The Student Room Group

Student Finance query

Hi All,

I'm a mature student with an HND (in Travel and Tourism Management). Sadly since achieving this in 1999(!) it has proved near-on useless in the job world - especially as I have been working in mostly Education and more recently Health & Social Care!
So, my question is...I am about to apply to study Occupational Therapy (so a health related degree) and wondered whether I would be eligible for funding for the full 3 years degree course as a) I am changing career and b) this is a health related subject?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, including the likelihood of asking for some sort of appeal for full funding based on the info above.
Original post by RachB*
Hi All,

I'm a mature student with an HND (in Travel and Tourism Management). Sadly since achieving this in 1999(!) it has proved near-on useless in the job world - especially as I have been working in mostly Education and more recently Health & Social Care!
So, my question is...I am about to apply to study Occupational Therapy (so a health related degree) and wondered whether I would be eligible for funding for the full 3 years degree course as a) I am changing career and b) this is a health related subject?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, including the likelihood of asking for some sort of appeal for full funding based on the info above.

Have you checked you meet the entry requirements?

As for funding, then the rules changed last year and yes imo you would be allowed full funding (to the extent you meet the normal requirements) as its one of the health related degrees.
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/considering-or-university/financial-support-university
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/occupational-therapist/entry-requirements-and-training-occupational
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RachB*
Hi All,

Hi RachB*,

You will be pleased to know as Occupational Therapy is on the list of approved Allied Health Professional Courses.

Allied Health Professional Courses will be exempt from previous study and ELQ rules.

Therefore even if you already held a degree or have previous study you will still be eligible to access the full package of funding.

Thanks Rona
Reply 3
Thank you Rona. This is fab news 😁👍🏻
Original post by RachB*
Thank you Rona. This is fab news 😁👍🏻

Hi RachB*,

You are welcome.

You should apply now as we advise all students to have their applications in by 25 May 2018.

Applications received after the deadline date will still be processed, but we cannot guarantee the student will receive their first payment at the start of their academic year.

Applications must be with with us no later than 9 months after the start of the academic year to qualify for student finance.

Thanks Rona
Reply 5
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi RachB*,

You are welcome.

You should apply now as we advise all students to have their applications in by 25 May 2018.

Applications received after the deadline date will still be processed, but we cannot guarantee the student will receive their first payment at the start of their academic year.

Applications must be with with us no later than 9 months after the start of the academic year to qualify for student finance.

Thanks Rona

Thank you Rona. This is very helpful. Will be submitting my UCAS application this week.

Can I apply for finance before my place at uni is confirmed?

Many thanks for your help.
Original post by RachB*
Thank you Rona. This is very helpful. Will be submitting my UCAS application this week.

Can I apply for finance before my place at uni is confirmed?

Many thanks for your help.

Hi RachB*,

You do not need a confirmed place on a particular course to make you application and get your support in place.

Apply using your first choice, you can easily make changes to your university and course details online later, should you need to.

Thanks Rona
Reply 7
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi RachB*,

You do not need a confirmed place on a particular course to make you application and get your support in place.

Apply using your first choice, you can easily make changes to your university and course details online later, should you need to.

Thanks Rona

Thank you Rona 👍🏻Will do 😁
Original post by RachB*
Thank you Rona 👍🏻Will do 😁

Hi RachB*,

You are welcome.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending