The Student Room Group

The probability that pollution is low on at least one day is equal to 1 - (the probability that pollution is NOT low on all three days).
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
The probability that pollution is low on at least one day is equal to 1 - (the probability that pollution is NOT low on all three days).

0.5 is the probability that it IS low on all three days so why use it?
Why not 1-0.95^3
Original post by esmeralda123
0.5 is the probability that it IS low on all three days so why use it?
Why not 1-0.95^3

did you mean 1 - 0.53 ?
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
did you mean 1 - 0.53 ?

i don't get it. why would do i that?
when it says at least 1 day, i think 1 day with low level (0.5) , 2 days with low level and three days with low level
so why would i substract 1 from 3 days with low level?
when it says at least 1 day, i think 1 day with low level (0.5) , 2 days with low level and three days with low level

Well, if you want, you can calculate the probability of low pollution on exactly one day + the probability of low pollution on exactly two days + the probability of low pollution on exactly three days, but it happens to be a bit easier to do it the other way round as 1 - (the probability of low pollution on exactly no days). In this case I admit the whole thing does look a bit confusing since P(low pollution) and P(not low pollution) are both 0.5.

"at least one day with Low Pollution" is the opposite of "no days with Low Pollution"...
Reply 7
Well, if you want, you can calculate the probability of low pollution on exactly one day + the probability of low pollution on exactly two days + the probability of low pollution on exactly three days, but it happens to be a bit easier to do it the other way round as 1 - (the probability of low pollution on exactly no days). In this case I admit the whole thing does look a bit confusing since P(low pollution) and P(not low pollution) are both 0.5.

ah did you get 0.5 from 0.35+0.15

but what if there is 0.35 medium pollution for three days or 0.15 high pollution for three days?
ah did you get 0.5 from 0.35+0.15

but what if there is 0.35 medium pollution for three days or 0.15 high pollution for three days?

I actually got 0.5 from 1 - 0.5 but 0.35 + 0.15 is just as good. In this context we're not worried about the exact type of "not low pollution", it just has to be "not low", and P(not low) = 0.5.
Reply 9
I actually got 0.5 from 1 - 0.5 but 0.35 + 0.15 is just as good. In this context we're not worried about the exact type of "not low pollution", it just has to be "not low", and P(not low) = 0.5.

also, i know this is not related but when doing hypothesis testing on two-tailed tests
do i always have to test the lower and upper tail when determining the critical region

Quick Reply

Latest