The Student Room Group

Is it important to study history at school?

Hey guys I have to write an essay (up to 500words) answering the question “is it important to study history at school”. I’m looking for some ideas and I would be glad to hear what you think😅
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dilyanailieva01
Hey guys I have to write an essay (up to 500words) answering the question “is it important to study history at school”. I’m looking for some ideas and I would be glad to hear what you think😅

Tbf they are more interested in what you think?

Think about what you might learn about studying and understanding the past. Its also open to you to say it isnt important and has lots of negatives, but do support your argument with logical reasons.

You can also use google.
Reply 2
Google by all means but don't take for granted the first thing that comes up in the search results. Ensure it is verified buy a number of sources
Original post by unbrako
Google by all means but don't take for granted the first thing that comes up in the search results. Ensure it is verified buy a number of sources

Why would it need to be verified? They are just asking for an opinion. At some stage the person needs to have a little common sense..

I agree with 999tigger, it’s a matter of your own opinions as it’s a personal response. Personally, I find history is important to learn at school(and in any place, scenario or time) as it is a method of learning our mistakes/the mistakes of our ancestors in order to prevent the same mistakes from happening. Humans are complex, yet simplistic all at once: we often repeat the same mistakes and errors over and over again. So it is key that we deduce what led to the aforementioned errors.
Reply 5
of course studying history is important history is the societal equivalent of learning as we seek to understand how events occured in the past and how this affected the world and as a result better understand how to progress into the future.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Why would it need to be verified? They are just asking for an opinion. At some stage the person needs to have a little common sense..

because there's an awful lot of complete and utter rubbish out there
Original post by unbrako
because there's an awful lot of complete and utter rubbish out there

Wouldnt a person have some common sense?

In terms of the OP, it isn't asking for a factual answer, it is asking for opinion.

Are you capable of having an opinion without need to verify it with others?
Reply 8
Tudors and Stuarts history is complete rubbish

You can study it at home. Come to think of it, you can study any non-laboratory subject at home. No need to go to school at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending