The Student Room Group

Years of funding

Hello there,

I have been to two different universities for a few months each (studying full time) so have technically used 2 years of support, meaning I only have 2 more years of support remaining from SFE.

I am wanting to start a new 3 year degree in the future - because I only have 2 years of SFE support left after using 2 already, I’m going to have to pay the 9k myself for year one.

I just wanted to check that I am able to pay the 9k myself for year 1 (I won’t be taking out a maintenance loan either for yr1, completely supporting myself) and then, part-way through yr1 when SF applications open, I will apply for maintenance and tuition for year 2 of the course and then again for year 3?

So in summary - I will pay my own tuition fees to the uni in year 1, and then use my remaining years of funding in years 2+3.

Will me paying for myself in year 1 affect my applications for funding for years 2+3 or not? I will still have the 2 years of support remaining won’t I?

Thanks
Original post by Hb1603xx
Hello there,

I have been to two different universities for a few months each (studying full time) so have technically used 2 years of support, meaning I only have 2 more years of support remaining from SFE.

I am wanting to start a new 3 year degree in the future - because I only have 2 years of SFE support left after using 2 already, I’m going to have to pay the 9k myself for year one.

I just wanted to check that I am able to pay the 9k myself for year 1 (I won’t be taking out a maintenance loan either for yr1, completely supporting myself) and then, part-way through yr1 when SF applications open, I will apply for maintenance and tuition for year 2 of the course and then again for year 3?

So in summary - I will pay my own tuition fees to the uni in year 1, and then use my remaining years of funding in years 2+3.

Will me paying for myself in year 1 affect my applications for funding for years 2+3 or not? I will still have the 2 years of support remaining won’t I?

Thanks

You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study.

Self funding has no effect on what SFE will pay for those 2 years.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
You're entitled to length of course 1 - previous years study.

Self funding has no effect on what SFE will pay for those 2 years.

@Tiger Rag
Hi there. So can I just clarify on what you’re saying? I’ve used up 2 years. If I pay for myself in year 1 or a new course, SF will be able to support me for the last 2? I was confused as I wasn’t sure if, if I pay for myself in year 1 of the new course, will student finance see that I’ve ‘used up 3 years’ and then say I have to pay for myself in the next year (year 2) of the degree too?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hb1603xx
Hello there,

Thanks

Hi Hb1603xx,

The number of years previous study that you have had will be taken into account when calculating your future support.

We allow you one additional year of support, should you need to repeat a year of study or start a different course.

On the information that you have provided, that you have already received two years of funding where you withdrew, this is how you will be assessed if you were to undertake a new three year course.

3years (the length of new course)+1 additional year =4 years
minus 2 years previous study
= 2 years full funding available.

What this means is year one, you will receive a means tested Maintenance Loan only and DSA if applicable.

Year two and three, you will receive full support including the Tuition Fee Loan.

You may wish us to take into account any mitigating circumstances, also known as Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) if any, that prevented you from completing any year in the past.

If you can provide evidence of this then the assessors will review and if accepted can award an additional year of support including the Tuition Fee.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending