The Student Room Group

Constantly dreaming about death

Hello,

I'm an 18 year old female and as the title says, I've been dreaming almost every night about something related to death. it really creeps me out.

The most frequent dream is about a rotting corpse. It's not always the same scenario, but a corpse somehow always makes its way into my dream. And last night, I had a dream about a family member being murdered (this family member does not exist, it was just an imaginary family member that I thought I had during my dream) and worst of all, he was murdered by me.

I don't have any of these dark thoughts in my waking life, but they just appear in my dream. Please don't say I watch too much zombie movies or stuff like that, because I don't. I'm only a few months away from exams.

This has been happening for almost a year and I want to somehow be able to prevent these kinds of dreams. I find them really disturbing and I sometimes dread going to sleep because of this. Are there any methods or tricks to stop them???

(Sorry for the long post!!)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I'm an 18 year old female and as the title says, I've been dreaming almost every night about something related to death. it really creeps me out.

The most frequent dream is about a rotting corpse. It's not always the same scenario, but a corpse somehow always makes its way into my dream. And last night, I had a dream about a family member being murdered (this family member does not exist, it was just an imaginary family member that I thought I had during my dream) and worst of all, he was murdered by me.

I don't have any of these dark thoughts in my waking life, but they just appear in my dream. Please don't say I watch too much zombie movies or stuff like that, because I don't. I'm only a few months away from exams.

This has been happening for almost a year and I want to somehow be able to prevent these kinds of dreams. I find them really disturbing and I sometimes dread going to sleep because of this. Are there any methods or tricks to stop them???

You can't really decide what you are going to dream about, but yes, what you do during the time you are awake might influence it. You are probably thinking too much about death and what happens after death or watching too many YouTube videos on it. Just an advice, stop overthinking about death, you are probs alive for another 5-6 decades, so just enjoy your life instead of thinking about what is going to happen after that! Or, maybe, take a day off, relax, visit the beach or somewhere just to refresh your mind. x
Hello,

I used to dream a lot about death like loved ones dying and since I'm a Muslim, I tried to look at a religious explanation of this and I got my answer straight away. It's nothing you're doing wrong and you should never be worried or believe them. I'd say try distract your mind throughout the day.
Reply 3
A lot of dream analysts and spiritual people connect the "death" tarot card and dreams of death - to situations that are about to come to a conclusion/end. Which is a good thing as something new usually starts soon after. However if you get bad dreams or dreams that disturb you and you get the same or similar dream repeatedly then it can be a sign that you are feeling insecure about something.
Reply 4
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
You can't really decide what you are going to dream about, but yes, what you do during the time you are awake might influence it. You are probably thinking too much about death and what happens after death or watching too many YouTube videos on it. Just an advice, stop overthinking about death, you are probs alive for another 5-6 decades, so just enjoy your life instead of thinking about what is going to happen after that! Or, maybe, take a day off, relax, visit the beach or somewhere just to refresh your mind. x

Original post by Mrs.Grey
I used to dream a lot about death like loved ones dying and since I'm a Muslim, I tried to look at a religious explanation of this and I got my answer straight away. It's nothing you're doing wrong and you should never be worried or believe them. I'd say try distract your mind throughout the day.

Thanks! I'll try to keep my mind away from my dreams

Original post by JaseyB
A lot of dream analysts and spiritual people connect the "death" tarot card and dreams of death - to situations that are about to come to a conclusion/end. Which is a good thing as something new usually starts soon after. However if you get bad dreams or dreams that disturb you and you get the same or similar dream repeatedly then it can be a sign that you are feeling insecure about something.

Yeah I might sound really superstitious but I looked online about that too. I understand that I might be insecure, but I think a few dreams would be enough to get that message across to me? And so I want to at least reduce the frequency of these strange dreams
Reply 5
Hello,

Sounds like you've developed a deep fear of death, which is only expressing itself through your dreams.

In my experience, the best way of getting over this is to read about and immerse yourself in death. Get it out of your system.

Quick Reply

Latest