The Student Room Group

Is 50 sit-ups and squats a day enough?

Hi will doing 100 squats and 50 sit ups a day help me lose weight?
Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
What is your weight and height?
I wouldn’t do squats everyday and I’d actually recommend buying a cheap step tracker or downloading an app called pacer and aiming for a minimum of 5000 steps a day.:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by OrlaMayxx
I wouldn’t do squats everyday and I’d actually recommend buying a cheap step tracker or downloading an app called pacer and aiming for a minimum of 5000 steps a day.:smile:

Thanks I'm 15 and about 5foot 10inch, and 10 stone so I really need to lose weight
As a person that has lost weight before let me give you some advice. Exercising daily can have many health benefits including loosing weight and staying fit. However, exercise is very dependant on dieting. Even if you workout like a madman everyday if your diet is bad you will see very little if any progress. You really want to focus on having a calorie deficit. That means consuming less that your body requires. As a beginner you don't need to count your calories but you have to try and eat in a way that you are getting less calories that you need. But you also can't go overboard with cutting calories otherwise you could rebound very easily. After all what goes around, comes around. I don't know how much weight you looking to loose but the amount of exercise you suggested is good but you wont see much progress since it all depends what you eating. After starting this exercise routine you might start eating more than you should due to being tired or hungry and that could mean you actually see a negative result. Hope that helps

Squats are actually a very good basic exercise. They workout a range of muscles and the core which are more useful than spending a couple hours walking. Better than walking and squatting is jumping rope. A intense 10 minute jump rope session everyday is very effective in loosing weight and leaning down.
Reply 5
Original post by ItsMeDario
As a person that has lost weight before let me give you some advice. Exercising daily can have many health benefits including loosing weight and staying fit. However, exercise is very dependant on dieting. Even if you workout like a madman everyday if your diet is bad you will see very little if any progress. You really want to focus on having a calorie deficit. That means consuming less that your body requires. As a beginner you don't need to count your calories but you have to try and eat in a way that you are getting less calories that you need. But you also can't go overboard with cutting calories otherwise you could rebound very easily. After all what goes around, comes around. I don't know how much weight you looking to loose but the amount of exercise you suggested is good but you wont see much progress since it all depends what you eating. After starting this exercise routine you might start eating more than you should due to being tired or hungry and that could mean you actually see a negative result. Hope that helps

Thank you so much that's so helpful, I'm trying to eat fruit as a snack rather than biscuits or crisps cuz it's less calories and healthier and also not eating as much fool all together
Original post by Lukem14
Thank you so much that's so helpful, I'm trying to eat fruit as a snack rather than biscuits or crisps cuz it's less calories and healthier and also not eating as much fool all together

That's a good first step. The main thing is consistency when doing either dieting or exercise. Keep it up and I wish you all the best.
Reply 7
Original post by ItsMeDario
That's a good first step. The main thing is consistency when doing either dieting or exercise. Keep it up and I wish you all the best.

Thank you
ive been trying to fix my posture recently and found that with sit ups the hips do most of the work not abs which is messes up my posture at least, so do ab crunches are better as they work abs only
u may also want to consider intermittent fasting and drinking just water
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lukem14
Thank you!

You arent getting the fact that weight loss is a result of calorie deficit i.e eating less than you burn. Eat 500 calories per day less an you will be on traget to lose a theoretical 1lb a week..
Doubt your exercise will burn much more than 100 calories
100 squats, 100 sit ups, 100 push ups and 10km run everyday and you'll be looking like this guy in no time.
For weight loss you want to look at diet and exercise - you won’t get very far with a bad diet. Any exercise is better than none.
It's not going to make a huge difference. Cardio would be better or a combination. Plus changing your diet.
you can loose weight even faster if you did jump roping. plus you can download home workout apps on your phone and then do them they also help
Original post by Lukem14
Thank you!
Original post by Lukem14
Thanks I'm 15 and about 5foot 10inch, and 10 stone so I really need to lose weight

Am I missing something?!
My boyfriend is 16, 5ft 11 and 11 stone he’s muscular but slim.. you sound a very healthy weight to me.
Reply 15
Am I missing something?!
My boyfriend is 16, 5ft 11 and 11 stone he’s muscular but slim.. you sound a very healthy weight to me.

Thank you, everyone says I look slim but I feel fat and just wanna feel better I suppose
Original post by Lukem14
Thank you, everyone says I look slim but I feel fat and just wanna feel better I suppose

You sound slim enough hun, I wouldn’t try to lose any weight. If you want to feel better about your physical appearance though you could try drinking more water, having more fruit etc as snacks and maybe doing a bit more light exercise but I wouldn’t go overboard. X
Reply 17
You sound slim enough hun, I wouldn’t try to lose any weight. If you want to feel better about your physical appearance though you could try drinking more water, having more fruit etc as snacks and maybe doing a bit more light exercise but I wouldn’t go overboard. X

Yeah thank you!
there's loads of different ways to lose fat/gain muscle because EVERYONE is different.

but the universal, common factor is eating less sweating more, regardless of what you eat and how you sweat. What you eat and how you sweat is up to you. That's why the articles, blogs, gyms, routines, styles, recipes, products etc are endless. Cos there's no one way as long as you stop stuffing your face and climb off your arse. You'll see that there's far more average weight people than over weight in the world because of this. It's not hard.

Quick Reply

Latest