The Student Room Group

DFID Talent Programme 2018

Scroll to see replies

Ah, cheers.
Reply 61
Unfortunately I didn't get through. Sad face.
How did everyone do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by apricot5
Unfortunately I didn't through. Sad face.
How did everyone do?

Me either, more disappointed that they didn't provide sift feedback more than anything!
Yep me neither
Reply 64
I have got through. Assessment Centre booked at EK on 19th April. It's seriously a rollercoaster of emotions applying for jobs now. It says no prep needed but want to be prepared as I possibly can be. This is my third AC for the public sector. Any tips?
Sorry for those who didn't get through. Never give up on what you really want.
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, what do you think made you stand out? Do you have any particular experience that you think gave you an advantage?
Yeh i would be really interested to know what you think made your application stand out? I always think when doing these compency based applications that just putting my retail experiances and the situations faced in that is not enough
I also passed. I recommend some relevant internships/ experience in development. My leadership experience was delivering workshops on sanitation to women in Pakistan. I am not sure if this made me stand out or not, but they said they only select based on competencies and not on cv.

On another note, they said they will pay transportation to come to the AC. Anyone familiar if they pay flights from New York too? I am a bit concerned about my finances as I am still an intern.
Reply 68
I use experiences from group work at Uni, personal life and work. I have applied for so many public sector positions and am only now perfecting it to show what I did rather than generalising. I do put a lot of time and effort into each application but the careers service at Uni are great in looking over applications/CVs and giving advice too so if you have that option then use it.
Original post by skinni
Me either, more disappointed that they didn't provide sift feedback more than anything!

I didn’t get through either - I was quite disappointed as I’d applied through the Guaranteed Interview Scheme so thought this would boost my chances, but alas it did not! Good luck to all of you going to the AC’s. And I’d also be interested in hearing about what you put on your applications that made you stand out!
I also really wish we got some feedback, as it didn’t seem that clear to me what they were looking for!
Reply 71
Original post by Criscris2017
I also passed. I recommend some relevant internships/ experience in development. My leadership experience was delivering workshops on sanitation to women in Pakistan. I am not sure if this made me stand out or not, but they said they only select based on competencies and not on cv.

On another note, they said they will pay transportation to come to the AC. Anyone familiar if they pay flights from New York too? I am a bit concerned about my finances as I am still an intern.

I haven't any specific development experience but must have hit the competencies from my own experience. Meeting these is all that matters for the sift, with a focus on Leading and Communicating if there were a lot of applications.

Might be worthwhile dropping them an email to check. Have you set your date and time?
(edited 6 years ago)
Im out too. Id really appreciate it if anyone could take the time on feeding back some details on the AC as Ive never been to one. Congratulations to everyone who made it to the next stage & good luck!
I got rejected too :frown: I'm really disappointed because I study International Development and have a few years of relevant experience... I also got high scores on all the tests (75, 98 and 98), really I wish they'd given us feedback to know what it was that they were looking for!
Hey guys, I actually got fairly low scores on the tests like a 58, 57 and 80 but I still got AC. Kinda surprised some of you didn't tbh. Tough luck guys.
Reply 75
Original post by Bellabanana
I got rejected too :frown: I'm really disappointed because I study International Development and have a few years of relevant experience... I also got high scores on all the tests (75, 98 and 98), really I wish they'd given us feedback to know what it was that they were looking for!

I have development experience too albeit with an institution based in the UK and not running projects on the ground.

I had a range of scores from the 60s to the 90s so it is very tough to tell what was wanted! I had higher hopes this time due to the blind style of applications. Oh well!
Original post by apricot5
I have development experience too albeit with an institution based in the UK and not running projects on the ground.

I had a range of scores from the 60s to the 90s so it is very tough to tell what was wanted! I had higher hopes this time due to the blind style of applications. Oh well!

I think that the tests only had to be passed and they judged solely on the 4 competency answeres. I had 94% in situational judgement but only 61% in numerical. From my understanding only if you fail the tests you get rejected instantly and if you pass them it doesn’t matter with what percentage. It’s good to apply again, this is the second time I apply, and first time I failed.
Original post by Criscris2017
I think that the tests only had to be passed and they judged solely on the 4 competency answeres. I had 94% in situational judgement but only 61% in numerical. From my understanding only if you fail the tests you get rejected instantly and if you pass them it doesn’t matter with what percentage. It’s good to apply again, this is the second time I apply, and first time I failed.

What do you think you did differently the second time that got you through to AC? Any advice for those who are considering reapplying? Thanks :smile:
Hiya, I've just seen that I have a place at the AC :smile: I live in London, but am being sent up to Scotland! Does anyone know anything about the structure of the AC? It says that it is 2 1/2 hrs
Reply 79
Original post by legolas97
Hiya, I've just seen that I have a place at the AC :smile: I live in London, but am being sent up to Scotland! Does anyone know anything about the structure of the AC? It says that it is 2 1/2 hrs

Congrats! The info that's been sent with the email says that it's a 5 minute presentation and interview, followed by a written exercise and role play assessing the competencies Leading and Communicating, Delivering at pace, Collaborating and Partnering and Making Effective Decisions.

Maybe all the London dates are full. There was a choice of dates, location and time when I booked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending