The Student Room Group

Physics at St Andrews v Physics and Maths at Durham.

Hi all, I am having a really hard time choosing between Physics at St Andrews and Physics and Maths/NatSci at Durham.

It seems that St Andrews has a slightly better Phyics department and students seem to have a better time there (that's not to say that students don't have a good time when they go to Durham), but Durham has more flexibilty in NatSci and is not quite as out the way as St Andrews. Obviously I could be wrong about a few of these things.

I would also like to know the general consesus on whether a Physics Degree is a better choice or a Physics and Maths Degree.

So, which course would you pick and why?

Thank you.
I'd go for Physics, its pointless doing Maths as well as it's fundamentally Maths! If you have a good grade for A-Level Maths you'll do just fine.

I'd do Physics because there is no need for the extra subject as it is extra stress and most employee's within Physics are fine with an A-Level for Mathematics.

Attend an open day at both University's and ask students what they think!
St Andrewssss :charm:
Reply 3
Original post by ollie.kirby57
I'd go for Physics, its pointless doing Maths as well as it's fundamentally Maths! If you have a good grade for A-Level Maths you'll do just fine.

I'd do Physics because there is no need for the extra subject as it is extra stress and most employee's within Physics are fine with an A-Level for Mathematics.

Attend an open day at both University's and ask students what they think!

I get that doing a Physics degree is essentially just doing maths, however doing a maths degree is literally just doing maths and I don't know if I want to block off that door just yet. Which If I did the NatSci Degree I would have the option to do an Hounours Degree in Maths, however I am aware that I could do the Theoretical Phsics degree at St Andrews which would be heavily Maths - balanced. Also, it's unfortunatly too late for me to visit any more open days to either University :frown:.

Original post by Realitysreflexx
St Andrewssss :charm:

How come?
Original post by olibpool
I get that doing a Physics degree is essentially just doing maths, however doing a maths degree is literally just doing maths and I don't know if I want to block off that door just yet. Which If I did the NatSci Degree I would have the option to do an Hounours Degree in Maths, however I am aware that I could do the Theoretical Phsics degree at St Andrews which would be heavily Maths - balanced. Also, it's unfortunatly too late for me to visit any more open days to either University :frown:.

How come?

Simply because St. Andrews is an ancient and super selective university, i believe in going to the highest ranked and most respected offer you get!
Reply 5
Hi all, I am having a really hard time choosing between Physics at St Andrews and Physics and Maths/NatSci at Durham.

It seems that St Andrews has a slightly better Phyics department and students seem to have a better time there (that's not to say that students don't have a good time when they go to Durham), but Durham has more flexibilty in NatSci and is not quite as out the way as St Andrews. Obviously I could be wrong about a few of these things.

I would also like to know the general consesus on whether a Physics Degree is a better choice or a Physics and Maths Degree.

So, which course would you pick and why?

Thank you.

I would pick durham; it keeps options opens/lets me do pretty much anything I want if I change my mind. Also I don't think there is a big difference in quality of education. Have a look at KIS course compare thing
Reply 6
Simply because St. Andrews is an ancient and super selective university, i believe in going to the highest ranked and most respected offer you get!

Isn't Durham about as selective as St Andrews though?

Original post by yusyus
I would pick durham; it keeps options opens/lets me do pretty much anything I want if I change my mind. Also I don't think there is a big difference in quality of education. Have a look at KIS course compare thing

Yeah I see where you're coming from, I if end up firiming Durham it will be becuse of this reason.
Isn't Durham about as selective as St Andrews though?

Yeah I see where you're coming from, I if end up firiming Durham it will be becuse of this reason.

St. Andrews is far more selective

offer rate of 50%
Durham is like 70%
Reply 8
St. Andrews is far more selective

offer rate of 50%
Durham is like 70%

Hmm, I do know someone very smart who got accepted into University College at Durham but then rejected from St Andrews.

Also I got an email a few days ago saying I can now apply for accomodation, will I be disadvantaged if I take a while to apply for halls (ie, lower on the preferance list when they decide who goes in which halls?
Hmm, I do know someone very smart who got accepted into University College at Durham but then rejected from St Andrews.

Also I got an email a few days ago saying I can now apply for accomodation, will I be disadvantaged if I take a while to apply for halls (ie, lower on the preferance list when they decide who goes in which halls?

Read closely on the uni website.... look for it, its stated somewhere or email them, i cant possibly answer this accurately tbh with you. It varies from uni to uni.
Reply 10

I wouldn't look too closely at offer rates both unis have different people applying to them and both have different amount of applicants/spaces it doesn't make one uni better than another

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending