The Student Room Group

How to get a grade 9 in GCSE Maths

Hello, this is my brother's account and I wanted to know how to get a grade 9 in GCSE maths? Which textbooks would you reccomend? I am doing Edexcel and just wanted to resources that would help me get a grade 9. I am working at a grade 7 and just can't get past this grade? any advice would be appreciated?
Hey, I'm on AQA but I'm on a grade 9 at the mo. I recommend:
Learning the topic, then testing yourself on the topics. Do every level of difficulty of problems as any can come up. Repeat this for everything you don't know.

I don't use any textbooks tbh as I find them p useless but that's just my opinion. If you are using any at all, please let it be the collins. I find the cgp is too bants and the one I have for my spec isn't too helpful. I think you should have a look at the papers you've done and identify what areas you are weak on and really focus on them. E.g.- you got a vectors q wrong so learn about vectors. If your school has access to a maths programme such as mathswatch, I can't recommend that enough, I find them useful as it feels like you have a teacher teaching the content to you (I learn well this way). It honestly depends how you learn, I guess. Anther thing that will help you is attempting all questions, if you don't already. Even if you're not sure on the q, you can still get maeks for working out.

Good luck on your exams, I'm sure if you put the hard work in you'll get the 9 you deserve :smile:
Reply 2
thanks, can you please explain how you specifically revise maths and where you get the questions from? i plan on to do all practice papers (9-1) types from edexcel and aqa as my schooo gave them to us do 39 in total.
Original post by CashBlack
thanks, can you please explain how you specifically revise maths and where you get the questions from? i plan on to do all practice papers (9-1) types from edexcel and aqa as my schooo gave them to us do 39 in total.

I look through the specimen/sample assessment materials available for my spec, they're useful to get you thinking and problem solving. Thats what the exam board wants you to do. In a google search I've found 2 sets of gcse papers:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/exam-materials/GCSE-9-1-Maths-Specimen-Papers-Set-2.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-Mathematics-2015-SAM.pdf

If you practice questions like this, it'll help you in the exam. In my opinion AQA papers are easier than edexcel so I'd look at other boards like eduqas and ocr, they have specimens on their website.

The best way that I have revised is by learning from my mistakes (as cringy as it sounds). If you are able to get the papers that you've got a 7 on (btw I think a 7 is bloomin brill thats an A in old money terms), have a look at the questions you've gone wrong on. Identify why you've got it wrong and then see how you can improve in future. Is it: because you don't know the topic that well? If so I'd watch a youtube video on it (hegarty maths on youtube/other youtube people are honestly so helpful). When I've done that, I'd re-attempt the question, and if I was able to do it, I'd say, thats good, bc I've amended that area, so if it comes up again I'm able to understand and answer it. There are many online resources w other questions, such as corbett maths/just maths etc etc that have worksheets and questions you can test yourself on. If your problem with answering the question was the method, I'd say practice it but don't fret too much about that. If you're able to see how you'd do it correctly then you've learnt from it. Our teachers gave us this grid thing w all the topics we needed to go over bc we'd got them wrong in the exam and I thought that really helped. If they don't do that, maybe make one yourself? It'll help your revision sessions be useful ones.

I'd just say don't be complacent, do revise. I spent my year 10 days coasting through on a grade 5 when I should've been a 7, bc I thought oo maths is my strong area. I revised at the beginning of y11 and in my first exam I went from a 5 to a 9. I revised through making flashcards on topics and trying questions. I think that if you have the belief in yourself to get a 9 (and the knowledge you need), you will succeed in the exams and get the 9 you want :smile: Remember to keep going over your flashcards tho, over time your retention will decrease if you don't keep looking through them.
Reply 4
best thing is to use maths genie personally its really good for maths especially for yourself as you want to achieve a grade beyond a grade 7
Reply 5
best thing is to use maths genie personally its really good for maths especially for yourself as you want to achieve a grade beyond a grade 7

Hello, this is my brother's account and I wanted to know how to get a grade 9 in GCSE maths? Which textbooks would you reccomend? I am doing Edexcel and just wanted to resources that would help me get a grade 9. I am working at a grade 7 and just can't get past this grade? any advice would be appreciated?

Hello there the best thing is to use maths genie personally its really good for maths especially for yourself as you want to achieve a grade beyond a grade 7 hope this helps

Ensure you do alot of practice for every single type of question (very important in Mathematics);
I highly recommend this website : https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/gcse/
has plenty of questions on Algebra, Number, probability,ratios, geometry, graphs and anything else that's covered in GCSE Mathematics. Plus, its questions are for the Edexcel board, which suits you even better. It also has video solutions too.

You can also try : https://hegartymaths.com/ (Their youtube channel is pretty good.)
Another site is : http://m4ths.com/index.html - this has a specific grade 9 section in there, which should help.

Hope this is fine,
Sul.

Quick Reply

Latest