The Student Room Group

ID Ban- What do i do?

I use my friends ID to go clubbing as I am under 18.

The other night i was caught pouring myself a drink behind the bar when the staff weren't looking (admittedly I was being a right ****, however, in my defence i was very drunk and dont usually act like that)
Later on in that evening, one of the staff came up to me and took my ID, i just ran out the club because i was scared i was going to get done for using my friends ID, however before this i was told i was banned and he was taking down my details.
The next day, the friend who's ID i used went over to the club, lied and said that the ID had been lost the week before and someone must have found it and used it, but she was told she couldnt speak to the manager and the ban wasn't lifted, and supposedly the ban will also apply to other clubs which scan the ID

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I do?

Scroll to see replies

I've never known any club to 'scan an id' probs talking bs
Original post by Uhoh111

The other night i was caught pouring myself a drink behind the bar when the staff weren't looking (admittedly I was being a right ****, however, in my defence i was very drunk and dont usually act like that)
Later on in that evening, one of the staff came up to me and took my ID, i just ran out the club because i was scared i was going to get done for using my friends ID, however before this i was told i was banned and he was taking down my details.
The next day, the friend who's ID i used went over to the club, lied and said that the ID had been lost the week before and someone must have found it and used it, but she was told she couldnt speak to the manager and the ban wasn't lifted, and supposedly the ban will also apply to other clubs which scan the ID

It sounds like the ban attaches to the id and not the person?

Your friend could try and contact head office
or the information commissioner.
https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/helpline/

She could then write to the club asking for the information they hold and asking them to correct it as being inaccurate.
Original post by samrichardsonn
I've never known any club to 'scan an id' probs talking bs

Plenty of clubs scan ids.
Original post by 999tigger

Scan what exactly? It's not as if there is some big nightclub data base lol
Scan what exactly? It's not as if there is some big nightclub data base lol

Patron scan, idscan, clubscan harvest data. Google them. They are private databases.
Patron scan, idscan, clubscan harvest data. Google them. They are private databases.

I'm pretty certain about 90% of nightclubs don't implement it. Even in the cities I've never came across such a thing
I'm pretty certain about 90% of nightclubs don't implement it. Even in the cities I've never came across such a thing

I beg to differ. All of the clubs I have been to have scanned my ID, and in addition to this some even scan student cards if they offer discounted prices.
Reply 8
It sounds like the ban attaches to the id and not the person?

Your friend could try and contact head office
or the information commissioner.
https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/helpline/

She could then write to the club asking for the information they hold and asking them to correct it as being inaccurate.

Ideally, I'd want them to unban her- do you think this would be possible?
Reply 9

It is very dependent on the clubs and the place. Typically chains tend to scan, however not all do. Its about 50/50 around where i live.
There are reasons they don't allow children into clubs. This is one of them.
Um... don’t go to the club 😑

What the ****; when did this happen?

Not so.
Original post by Uhoh111

Stop being a drunken, thieving idiot. Apologise to your friend (if not already done so - does she know what happened?) and tell her to use a different ID when she goes out. Don't go back to that club for a while.
Original post by Notoriety
What the ****; when did this happen?

I believe its something clubs or certain clubs have started doing and collecting their own databases of dubious legality. Some only go as far as identifying what sort of document it is others have been harvesting the information.. Not my area, but this thread highlights the issue if you are wrongly on such a database then you have a right to appeal and correct it according to the DPA. Also noticed a lot of the private security firms take down details and collect data on shoplifters, they later try and fine/ extort further money from banned people. All seems a bit dodgy. I expect someone has done some research on the legalities already.
I believe its something clubs or certain clubs have started doing and collecting their own databases of dubious legality. Some only go as far as identifying what sort of document it is others have been harvesting the information.. Not my area, but this thread highlights the issue if you are wrongly on such a database then you have a right to appeal and correct it according to the DPA. Also noticed a lot of the private security firms take down details and collect data on shoplifters, they later try and fine/ extort further money from banned people. All seems a bit dodgy. I expect someone has done some research on the legalities already.

Yeah, common for the security to have a "bad lad list" and I guess this is a natural extension. I have never seen it in action mind, and I used to work in clubs. Personally they'd be told to **** off if they requested to make a copy of my ID.
TBH Best to accept you're both banned. Do you not think it'll look a bit funny to them that your friend 'just happened' to come in the very next day after this and ask for their ID back...that they somehow knew was there?. Dunno how the database works, but I think you're cards marked in THAT club anyway, all manner of drunken crap can be forgiven but they remember theives. Management likely won't reply to you. :/
Reply 18
Original post by Uhoh111

What do you do? Simple - don't go to a club when you're underage, and don't steal drinks regardless.
Reply 19
This "ban list" must be working ..because back when these club ID scanners were rare it was common for me to see fights and stuff in clubs and bouncers having to get involved, ...but now it's quite rare

quite a lot of clubs use these ID scanners now, and it only will increase as the years go by

you've really screwed your friend over OP.......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending