The Student Room Group

can't stick to my revision timetable.. help !!!

so ive made a revision timetable for the next two weeks of holiday and i intend to revise 6 hours a day. it's a thorough plan, stuck it all over the hosue including exam dates and i made a countdown today and i have a diary in which i wirte everything ive done to motivate myself to do more.

so today i decided i could atleast try to prepare for next week and do some revision... But i physically cant. my sister has just had a baby so they keep calling me to do chores and help out and it will be like that for the next month but im also making constant excuses. it's like im too scared too start because the work seems difficult or too chunky but ive broken it down and its still stressing me out. also.. family probs also really distract me and make me feel down.

how do i psychologically manipulate myself to revise like honestly help...

Scroll to see replies

Do as much as you posssobly can without totally running yourself down
The worst thing to do is to think I can't stick to my timetable and so doing no revision at all.
Anything is better than nothing.
Remember to revise smartly.
i feel like you need to put on some intense studying music - it’s what i do and if enables me to revise for such a long time and remember things effectively (provided that i continuously review it and practice my recall of information). literally go onto youtube and search ‘brain focus studying music’ or something like that and you will find loads of things to listen to that will help you focus and remember. good luck!
Original post by ?Hannah?
i feel like you need to put on some intense studying music - it’s what i do and if enables me to revise for such a long time and remember things effectively (provided that i continuously review it and practice my recall of information). literally go onto youtube and search ‘brain focus studying music’ or something like that and you will find loads of things to listen to that will help you focus and remember. good luck!

music makes me daydream
infact its my sole source of distraction if my phone is around ill end up listening to music for like an hour. idk how to stop too
Reply 4
Original post by justanotherchica
music makes me daydream
infact its my sole source of distraction if my phone is around ill end up listening to music for like an hour. idk how to stop too

can you share your timetable please so i can give you some feedback please.
Original post by caymen
can you share your timetable please so i can give you some feedback please.

it's basicallt a grid our school gave us for each day of the week in the holz and it has times too and inside each box you have to plan what you're going to revise for the day. so ive decided to study two subjects day for 6 hours with the 1st subject for 3 hours in the morning from like 9 to 12 or 1pm and the second subject for 2 to 5 or 6 pm. after 6pm im doing light revision like reading text books, reading the news for politics and reading all the set texts for english and doing wider reading too. it's a rough guide so if I wake up a little bit later than usual, i still have to spend 3 or 4 hours doing revsion on the subject.

plz dont tell me to take breaks inbetwee, i probably will but i cant control my breaks. I listen to music and then i go a bit crazy listening for an hour instead of just 15 minutes. ihave the usual lunch and dinner breaks and after 6 i dont have to plan timings around the things I do as its just casual light revision.
Reply 6
Original post by justanotherchica
it's basicallt a grid our school gave us for each day of the week in the holz and it has times too and inside each box you have to plan what you're going to revise for the day. so ive decided to study two subjects day for 6 hours with the 1st subject for 3 hours in the morning from like 9 to 12 or 1pm and the second subject for 2 to 5 or 6 pm. after 6pm im doing light revision like reading text books, reading the news for politics and reading all the set texts for english and doing wider reading too. it's a rough guide so if I wake up a little bit later than usual, i still have to spend 3 or 4 hours doing revsion on the subject.

plz dont tell me to take breaks inbetwee, i probably will but i cant control my breaks. I listen to music and then i go a bit crazy listening for an hour instead of just 15 minutes. ihave the usual lunch and dinner breaks and after 6 i dont have to plan timings around the things I do as its just casual light revision.

It's a good plan is there any chance u can send me the gird please and do u want me to teach u anything or r u okay
(edited 6 years ago)
Same here timetable doesnt work for me coz say if i have to go somewhere or for whatever reason i dont do one section what it says on the timetable then i acc dont do anything and in general they just dont work for me. So what i do is make a list of what you need to do like specifically rather than just saying biology say mitosis or smth and then yh just write down everything and just tick off as soon as you've done them :smile: Hope this helped x
Also watch some motivational videos or do something to motivate you :smile:
Reply 8
They dont work for me either. Too much pressure. I just set mini goals for myself everyday and go from there. This works because I have a pretty decent memory and work is always on my mind so yeah.

The most important thing imo is tracking your progress and knowing exactly where you are. If all the knowledge is good then its just grinding on with past papers. In which case, keep a record of all the papers you do. If you're struggling with entire topics e.g. C4 vectors then just say to yourself "in the next 2/3 hours with breaks im gonna make sure all doubts are cleared". Break it down like that and you'll find that, if youve been revising throughout the year and youve made sure you're on track you probably dont have a HUGE amount of work, just a lot :smile:
Seems hard to say this after all the hard work, but maybe scrap your timetable and go with the flow. For me, I just create a mental timetable of what Im gonna do over easter, which is physics and computing revision, then bang out loads of past papers after easter. (dw my other two subjects are good). If I create a proper timetable, it just demotivates me as I live with my family. Unexpected things can come randomly so If i skip a part, I feel like skipping everything. With mental timetable, I don't feel like that....
Timetables are mental. Scrap. Make a list and work through it.

If I don't do the study session on the timetable. It messes with my mind for the rest of the day -> end up demotivated.
Reply 11
go to the library to revise. the atmosphere just makes you want to work
Reply 12
Original post by Erdsa
go to the library to revise. the atmosphere just makes you want to work

have u ever revised in a hotel room.
Reply 13
Original post by caymen
have u ever revised in a hotel room.

I haven't been in a situation where I had to revise in a hotel room so no. But why did you ask? is it bad?
Reply 14
Original post by Erdsa
I haven't been in a situation where I had to revise in a hotel room so no. But why did you ask? is it bad?

only asked as want to try it as hate revising in college libary. where is the strangest place to revise.
Reply 15
Original post by caymen
only asked as want to try it as hate revising in college libary. where is the strangest place to revise.

public toilets? (idk random place that popped up in my head)
Reply 16
Original post by Erdsa

U had something else in the toilet didn't u
Reply 17
Original post by Erdsa

Do u have any GCSE English recourses u could share with me please
Reply 18
Original post by caymen
U had something else in the toilet didn't u

maybe
Reply 19
Original post by Erdsa
maybe

I know what it was message me and ill tell u. Also where r u from

Quick Reply

Latest