The Student Room Group

Basic Questions

Okay these are probably really stupid questions. I've done all my uni application without any guidance and so far i've managed fine. But now i'm looking at finance and I'm feeling a bit lost and anxious, because I'm doing money related things.

These questions have probably been asked before but I can't seem to find anything from searching so i'll just ask!

1. Do I need a student bank account? What do you use a student bank account for and is it different from a current account?

2. Do you get both the tuition and maintenance loan from student finance? or is the maintenance loan separate?

3. How will receiving benefits effect things? Is it likely to be a problem for me? (I don't know why it would be but like I said i'm freaking out)
Original post by cat_mac

1. Do I need a student bank account? What do you use a student bank account for and is it different from a current account?

With a student account, you tend to get an interest free overdraft and freebies like a railcard. You don't tend to get things like that with a current account. You just need a bank account which accepts BACS payments.

2. Do you get both the tuition and maintenance loan from student finance? or is the maintenance loan separate?

Your tuition fee loan goes straight to the uni. Your maintenance loan is paid to you.

3. How will receiving benefits effect things? Is it likely to be a problem for me? (I don't know why it would be but like I said i'm freaking out)

Your maintenance loan (not special support loan or tuition fee loan) will count as income for benefits.
Original post by cat_mac
Okay these are probably really stupid questions. I've done all my uni application without any guidance and so far i've managed fine. But now i'm looking at finance and I'm feeling a bit lost and anxious, because I'm doing money related things.

These questions have probably been asked before but I can't seem to find anything from searching so i'll just ask!

Hi cat_mac,

You do not need a bank account to make your application for student support we will still process applications without bank details. You can apply now and update the bank details online once you have one.

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits.

The only grant that students are obliged to provide details of is Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG), as it is considered a declarable income for the purposes of Income-Related Benefits and Tax Credits. Certain types of benefits may be affected by an applicant being entitled to ADG.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from,https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculatorsThanks Rona
Reply 3
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi cat_mac,

You do not need a bank account to make your application for student support we will still process applications without bank details. You can apply now and update the bank details online once you have one.

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits.

The only grant that students are obliged to provide details of is Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG), as it is considered a declarable income for the purposes of Income-Related Benefits and Tax Credits. Certain types of benefits may be affected by an applicant being entitled to ADG.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from,https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculatorsThanks Rona

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
Your maintenance loan (not special support loan or tuition fee loan) will count as income for benefits.

Thanks, this was really helpful :yep:
Original post by cat_mac
Thanks, this was really helpful :yep:

There are disregards for things like books and travel. I can't remember the amounts of the top of my head. But there are a lot of threads on the subject of benefits and student loans recently. Both in the student finance forums and money and finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending