The Student Room Group

S1 hypothesis testing related question

When doing hypothesis testing questions and the probability of success isn't given on the formula sheet and so you need to use your calculator, how are you meant to do the question within the 5 mins or so you should? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it basically trial and error? For two tail tests questions especially, is there a faster way to work out critical values?
Reply 1
Original post by dont know it
When doing hypothesis testing questions and the probability of success isn't given on the formula sheet and so you need to use your calculator, how are you meant to do the question within the 5 mins or so you should? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it basically trial and error? For two tail tests questions especially, is there a faster way to work out critical values?

Is this old spec S1? The probabilities are always in the formula book tables, no?

Also, is this a binomial distribution hypothesis test you're talking about?
Original post by Notnek
Is this old spec S1? The probabilities are always in the formula book tables, no?

Also, is this a binomial distribution hypothesis test you're talking about?

New spec s1 and yes. On the spec it says you may need to use a calculator for cumulative probabilities.
Reply 3
New spec s1 and yes. On the spec it says you may need to use a calculator for cumulative probabilities.

Oh you mean new spec - it’s confusing to call it S1.

For new spec you can use the tables function on your calculator to make things faster. But it’s not slow even if you find single values. If you provide an example question I can show you how to go about it if you tag me tomorrow.
Original post by Notnek
Oh you mean new spec - it’s confusing to call it S1.

For new spec you can use the tables function on your calculator to make things faster. But it’s not slow even if you find single values. If you provide an example question I can show you how to go about it if you tag me tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I use the 'sum of' function to do it usually. However, not all calculators can do it. The paper also forbids calculators which can differentiate(which mine does too) and I'm not sure if you can get a calculator with the 'sum of' function and not differentiation.
Thanks for the advice. I use the 'sum of' function to do it usually. However, not all calculators can do it. The paper also forbids calculators which can differentiate(which mine does too) and I'm not sure if you can get a calculator with the 'sum of' function and not differentiation.

You sure? I use the new wiz one but I'm sure it's allowed (thou it differentiates)?
Original post by thekidwhogames
You sure? I use the new wiz one but I'm sure it's allowed (thou it differentiates)?

Maybe varies from exam board to exam board. I'm doing the edexcel specification(AS Level). I bought the 'practice papers' endorsed by Pearson themselves and it says 'you may use a calculator in both Paper 1 and 2, but it must not have functions for algebra, differentiation and integration, or have retrievable formulae.' It's probably best to ask your teacher, i'm just going off what it says in the book.
Maybe varies from exam board to exam board. I'm doing the edexcel specification(AS Level). I bought the 'practice papers' endorsed by Pearson themselves and it says 'you may use a calculator in both Paper 1 and 2, but it must not have functions for algebra, differentiation and integration, or have retrievable formulae.' It's probably best to ask your teacher, i'm just going off what it says in the book.

Yeah I'm doing Edexcel too (whole thing) but this is quite concerning. I have the Casio Classwiz which can integrate, differentiate, etc. but it's required for the statistics. Will check up - thanks!
Reply 8

Calculus functions are fine as long as they are numerical and not symbolic. E.g. if your calc tells you that the integral of 2x is x^2 + c then it is not allowed. But if it gives you the numerical answer to an integral with limits then it’s fine. Only expensive, sophisticated calculators will do symbolic calculus.

This is the same for all exam boards and the Casio Classwiz is allowed (@thekidwhogames ) Which calculator do you have?
Original post by Notnek
Calculus functions are fine as long as they are numerical and not symbolic. E.g. if your calc tells you that the integral of 2x is x^2 + c then it is not allowed. But if it gives you the numerical answer to an integral with limits then it’s fine. Only expensive, sophisticated calculators will do symbolic calculus.

This is the same for all exam boards and the Casio Classwiz is allowed (@thekidwhogames ) Which calculator do you have?

Yep that's one I have - thanks for the clarification! It's quite amazing with the statistics and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest