The Student Room Group

PGCE eligability after postgraduate loan

Hi all,

I am currently considering undertaking a PGCE course, but am slightly confused at the loan system for my circumstances.
I have both an undergraduate and Masters degree - and took out loans through student finance for both.

Does anyone know if my Masters loan will effect my ability to recieve funding for teacher training? The lines seem very blurred when it comes to this and I have yet to find a straight answer.

I understand that I am unable to require funding for another postgraduate course - but I also understand that PGCE funding comes under a different umbrella when it comes to student finance.

The most information I have found is the following (from the postgraduate loan eligibilty page):

'What if I already hold a non-Masters postgraduate qualification, such as a PGDip, PGCert or PGCE?
The restriction on applying for a loan with existing postgraduate qualifications only applies to full Masters degrees. You should still be able to apply for a loan to study a new Masters if you already hold a postgraduate qualification below Masters level - such as a postgraduate certificate or diploma. **Remember though, you won't be able to receive a loan to study one of these courses.** Note that your course must be a new full Masters. You cannot receive a loan to 'progress' an existing PGCert or PGDip to Masters (see below).'

**Remember though, you won't be able to receive a loan to study one of these courses. Does 'these courses' refer to the PGDip, PGCert & PGCE?

Any info or insight would be really helpful! I appreciate that three student loans is excessive, but I would like to understand all of the options available to me so I can come to a decision.
Original post by jcoolit
Hi all,

I am currently considering undertaking a PGCE course, but am slightly confused at the loan system for my circumstances.
I have both an undergraduate and Masters degree - and took out loans through student finance for both.

Does anyone know if my Masters loan will effect my ability to recieve funding for teacher training? The lines seem very blurred when it comes to this and I have yet to find a straight answer.

I understand that I am unable to require funding for another postgraduate course - but I also understand that PGCE funding comes under a different umbrella when it comes to student finance.

The most information I have found is the following (from the postgraduate loan eligibilty page):

'What if I already hold a non-Masters postgraduate qualification, such as a PGDip, PGCert or PGCE?
The restriction on applying for a loan with existing postgraduate qualifications only applies to full Masters degrees. You should still be able to apply for a loan to study a new Masters if you already hold a postgraduate qualification below Masters level - such as a postgraduate certificate or diploma. **Remember though, you won't be able to receive a loan to study one of these courses.** Note that your course must be a new full Masters. You cannot receive a loan to 'progress' an existing PGCert or PGDip to Masters (see below).'

**Remember though, you won't be able to receive a loan to study one of these courses. Does 'these courses' refer to the PGDip, PGCert & PGCE?

Any info or insight would be really helpful! I appreciate that three student loans is excessive, but I would like to understand all of the options available to me so I can come to a decision.

Hi Jcoolit,

PGCE/ITT course that lead to QTS are completely exempt from the previous study and equal level qualification rules. The only time your previous study would affect you getting finance for this qualification is if you already had QTS.

This means that your undergraduate and your Masters won't impact your entitlement to Student Finance if you study a PGCE/ITT course (as long as you don't already hold QTS).

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Jcoolit,

PGCE/ITT course that lead to QTS are completely exempt from the previous study and equal level qualification rules. The only time your previous study would affect you getting finance for this qualification is if you already had QTS.

This means that your undergraduate and your Masters won't impact your entitlement to Student Finance if you study a PGCE/ITT course (as long as you don't already hold QTS).

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if this info is the same for a PGDE course, which is the Scottish teaching qualification?
Hi,

If by PGDE you mean Professional Graduate Diploma in Education, I can see there is a note on our guidelines regarding this course being eligible for student support as well (as long as it is an ITT course that leads to QTS).

Kind regards,

Shahrzad
Reply 4
Hello , did you ever get to the bottom of this as I’m in the same boat atm and want to apply for my pgce but have already even funded for a masters. Will student finance fund my pgce ?
Original post by Scismab
Hello , did you ever get to the bottom of this as I’m in the same boat atm and want to apply for my pgce but have already even funded for a masters. Will student finance fund my pgce ?

Hi there, if it's your first time achieving Qualified Teacher status, the course is under 2 years long and non salaried then your previous funding doesn't affect your eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending