The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Oxbridge?

I am at a very odd spot. Basically, I could miss my grades for my firm choice (UCL) and get in my insurance choice (KCL) because of mere decimals, but I still wouldn't be able to join KCL because of financial stuff. (Edinburgh rejected me after a 5 month wait so there goes my true insurance choice lol)
However despite all of that, my grades are very likely still going to slightly surpass both Oxford and Cambridge offer conditions.

I got rejected after my interviews at Oxford. I was pooled for one extra interview and according to the feedback my interview scores were "quite good". The feedback said I was "considered a good candidate but not in the top cohort". My LNAT was a 28.

What worries me is that I dropped grades by like 0.5 decimals between 1st and 2nd of Bachillerato, the Spanish A-level thingy basically. Otherwise I have improved my CV a bit by winning some MUN awards and by the end of the summer I could do the DELF.

What should I do?

TL;DR
Might not make it to uni this year but my grades could surpass the oxbridge offer conditions. Should I reapply?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbsoluteMadlad
I am at a very odd spot. Basically, I could miss my grades for my firm choice (UCL) and get in my insurance choice (KCL) because of mere decimals, but I still wouldn't be able to join KCL because of financial stuff. (Edinburgh rejected me after a 5 month wait so there goes my true insurance choice lol)
However despite all of that, my grades are very likely still going to slightly surpass both Oxford and Cambridge offer conditions.

I got rejected after my interviews at Oxford. I was pooled for one extra interview and according to the feedback my interview scores were "quite good". The feedback said I was "considered a good candidate but not in the top cohort". My LNAT was a 28.

What worries me is that I dropped grades by like 0.5 decimals between 1st and 2nd of Bachillerato, the Spanish A-level thingy basically. Otherwise I have improved my CV a bit by winning some MUN awards and by the end of the summer I could do the DELF.

What should I do?

TL;DR
Might not make it to uni this year but my grades could surpass the oxbridge offer conditions. Should I reapply?

I'm a bit confused, from your post it sounds like you're not going to be able to go to KCL anyway, but would you be able to go to UCL if you got in? If you missed out on UCL, what would be your realistic next option? Are there other universities (e.g. in Spain) that you've applied to?

There are a lot of factors involved in this decision and it basically depends on how good you think your alternatives are relative to Oxbridge. If you got into UCL and you could afford to go there then I'd definitely recommend staying there and not reapplying. If you don't get into UCL and all of your alternatives for university entry this year are unacceptable to you then sure, reapply. Just do bear in mind that simply having the required grades for Oxbridge doesn't mean that you're in any way guaranteed a place, since almost everybody who applies to Oxbridge ends up achieving the minimum required grades regardless of whether they're accepted or not. The fact that you got quite positive interview feedback is a good sign, but it's still possible that you could be rejected second time round too.

The best way to improve your reapplication is to focus on your academics. Extracurriculars like MUN are not very relevant.
Yo soy y lo volvería a intentar. Parece que la primera vez no te dejaron entrar porque había mucha peña, a lo mejor esta vez no hay tanta. Lee muchos libros sobre tu carrera y mejora tu personal statement. Pide ayuda por internet.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
TL;DR

The typical Law offer at Cambridge is A*AA so if you are missing the KCL requirements I doubt Cambridge is an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm a bit confused, from your post it sounds like you're not going to be able to go to KCL anyway, but would you be able to go to UCL if you got in? If you missed out on UCL, what would be your realistic next option? Are there other universities (e.g. in Spain) that you've applied to?

There are a lot of factors involved in this decision and it basically depends on how good you think your alternatives are relative to Oxbridge. If you got into UCL and you could afford to go there then I'd definitely recommend staying there and not reapplying. If you don't get into UCL and all of your alternatives for university entry this year are unacceptable to you then sure, reapply. Just do bear in mind that simply having the required grades for Oxbridge doesn't mean that you're in any way guaranteed a place, since almost everybody who applies to Oxbridge ends up achieving the minimum required grades regardless of whether they're accepted or not. The fact that you got quite positive interview feedback is a good sign, but it's still possible that you could be rejected second time round too.

The best way to improve your reapplication is to focus on your academics. Extracurriculars like MUN are not very relevant.

UCL has a better bursary and more grands I could access than KCL, so yes, chances are I could go there if I met the conditions, in the worst case scenario I would have to take a small loan from a bank.
I would love to go to Universidad Carlos III, they have some marvelous scholarships and my grades are already enough for the course I want, but if I were to enroll there I would still take one year off to work and save some money.

By the way, do you think having one more language at an intermediate level would improve my chances?
Reply 5
Original post by oKeeffeKahlo
Yo soy y lo volvería a intentar. Parece que la primera vez no te dejaron entrar porque había mucha peña, a lo mejor esta vez no hay tanta. Lee muchos libros sobre tu carrera y mejora tu personal statement. Pide ayuda por internet.

Spoiler

Thanks, I've moved your translation into the original post :smile:

The number of Law applicants doesn't vary hugely each year - Oxbridge courses are always oversubscribed :smile:
do you think that the stuff he’s been doing this past year could help him get in?

Original post by Doonesbury
Thanks, I've moved your translation into the original post :smile:

The number of Law applicants doesn't vary hugely each year - Oxbridge courses are always oversubscribed :smile:

Spoiler

No se, todos los años se apunta más gente que el año anterior desde hace un tiempo. Es raro, conozco a gente con mejores notas que yo que ni tuvo una entrevista, no se ni por qué me dieron una ni por qué, me rechazaron :frown:

Idk, I've read that every year is more competitive than the last. It's just weird, I know people with better grades than me that didn't get an interview. Idk why I was invited and I sure don't know why I was rejected
Reply 8
do you think that the stuff he’s been doing this past year could help him get in?

Not if he doesn't have the grades.

Also the interviewer said "quite good", which wasn't good enough first time around., and a score of 28 in LNAT isn't very encouraging :frown: (average is about 50, and is likely somewhat higher for Oxford).

I think it would be a long shot.
The typical Law offer at Cambridge is A*AA so if you are missing the KCL requirements I doubt Cambridge is an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, no, I can meet the KCL requirements, but surprisingly they are higher than Cambridge's and Oxford's for Spanish students, and equal to LSE's. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true:

KCL: NAU (40% Overall EBAU grades +60% overall grade of two years of class) = 9.0 and in the 4 part EBAU exam at least one 10 and two 9.0.

Cambridge: NAU= 9.0 + At least two 9.0s in the EBAU

Oxford: NAU= 9.0

Sorry I took long to reply, I was checking my KCL offer just in case I was mistaken

Also the interviewer said "quite good", which wasn't good enough first time around., and a score of 28 in LNAT isn't very encouraging :frown: (average is about 50, and is likely somewhat higher for Oxford).

Hear me out, I do believe my interviews were awful and they might have just tried to be nice, but the maximum grade for the LNAT is a 42! The average for the college I was in was about 29 I think! Maybe you confused it with the TSA (which is so hard omg). I appreciate your honesty sincerely btw, you helped me so much when I was still waiting for Edinburgh!
Reply 11
No, no, I can meet the KCL requirements, but surprisingly they are higher than Cambridge's and Oxford's for Spanish students, and equal to LSE's. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true:

KCL: NAU (40% Overall EBAU grades +60% overall grade of two years of class) = 9.0 and in the 4 part EBAU exam at least one 10 and two 9.0.

Cambridge: NAU= 9.0 + At least two 9.0s in the EBAU

Oxford: NAU= 9.0

Sorry I took long to reply, I was checking my KCL offer just in case I was mistaken

Ok, but a post-qualification applicant would be advised to exceed the minimum requirement to be competitive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Hear me out, I do believe my interviews were awful and they might have just tried to be nice, but the maximum grade for the LNAT is a 42! The average for the college I was in was about 29 I think! Maybe you confused it with the TSA (which is so hard omg). I appreciate your honesty sincerely btw, you helped me so much when I was still waiting for Edinburgh!

Ah ok I though you were giving a %. That's good then :smile:

But I'd still recommend taking the UCL offer tbh, but you can always reapply to Oxford whilst at UCL if you really want to.
No se, todos los años se apunta más gente que el año anterior desde hace un tiempo. Es raro, conozco a gente con mejores notas que yo que ni tuvo una entrevista, no se ni por qué me dieron una ni por qué, me rechazaron :frown:

Idk, I've read that every year is more competitive than the last. It's just weird, I know people with better grades than me that didn't get an interview. Idk why I was invited and I sure don't know why I was rejected

Hey man, don’t let your hopes down, If they chose you before the others it’s because you stand out. It seems like last time you didn’t get in by an inch, take the opportunity this summer to read, work (if you can), write essays etc... If in second of Bachillerato french (for example) was what brought down your average, get your delf diploma so Oxford can see that you’ve improved. Rewrite your personal statement, show it to someone on here, I bet someone would love to help

Oye pues macho, no te desanimes, si te cogieron a ti antes que a los otros es porque destacas. Parece que la última vez no te cogieron por los pelos, aprovecha este verano para leer, trabajar si puedes, escribir essays etc... Si en segundo de bachillerato te bajó la media una asignatura como (por ejemplo) Francés, sácate el delf para demostrarles que has mejorado. Si es matemáticas, lee libros, ve a clases, a charlas o algo. Reescribe tu ps, enséñaselo a alguien de aquí que seguro que te ayudan
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok, but a post-qualification applicant would be advised to exceed the minimum requirement to be competitive. And my other comment to KeeffeKahlo still applies....

You know what? Right now I am talking about hypothetical situations, a million things could happen, my grades could realistically either crash into a 8.8 or rise into a 9.3 NAU. I won't know what to do until I have them, and lucky me, I will have them in May, way before Brittish students have theirs (right?). If I get the minimum or lower I will follow your advice, if I rise around a 9.2/9.3 with good EBAU grades I will consider reapplying.
Ah ok I though you were giving a %. That's good then :smile:

But I'd still recommend taking the UCL offer tbh, but you can always reapply to Oxford whilst at UCL if you really want to.

Wait, super super dumb question, but does reapplying while holding an offer for deferred entry or while studying at UCL lower my chances?
Sorry for making soo many questions, again, I really appreciate your advice
You know what? Right now I am talking about hypothetical situations, a million things could happen, my grades could realistically either crash into a 8.8 or rise into a 9.3 NAU. I won't know what to do until I have them, and lucky me, I will have them in May, way before Brittish students have theirs (right?). If I get the minimum or lower I will follow your advice, if I rise around a 9.2/9.3 with good EBAU grades I will consider reapplying.

In cambridge they don’t ask for selectividad right?

The average LNAT score is 29 for Oxford applicants who were accepted in 2016.
The highest score was 36.
The average score of all applicants was 26.

Link to source:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/313091/response/770545/attach/html/2/Krohn%20Ltr.docx.html
Hey man, don’t let your hopes down, If they chose you before the others it’s because you stand out. It seems like last time you didn’t get in by an inch, take the opportunity this summer to read, work (if you can), write essays etc... If in second of Bachillerato french (for example) was what brought down your average, get your delf diploma so Oxford can see that you’ve improved. Rewrite your personal statement, show it to someone on here, I bet someone would love to help

Oye pues macho, no te desanimes, si te cogieron a ti antes que a los otros es porque destacas. Parece que la última vez no te cogieron por los pelos, aprovecha este verano para leer, trabajar si puedes, escribir essays etc... Si en segundo de bachillerato te bajó la media una asignatura como (por ejemplo) Francés, sácate el delf para demostrarles que has mejorado. Si es matemáticas, lee libros, ve a clases, a charlas o algo. Reescribe tu ps, enséñaselo a alguien de aquí que seguro que te ayudan

Tienes razón, no es mala estrategia. Realmente me baja la media lengua :frown:( tuvimos una profesora que nos hacía todo el trabajo en 1ero y otra muy severa en 2ndo, leo muchísimo y no se me da mal la sintaxis pero en fin, la media de la clase es un 5 como mucho. Se que no es culpa de ninguna profe pero sigue siendo frustrante no ser capaz de mejorar y pasar de 9s a 7s de la noche a la mañana. Gracias por los consejos de veras :smile:

You're right, it's not a bad strategy. Spanish Language is what is lowering my grades :frown: , I read a lot and I'm not bad at analyzing phrases, but we switched from having a teacher that did all the work for us in 1st grade to having a very strict teacher in 2nd, the class average must be about a 5/10. I'm working on it, I know no teacher is at fault for my mistakes but it's just getting hard to improve...
Thank you for your advice!
Reply 19

Yes English & Welsh students get their grades on 16th August.

Wait, super super dumb question, but does reapplying while holding an offer for deferred entry or while studying at UCL lower my chances?
Sorry for making soo many questions, again, I really appreciate your advice

No it doesn't lower your chances for Oxford, but wouldn't be an option for Cambridge.
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/~/can-i-apply-for-an-undergraduate-degree-course-if-i-am-already-studying-at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending