The Student Room Group

Using cgp for gcse 9-1??

Just wanted to know, is everything from the science spec included in the CGP revision guides?? It would be a waste to use it for revision and then find that not everything was included in it.
Yes, if you get the more expensive student books which are soo good imo the spec is included on every page, direct from the exam board so you are not going over things that are irrelevant.
Yes, but I would recommend the collins ones to you rather than CGP- I find it too "bantsy"? Like I appreciated the jokes when I was having a look through it in year 10 but now I'm in year 11 it's just a bit annoying. The collins' textbooks condense all you need to know without the jokes and it helps you cover the content quicker.

cgp1.jpgtrig.jpg
Original post by lydiarutharnold
Yes, but I would recommend the collins ones to you rather than CGP- I find it too "bantsy"? Like I appreciated the jokes when I was having a look through it in year 10 but now I'm in year 11 it's just a bit annoying. The collins' textbooks condense all you need to know without the jokes and it helps you cover the content quicker.

cgp1.jpgtrig.jpg

As you can see it talks about osmosis, diffusion and active transport in one page as well as telling you about the required practicals whereas the cgp is 3 pages. Your choice but I'd rather use the collins
Well, I use a mixture of things.

For science:

- mygcsescience and their questions
- reading my CGP guide and memorising it
- doing questions in CGP book and then checking answer
- doing question in CGP workbook and then checking answer
- chemsheets/savemyexams (once I buy them)
- past papers from AQA, OCR, Edexcel (all 3)
- specimen papers from all 3 again

I'll do this plan for science. I recommend mixture - not just one source.
Agree with lydiarutharnold - Collins > CGP. Used them for GCSE too, albeit I did my GCSEs in 2014.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Well, I use a mixture of things.

For science:

- mygcsescience and their questions
- reading my CGP guide and memorising it
- doing questions in CGP book and then checking answer
- doing question in CGP workbook and then checking answer
- chemsheets/savemyexams (once I buy them)
- past papers from AQA, OCR, Edexcel (all 3)
- specimen papers from all 3 again

I'll do this plan for science. I recommend mixture - not just one source.

for savemyexams, to access the markscheme, just replace 'qp' in the link of the paper with 'ms' :smile:
Original post by indie.sxnds
for savemyexams, to access the markscheme, just replace 'qp' in the link of the paper with 'ms' :smile:

Just tried it - it doesn't seem to work?
Just tried it - it doesn't seem to work?

https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/1.1-atomic_structure-qp-_gcse-edexcel-chemistry_.pdf make sure you don't include the inverted commas I put, try it with this, it should work:smile:

edit: if it is a past paper, and not a topic one, replace questionpaper with markscheme, it works 100% for edexcel, I haven't tried other exam boards
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lydiarutharnold
As you can see it talks about osmosis, diffusion and active transport in one page as well as telling you about the required practicals whereas the cgp is 3 pages. Your choice but I'd rather use the collins

I've heard the Collins books are great, but I think they only do AQA Science, does anyone know if they also do Edexcel?
https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/1.1-atomic_structure-qp-_gcse-edexcel-chemistry_.pdf make sure you don't include the inverted commas I put, try it with this, it should work:smile:

edit: if it is a past paper, and not a topic one, replace questionpaper with markscheme, it works 100% for edexcel, I haven't tried other exam boards

Ah, it doesn't work for OCR but thanks anyways - will use the Edexcel ones! :smile:
Ah, it doesn't work for OCR but thanks anyways - will use the Edexcel ones! :smile:

Sorry! I hope the edexcel ones do help though :smile:
Sorry! I hope the edexcel ones do help though :smile:

They will - gonna do as much practice as possible. Once again, thanks!
I've heard the Collins books are great, but I think they only do AQA Science, does anyone know if they also do Edexcel?

Damn - I recommended Collins because back when I did it they had an Edexcel endorsed book. Of course the syllabus has changed completely now. I haven't checked if the old A*-G book would still have any relevant content/crossing but I highly doubt it.

Definitely the official Pearson books I would say then, remember using them for Maths and Geography and they were effective for cramming, but whatever you do not CGP.
(edited 6 years ago)

Sadly not

Quick Reply

Latest