The Student Room Group

Please help me.

Hello. I'm 20 years old and i'm from Latvia. I'm planning to move to the england this summer and could you explain me if I can take GCSE exam's next year to get in futher education or something like that. I have primary education because i went to job in early and i had no time to study. I just wanna know if i can take gcse exam's self-study In Latvia there is no such thing as qualifications. There is much different education system than in UK
Original post by Kodejs13
Hello. I'm 20 years old and i'm from Latvia. I'm planning to move to the england this summer and could you explain me if I can take GCSE exam's next year to get in futher education or something like that. I have primary education because i went to job in early and i had no time to study. I just wanna know if i can take gcse exam's self-study In Latvia there is no such thing as qualifications. There is much different education system than in UK

Two sorts of GCSE exams

1. GCSE exams that UK students do. By 5 major exam boards, AQA, OCR. Edexcel, Eduqas, CCEA

2. GCSE exams international students do. IGCSE

You could in theory study study a domestic board and come and take it in the UK. It wont be available outside the UK. Advantage is lots of support materials.

You could study IGCSE and sit in Latvia or UK, but fewer test centres.

Once you have at least Maths and English, then you could do an Access course= 1 year bridging course to get into Uni as opposed to traditional A levels. Accepted at most unis.
http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/FAQs/Pages/Default.aspx?acceptcookies=true

You could then apply to Uni.

It would be unknown whether funding will still be available for university by then as UK will be out by 2020. Unlikely you will be ready by then.
Reply 2
[QUOTE="999tigger;76908996"]Two sorts of GCSE exams

1. GCSE exams that UK students do. By 5 major exam boards, AQA, OCR. Edexcel, Eduqas, CCEA

You could in theory study study a domestic board and come and take it in the UK. It wont be available outside the UK. Advantage is lots of support materials.

Once you have at least Maths and English, then you could do an Access course= 1 year bridging course to get into Uni as opposed to traditional A levels. Accepted at most unis.

It would be unknown whether funding will still be available for university by then as UK will be out by 2020. Unlikely you will be ready by then.[/QUOTE

So can you tell me please how much does uni cost per year? I mean what is the tuition fees?

Okey. What do you can suggest me to do? Should I take adult course or something?

Thanks for replay
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Kodejs13;76925120"]
Original post by 999tigger
Two sorts of GCSE exams

It would be unknown whether funding will still be available for university by then as UK will be out by 2020. Unlikely you will be ready by then.[/QUOTE

So can you tell me please how much does uni cost per year? I mean what is the tuition fees?

Okey. What do you can suggest me to do? Should I take adult course or something?

Thanks for replay

Okey I just found out that I could study at Open University in the future. would it help me to achieve something in my life?
Can you help me please about this option and look at this link below? There is free courses and i think i could pick up one in the future. Thanks again man :smile:
http://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
Moved to the GCSEs forum :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest