The Student Room Group

Leaving uni for hairdressing?

I started uni a few months ago doing Criminology and Sociology and in all honesty I find it really boring and not challenging. What’s more is the fact that the more I get into it the more I’m kind of like, do I really want a job that is anything to do with this? I am naturally a very energetic, upbeat, chatty and confident girl and I just don’t think the type of jobs this degree would get me would really suit me.

I’ve always loved the thought of hairdressing / being a hairstylist, I am interested in the business side of that and it allows me to be creative. It’s also a trade and I could do freelance work. People kind of look at me with sheer terror though when I mention leaving a degree to do hair. I think a lot of people stigmatise it as a ditzy job to do? Or so I get the impression. It’s something I’ve always been interested in but I’ve always sort of felt like I should be using my brain to its full capacity or something, but after failing everything at school & having to work through three years worth of college courses before going to uni, I’m just not really motivated or into it. It really really bores me, which is awful to say - but it does.

I’ve recently booked to do a basic cutting / blow dry techniques evening course at a semi local college. I will work my way up and continue to take courses then possibly do freelance work or get a part time job in a salon.

What do you think? If this goes well & to plan should I drop out of uni? I’m not going to make any rash decisions yet but it’s something that I’ve been thinking about so much lately.

Anyone who knows a hairdresser family member or friend, or has been through a similar situation with wanting to change course, let me know what you think! All advise welcome X
Well I don’t think it would be wise to drop out of a degree into a hairdresser job. With being a hairdresser you can only go into that area which if fab because you do want to go in that area, what I would say is why don’t you switch courses to business management. It would teach you all about business and it is creative in a way. I know there are 1 or 2 unis that I saw in the end of course could help you set up your business or whatever you want to do after uni. So take business management while you take the hairdresser course. If the hairdresser doesn’t work out you have a fallback which is business management
Reply 2
Original post by itss_ana15
Well I don’t think it would be wise to drop out of a degree into a hairdresser job. With being a hairdresser you can only go into that area which if fab because you do want to go in that area, what I would say is why don’t you switch courses to business management. It would teach you all about business and it is creative in a way. I know there are 1 or 2 unis that I saw in the end of course could help you set up your business or whatever you want to do after uni. So take business management while you take the hairdresser course. If the hairdresser doesn’t work out you have a fallback which is business management

I just have no interest in uni really. I thought it would be fine but I find it boring and not challenging. I want to be out doing things. And to be honest I don’t blame myself for that, by the time I’m finished uni if I stick it out I will have done seven years if you add in college for 3. I’m interested in the business side of things but I would never ever want to do business at uni. Not only because it wouldn’t really help me do hairdressing but just because I don’t have an interest to study it.

I do actually genuinely enjoy my course that I’m on - not struggling with it what so ever... but it just bores me. I feel like I’m just past it. Hairdressing & styling is a huge business and is also a trade, so if I ever go travelling which is something that I think I would wanna do, I can do that anywhere and earn a bit on the side. I have a few friends who do it and they earn a fortune and absolutely love doing it. It will never stop being a big money business, there will never be a struggle to get a job as you can do freelance, wedding work, all types of things.

My first plan originally was to do some courses for basic skills & remain at uni. But now I feel like surely that will be a waste of money & time if I have no wish to get a job in this field after? I want a fun job where I’m fairly active and can speak to people and make people happy and feel good. My degree isn’t really going to get me there, even though I do like doing the things I do on the course.
Reply 3
Original post by ebjxx
I started uni a few months ago doing Criminology and Sociology and in all honesty I find it really boring and not challenging. What’s more is the fact that the more I get into it the more I’m kind of like, do I really want a job that is anything to do with this? I am naturally a very energetic, upbeat, chatty and confident girl and I just don’t think the type of jobs this degree would get me would really suit me.

I’ve always loved the thought of hairdressing / being a hairstylist, I am interested in the business side of that and it allows me to be creative. It’s also a trade and I could do freelance work. People kind of look at me with sheer terror though when I mention leaving a degree to do hair. I think a lot of people stigmatise it as a ditzy job to do? Or so I get the impression. It’s something I’ve always been interested in but I’ve always sort of felt like I should be using my brain to its full capacity or something, but after failing everything at school & having to work through three years worth of college courses before going to uni, I’m just not really motivated or into it. It really really bores me, which is awful to say - but it does.

I’ve recently booked to do a basic cutting / blow dry techniques evening course at a semi local college. I will work my way up and continue to take courses then possibly do freelance work or get a part time job in a salon.

What do you think? If this goes well & to plan should I drop out of uni? I’m not going to make any rash decisions yet but it’s something that I’ve been thinking about so much lately.

Anyone who knows a hairdresser family member or friend, or has been through a similar situation with wanting to change course, let me know what you think! All advise welcome X

Have you tired working part time at a hairdressers as a trainee first? It might be better to "trial run" the career before you give up uni for it ..?
Reply 4
Go for it! People are snobby about not having a degree but what’s more important is that you do something you enjoy. University is always there to go back to if you change your mind. I say take the risk and do something you are interested in and enjoy, don’t let other people’s opinions knock you down.
You will find many people that tell you not to do It, I remember when I was in college doing business, ICT and psychology I was flying through the work and finding it super easy and boring. Only 3 months into it I dropped out after deciding I wanted to do an apprenticeship in software development. You can imagine the looks on my parents face when I told them I'm dropping out of college. I knew what was right for me and that in time they would realise it too.

A few months later I got a year long apprenticeship at a large banking software company and my parents were extremely happy at hearing this. I've recently completed my apprenticeship and was given a permanent contract earning a very fair amount, above the national living wage at the age of 17 so not bad at all. And to think if I had not taken the risk and if I had listened to my parents at the time, I'd be sitting in exams right now stressing about my life...
Reply 6
Original post by jasonlu
Have you tired working part time at a hairdressers as a trainee first? It might be better to "trial run" the career before you give up uni for it ..?

As stated above I wouldn’t be giving up uni in any sense until I had tried it out. I’ve booked to do a course in a few months for some basic skills! X
Reply 7
Original post by cat_mac
Go for it! People are snobby about not having a degree but what’s more important is that you do something you enjoy. University is always there to go back to if you change your mind. I say take the risk and do something you are interested in and enjoy, don’t let other people’s opinions knock you down.

Thanks so much. Your reply made me feel much better. I think no matter what you want to leave uni for people look down their nose at you. I just don’t think it is really the place for me! I don’t struggle with it academically but it bores me and I’m not motivated with it because of that. I want to be able to be creative and help people and chat with them and make them feel good. My degree isn’t going to land me with a job where I can to that as most avenues are in police, etc. Again, thanks so much for your reply!
Original post by ebjxx
As stated above I wouldn’t be giving up uni in any sense until I had tried it out. I’ve booked to do a course in a few months for some basic skills! X

There are hairdressing colleges you know.
Reply 9
Original post by Jamal751
You will find many people that tell you not to do It, I remember when I was in college doing business, ICT and psychology I was flying through the work and finding it super easy and boring. Only 3 months into it I dropped out after deciding I wanted to do an apprenticeship in software development. You can imagine the looks on my parents face when I told them I'm dropping out of college. I knew what was right for me and that in time they would realise it too.

A few months later I got a year long apprenticeship at a large banking software company and my parents were extremely happy at hearing this. I've recently completed my apprenticeship and was given a permanent contract earning a very fair amount, above the national living wage at the age of 17 so not bad at all. And to think if I had not taken the risk and if I had listened to my parents at the time, I'd be sitting in exams right now stressing about my life...

Congratulations! That’s so fab I’m happy for you. It’s so horrible that people aren’t supportive or willing to encourage you, I can’t imagine ever shooting someone down if they told me they weren’t enjoying something and wanted to do something else. Personally I actually think you’ve made a fab choice, I do genuinely think apprenticeships are the way to go over a degree for the majority of people! Thanks for your reply X
Original post by ebjxx
Congratulations! That’s so fab I’m happy for you. It’s so horrible that people aren’t supportive or willing to encourage you, I can’t imagine ever shooting someone down if they told me they weren’t enjoying something and wanted to do something else. Personally I actually think you’ve made a fab choice, I do genuinely think apprenticeships are the way to go over a degree for the majority of people! Thanks for your reply X

Thank You :smile:

I hope you find your path through life and reach happiness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending