The Student Room Group

I need advices from Oxbridge Biosciences successful applicants

I need advices from Oxford Biological Science/Cambridge Bio Natsci offer-holders/current students!

Hi there, I'm an international from Asia (and also a Cambridge rejectee). Here are my academic profiles:

- no IGCSE/GCSEs
- achieved 45/45 in IB (Bio, Chem, Language A at HL, Math, History and Language B at SL)
- some extracurriculars related to bio

Do I stand a chance better for Oxford/Cambridge considering my subject combinations and the levels at which they're taken? I know that the 'standard' requirements are obviously lower at Oxford, but I also found out many Cambridge succesful applicants with lower offers than Oxford's.

Aside, I also worried about my profile in which I only took Math at Standard Level (A level Math = Math HL) while knowing from a friend of mine who also got rejected from Cambridge last year that most succesful applicants to Bio Natsci Cambridge have at least 3 Science/Math A levels (Bio,Chem and Math). Is this the same for Oxford biological sciences' applicants?

I understand that the success rate is also determined by my interview performance and PS/reference, but I'd like to know you guys'opinion about my condition. Any responses will be highly appreciated!

PS. I alr got offers from Imperial, UCL, Durham and Edinburgh, but I'm currently in a gap year and considering to re-apply to Oxbridge next year.
I knew some people who got into Cambridge Biological Natural Sciences with only 2 Science/Math A levels (at other extremes, there are those who got in with 4 science/maths). As far as I know, Math HL will surely make your application more competitive. I might be wrong, tho.

Idk for Oxford, .. anyone?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by eloquent45
I knew some people who got into Cambridge Biological Natural Sciences with only 2 Science/Math A levels (at other extremes, there are those who got in with 4 science/maths). As far as I know, Math HL will surely make your application more competitive. I might be wrong, tho.

Idk for Oxford, .. anyone?

Thanks for your prompt reply!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I need advices from Oxford Biological Science/Cambridge Bio Natsci offer-holders/current students!

Hi there, I'm an international from Asia (and also a Cambridge rejectee). Here are my academic profiles:

- no IGCSE/GCSEs
- achieved 45/45 in IB (Bio, Chem, Language A at HL, Math, History and Language B at SL)

Do I stand a chance better for Oxford/Cambridge considering my subject combinations and the levels at which they're taken? I know that the 'standard' requirements are obviously lower at Oxford, but I also found out many Cambridge succesful applicants with lower offers than Oxford's.

Aside, I also worried about my profile in which I only took Math at Standard Level (A level Math = Math HL) while knowing from a friend of mine who also got rejected from Cambridge last year that most succesful applicants to Bio Natsci Cambridge have at least 3 Science/Math A levels (Bio,Chem and Math). Is this the same for Oxford biological sciences' applicants?

I understand that the success rate is also determined by my interview performance and PS/reference, but I'd like to know you guys'opinion about my condition. Any responses will be highly appreciated!

PS. I alr got offers from Imperial, UCL, Durham and Edinburgh, but I'm currently in a gap year and considering to re-apply to Oxbridge next year.

Pick the course not the admissions process. The courses are not the same.

:smile:

Also ask Peterhouse (a Cambridge college) in their thread here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5269454
Ask Peterhouse 2018 edition!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

- no IGCSE/GCSEs

As you already know, both Unis are highly competitive and most people who apply are rejected. There is no reliable way of predicting whether any given applicant has better chances at one or the other; all you can do is consider your application in relation to the course-specific admission criteria and if you think you can meet them, go for the university that most appeals.

You should note that Oxford divides its Biosciences into 3 separate degrees - Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, and Biomedical Sciences. For Biochem, you need 2 sciences at A Level and A level Maths is also recommended. The other two are slightly less hard-nosed and for Biological Sciences in particular, a good proportion of students won't have done Maths at A Level.

In any case, there is no advantage in taking more than 3 A Levels for any Oxford U/G degree. High grades always trump sheer volume.
Reply 5
Original post by OxFossil

The other two are slightly less hard-nosed and for Biological Sciences in particular, a good proportion of students won't have done Maths at A Level.

In any case, there is no advantage in taking more than 3 A Levels for any Oxford U/G degree. High grades always trump sheer volume.

Can you give me a rough estimation of the proportion of those who hadn’t done 3 Maths/Scieces? Coz that’s my problem, I only had 2 subjects (Bio and Chem) equivalent to A-level. Thanks :smile:
Reply 6

Moved to the Oxbridge forum :smile:
Can you give me a rough estimation of the proportion of those who hadn’t done 3 Maths/Scieces? Coz that’s my problem, I only had 2 subjects (Bio and Chem) equivalent to A-level. Thanks :smile:

My guess - for Biological Sciences only - would be that maybe 25%-ish might have done 2 sciences/Maths, with a third subject being something random. But that could easily be wildly wrong. If you are desperate for stats, try sifting the Oxford admissions sites and/or Freedom of Information request responses e.g. here
Reply 8

If you want Cambridge NatSci stats have a look through
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/geography_and_natural_science_qu

You will find 3 Offer Holders in 2014 with Bio & Chem but no other A-level sciences. 6 in 2013 and 4 in 2012. This is out of approx 500 offer holders per year.

So the chances are rather slim but not zero...
Original post by Doonesbury

You will find 3 Offer Holders in 2014 with Bio & Chem but no other A-level sciences. 6 in 2013 and 4 in 2012. This is out of approx 500 offer holders per year.

@Doonesbury, can you clarify this for me, please. Did you mean 'other A-level sciences' above as 'A-level sciences/math' or simply 'the third science (physics)'?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by eloquent45
@Doonesbury, can you clarify this for me, please. Did you mean 'other A-level sciences' above as 'A-level sciences/math' or simply 'the third science (physics)'?

They had Bio & Chem, but not Physics or Maths.
Original post by Doonesbury
They had Bio & Chem, but not Physics or Maths.

Ah, I see.. as expected. Thanks, @Doonesbury! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending