. It's breaks to break up the studying, not studying to break up the breaks. :wink:

- Finally, the most important thing: listen to your body . If you're yawning at 8pm, it might be best to take an early night. If you're really hungry, have a healthy snack. At the end of the day, if your body is healthy, it's going to be in a better position for studying. So listen to it.

If you are struggling to cope with the stress, please read this guide to keep yourself safe and well, and use the contacts there to get more help if you need to.

Last of all, here's some tips on what to do if you haven't already started consistent revision written by @brainzistheword
- First of all, don’t get overwhelmed by it all. Easier said than done, I know, but set aside some time to plan out what you need to cover in the time you have left. Get a copy of your upcoming exams so you can prioritise those coming first and see if you’ll have any time in between later exams for anything last minute.

- Having a plan means your revision sessions will be more structured and you won’t waste any more time trying to figure out what to do. Within your plan, as above, make sure you have breaks - there’s nothing more important than taking care of yourself.

- I’d also suggest looking more at past papers as a way to identify where your weaknesses lie , you have limited time and don’t need to spend it on stuff you know. Most subjects are limited in their number of papers, so maybe use mini tests from class questions or ask your teacher for a copy of an old mock test. You may even be able to find other people’s resources , such as flashcards, that you can use to test your knowledge . Using someone else’s (as long as they are accurate) will save you a lot of time as you won’t need to create them yourself.

These next few weeks and months are going to be tough, but each and everyone one of you will get through it :rave:
Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yeh this helps alot , thank you
I'll probably still end up doing nothing till next week... lel (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
I'll probably still end up doing nothing till next week... lel (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I'm going to do mind maps, notes and start recordings for poems
BUT i can't rest, sorry, I have a major LIterature gcse this year and want to get a 9
I'll probably do around 7-10 hrs per day for this week and do 5 hrs a day next week
Original post by Anonymous697989
BUT i can't rest, sorry, I have a major LIterature gcse this year and want to get a 9
I'll probably do around 7-10 hrs per day for this week and do 5 hrs a day next week

Be careful not to overwork yourself.
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Be careful not to overwork yourself.

i accidentally did that today and now have a banging headache
imma take a rest and start my next session at 5
Great tips :smile:

That seems wildly excessive for a single GCSE, it's your choice but that sort of work is definitely not necessary even to get the top grades.
Original post by HopelessMedic
That seems wildly excessive for a single GCSE, it's your choice but that sort of work is definitely not necessary even to get the top grades.

Firstly, it said that students doing GCSE and a level should be doing at least 7 hrs revision in this easter.
I already promised myself to work hard on this Easter break as I only did essays before. I need to make mind maps and notes on characters and themes and by the end of the break, I will only need to go through them.
Secondly, I'm sure a 9 is like 89-95% and that's the only grade I would be satisfied with due to my extreme hrs I put in and even a 8 would make me slightly annoyed.
Thanks, for your help, I'm taking a break now and surfing TSR but I'll get back to my session at around 5:00-5:30.
thx again
i accidentally did that today and now have a banging headache
imma take a rest and start my next session at 5

Do something that relaxes you and maybe take the rest of the day off if you can, it's more beneficial to have a break than to do too much work :smile:
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Do something that relaxes you and maybe take the rest of the day off if you can, it's more beneficial to have a break than to do too much work :smile:

There's a revision session guide on TSR by Protostar where you do 1 and a half then take half an hour. This works out very well for me and I just watch pranks/trolling/gameplay in the break. I'll only ever take a real break after GCSE because this sht is stressful and I want to go to a KE sixth form as my cousin goes there and I missed the grammar test opportunity and it's great and competitive
For the next couple hours I'm going to do an essay plan and a mind map then just read through Jekyll and Hyde.
Firstly, it said that students doing GCSE and a level should be doing at least 7 hrs revision in this easter.
I already promised myself to work hard on this Easter break as I only did essays before. I need to make mind maps and notes on characters and themes and by the end of the break, I will only need to go through them.
Secondly, I'm sure a 9 is like 89-95% and that's the only grade I would be satisfied with due to my extreme hrs I put in and even a 8 would make me slightly annoyed.
Thanks, for your help, I'm taking a break now and surfing TSR but I'll get back to my session at around 5:00-5:30.
thx again

Everyone will have a different opinion, and just because one guide says you should do 7 hours that doesn't mean you should. Similarly just because i think that 7 hours is way over the top for GCSE's it doesn't mean you should listen to me either, take everything you read with a pinch of salt.

Find out what works for you, although i would suggest that if your current method is giving you a literal headache then perhaps you should look at changing it :wink:
Everyone will have a different opinion, and just because one guide says you should do 7 hours that doesn't mean you should. Similarly just because i think that 7 hours is way over the top for GCSE's it doesn't mean you should listen to me either, take everything you read with a pinch of salt.

Find out what works for you, although i would suggest that if your current method is giving you a literal headache then perhaps you should look at changing it :wink:

I mostly take advice from TSR cuz real-life advice is sht
also, I'm not pressured by what the news said i just wanna do well on this exam as I might fail my maths or science.
I stop occasionally and watch naruto episodes :smile:
I started this method of following the TSR revision guide(ou should check it out!) it helps me and i stopped doing flashcards and do mind maps and recordings. I will take mild break next week and maybe play fortnite at my cousins house!
thanks for your great advice,
I mostly take advice from TSR cuz real-life advice is sht
also, I'm not pressured by what the news said i just wanna do well on this exam as I might fail my maths or science.
I stop occasionally and watch naruto episodes :smile:
I started this method of following the TSR revision guide(ou should check it out!) it helps me and i stopped doing flashcards and do mind maps and recordings. I will take mild break next week and maybe play fortnite at my cousins house!
thanks for your great advice,

No worries, you're clearly very driven and work hard which is a great thing at your stage so i'm sure you'll do well :smile:
No worries, you're clearly very driven and work hard which is a great thing at your stage so i'm sure you'll do well :smile:

thanks alot
imma start my session now
gl to you too!
:hugs: Thanks!!
Original post by Lemur14
Welcome to the Easter "What should I be revising now" guide! The place to guide you through different revision methods during the holiday, as well as keeping care of yourself, and what to do if you haven't properly started yet. You can also look back on our previous guides in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Here are some great ideas of methods you can use to revise over Easter, written by @furryface12 :smile:
Easter is all about starting revision properly, or stepping it up a gear if you're already underway. Here are five things you can do:

- Notes . Organise the ones you have and work out where you have gaps missing, or where you don't quite understand and might need to redo them. This can be from textbooks, revision guides, online resources for your specifications, classroom handouts or a combination of all of these.

- Revision cards . Some people use these only for definitions or formulae, some do their whole notes on these. But either way they break things down into little chunks that you can keep testing yourself on over the next couple of months.

- ‎Posters to stick up round your room or house. Then you'll keep seeing them, when you're getting dressed or brushing your teeth or whatever. Keep moving them round so you don't always look at the same ones, or you could have a subject per area or room.

- ‎Recordings to keep listening to. This can work particularly well for say poems, audio-books (especially if you have a closed-book exam) or music, but really they can be anything. You can have it on while you're going to sleep or on the bus.

- ‎Specifications . Each subject will have one of these, check with your teachers or a friend if you're not sure which one you're on. They tell you exactly what you need to know for each exam and you can go through them to identify what your revision priorities should be (maybe colour code or highlight them).

There are other things you can do. Try to avoid past papers at this stage other than to show where you have gaps in your knowledge- save them for later. Right now it's best make sure you have at least a basic grounding in everything for each subject. Make a basic timetable, (not too ambitious) and try to stick to it. You might want to work to your usual school timetable- keeping the evenings and weekends free! Good luck!

This Easter is likely to be filled with revision for the upcoming exams, but that makes it even more important to keep care of yourself too. There's a long exam season coming up and if you're not feeling rested at the end of the holidays it's going to make it difficult to get through. So what should you do?

- Make sure you take a few hours off every single day . Whether that be time to take a lie in, or go shopping or just do anything unrelated to school work, you need to have some time not working each day.

- Take a few complete days off . Days when you're constantly thinking about the work you have to do aren't going to relax your mind, so it's really good to set a few days aside and say you won't do any work on these days. You can take these at the beginning or end of a holiday (everyone does it differently), but they're really important whatever. You might feel you don't have time for this, but if you don't take them you might end up more stressed next term when you want to take time off even less

- Other really important things to keep up is good habits . It's not good for you to keep studying ridiculously long hours until 2am, make sure you sleep at least as much as you would if it was term time (or more if you like). Eating consistently is also crucial, as this gives your body the energy it needs to concentrate.

- However, while it is important to take breaks, these should be scheduled , so don't feel tempted after 10 minutes to say well I need to take plenty of breaks and take a 20 minute break. It's breaks to break up the studying, not studying to break up the breaks. :wink:

- Finally, the most important thing: listen to your body . If you're yawning at 8pm, it might be best to take an early night. If you're really hungry, have a healthy snack. At the end of the day, if your body is healthy, it's going to be in a better position for studying. So listen to it.

If you are struggling to cope with the stress, please read this guide to keep yourself safe and well, and use the contacts there to get more help if you need to.

Last of all, here's some tips on what to do if you haven't already started consistent revision written by @brainzistheword
- First of all, don’t get overwhelmed by it all. Easier said than done, I know, but set aside some time to plan out what you need to cover in the time you have left. Get a copy of your upcoming exams so you can prioritise those coming first and see if you’ll have any time in between later exams for anything last minute.

- Having a plan means your revision sessions will be more structured and you won’t waste any more time trying to figure out what to do. Within your plan, as above, make sure you have breaks - there’s nothing more important than taking care of yourself.

- I’d also suggest looking more at past papers as a way to identify where your weaknesses lie , you have limited time and don’t need to spend it on stuff you know. Most subjects are limited in their number of papers, so maybe use mini tests from class questions or ask your teacher for a copy of an old mock test. You may even be able to find other people’s resources , such as flashcards, that you can use to test your knowledge . Using someone else’s (as long as they are accurate) will save you a lot of time as you won’t need to create them yourself.

These next few weeks and months are going to be tough, but each and everyone one of you will get through it :rave:
Good luck!

Help me revise please!!!????
i failed most of my mocks...rip me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending