The Student Room Group

Student finance

What other financial support can I get as a student if I have been declined for student finance England?
Original post by Sapnogueira
What other financial support can I get as a student if I have been declined for student finance England?

It depends on why you’ve been declined.

Your university is usually the best place to start.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It depends on why you’ve been declined.

Your university is usually the best place to start.

I have declined because I have a degree in economics achieved in Portugal in 2005. It was self funded. Last year I have applied for student finance and I was given student finance and tuition fees as well, but this year I was refused!!! What should I do. I have a low income job which pays for my rent, daughter education and support our lives. What should I do? I need financial support to finish the degree and get a new job. Could someone give me an advice please. Thanks.
I have declined because I have a degree in economics achieved in Portugal in 2005. It was self funded. Last year I have applied for student finance and I was given student finance and tuition fees as well, but this year I was refused!!! What should I do. I have a low income job which pays for my rent, daughter education and support our lives. What should I do? I need financial support to finish the degree and get a new job. Could someone give me an advice please. Thanks.

Hi Sapnogueira,

Student Finance England will not fund a second degree if you already hold an equivalent level qualification unless it is classed as an exception course, for example nursing or teacher training.

Students are eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses

This means that students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the following.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

Biological Sciences (C)

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)

Physical Sciences (F)

Mathematical Sciences (G)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed. To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G). The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses

Alternatively you may wish to study a Masters course for which you could apply for a Postgraduate Loan.

If you want to continue on the same second degree then I advise that you should speak to the university for advice.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the extra help. I’m clarified. However, is there any other type of financial Studend support that I could apply to help me with the costs and continue the studies. Many thanks, Sérgio.
Thank you so much for the extra help. I’m clarified. However, is there any other type of financial Studend support that I could apply to help me with the costs and continue the studies. Many thanks, Sérgio.

Hi Sapnogueira,

Unfotunately if you already hold an equivalent qualification to the one you are currently undertaking then you are not eligible for any support through Student Finance England.

We will not fund a second degree unless it was one of the exception courses.

There would be no addtional help through Student Finance England.

Regards Rona

I would speak to your university - they may be aware of scholarships, bursaries or charitable grants that you would be eligible for.
Reply 7
However, I want to become a social worker which is in between the exclusive courses that they specified. So, I should still receive the financial support. Best regards. Sérgio
However, I want to become a social worker which is in between the exclusive courses that they specified. So, I should still receive the financial support. Best regards. Sérgio

Hi Sapnogueira

New full-time students (this does not apply to part-time students) who already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification will be eligible for Maintenance Loan support (as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA support if applicable) if their new course leads to a qualification as a Social Worker.

You may also be entitled to a Non Means Tested Bursary paid through General Social Care Council.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest