The Student Room Group

I've been caught for plagiarism badly.

Hey, first post on here so I apologise if it's in the wrong section.

I've been caught plagiarising, and it's very bad. I'm studying an extended course in University, and I messed up big time. I copied another student's work exactly, and they have caught on. The assignment was to design a database, so I thought I could get away with copying since Turnitin could not scan it, but the course leader found out the similarities and I have received a email in which he is disgusted with what's happened.

All of my other work in the university has been good, with amazing marks (80% or higher), but I submitted this plagiarised work purely out of fear, because I had no idea how to do it because it was too technical for me. I sent an email back admitting to the case, stating no excuses, just apologies and a request to meet them in person to discuss the situation.

Am I looking at getting thrown out of university for this? I know at a minimum I'm looking at failing the assignment and possibly being kicked out of that class entirely, but that's in an ideal world; and this isn't one.

I'm genuinely scared. I've got no other avenues to go down if I get thrown out for this. I am still in shock and I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

I'm afraid I don't think anyone on here will be able to help you with this. The process will differ depending on your uni but obviously it's going to be taken seriously. Contact your Student Union ASAP as they should be used to helping with these cases.
Part of me wants to just tell you that's really f*cking stupid and you messed up big time and should expect the worst
You should've known not to do it, and if you were stuck you should've even just asked, in terms of being chucked out, who knows? I've known people to be let of after their essays were found out to be like 60-70% plagiarized so you might be lucky

Idk, I just feel really bad for you tbh, I don't know you or anything but just by reading this you seem like you're legitimitly upset and apologetic
I want to feel mad but I can't, especially because a lot of people do steal work to some extent
Maybe they'll see you just messed up big time and that you genuinely regret your actions - who knows
Wishing u luck
Darn that’s bad. Just see what happens really. Not sure why they would use Turnitin for something it can’t even scan? Not that I’m familiar with it.
Its very unlikely you will be thrown out of university. You openly admit to the mistake and have taken the responsible action, rather than hiding from it. That demonstrates that you have learnt from you’re mistakes and want to rectify the situation.
Out of curiosity, if you couldn’t complete the assignment, why didn’t you ask for help from you’re course leader or from another student. If you had little time, you could of copied it a bit but not exactly, that’s a rookie error my friend. Anyways people get kicked out of uni for verbal or physical abuse not for copying a students work once. Maybe if you did it multiple times you might be. You will most likely just fail the assignment and get a bit of a telling off. Life will move on my friend.
You've done the right thing in admitting this. You'll just have to sweat and see. Frustrating for you that your other good marks will now be suspected. Don't expect leniency.
Original post by isbmnd
Hey, first post on here so I apologise if it's in the wrong section.

I've been caught plagiarising, and it's very bad. I'm studying an extended course in University, and I messed up big time. I copied another student's work exactly, and they have caught on. The assignment was to design a database, so I thought I could get away with copying since Turnitin could not scan it, but the course leader found out the similarities and I have received a email in which he is disgusted with what's happened.

All of my other work in the university has been good, with amazing marks (80% or higher), but I submitted this plagiarised work purely out of fear, because I had no idea how to do it because it was too technical for me. I sent an email back admitting to the case, stating no excuses, just apologies and a request to meet them in person to discuss the situation.

Am I looking at getting thrown out of university for this? I know at a minimum I'm looking at failing the assignment and possibly being kicked out of that class entirely, but that's in an ideal world; and this isn't one.

I'm genuinely scared. I've got no other avenues to go down if I get thrown out for this. I am still in shock and I don't know what to do.

What do you mean by an extended course? With foundation year? Is this the first/ foundation year?

1. You are likely to have gotten the person whose work you stole into trouble.

2. Not finding your reason for plagiarising convincing. Why wouldnt you seek help?

3. You are looking at a lot more than failing the assignment. the least you will get is a warning and the worst they could throw you out.

What makes it worse?

You took someone elses work.
You copied it 100%
You have a poor excuse.
You attempted to evade turnitin and though it wouldnt be discovered.

Go and see the student adviser at the su. Any defence is extremely limited now as you have already blurted, but tbh a 100% plagiarisation is difficult to justify. Other people get caught for just a small %.
Personally I would have blagged in this situation, if I thought I might get away with it. "I thought it would be OK because ..."

Oh well, the die is cast.
Reply 8
You’ll fail the module, doubtful you’ll get thrown out. They won’t let you resubmit so you’ll either have to retake the year (if possible) or retake that entire module and get capped at 40% (likely).
At most you’ll receive a third but it’ll bring down your other grades by a hell of a lot, plus they’ll be deeply scrutinised now too.
Admitting it was the best thing at least so you’ve shown honesty but the university may at most suspend your time on the course to then have you come back and resume your education there if they are feeling particularly harsh.
Expect a lot of emails, phone calls and meetings (as well as letting your parents know) because this will come out in your end of year transcript and employers will see that you’ve done this - best thing is to be honest and hold you hands up to this big mistake because they’ll appreciate your honesty at least, though your employment may be on the line.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
Personally I would have blagged in this situation, if I thought I might get away with it. "I thought it would be OK because ..."

I'd have been thinking like mad, but tbh I wouldnt have done anything so stupid. A direct copy is 100% dumb. In a way that could be the start of a defence.

hola
Original post by 999tigger
I'd have been thinking like mad, but tbh I wouldnt have done anything so stupid. A direct copy is 100% dumb. In a way that could be the start of a defence.

Yeah, that's a good point. The idiocy of the act provides an in-built defence.

I think my response to this situation would be get to the GP ASAP, tell them you cry yourself to sleep, and get a doc's note saying you're depressed and anxious. Give that to your tutor, saying you were filled with anxiety because you couldn't complete the assignment and didn't know what to do. Done, collect 95% on the way out.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
hola

yo mamacita
Most likely you will have to resubmit your work and it will be capped at 40% if this is your first offence. I knew someone who got thrown out because they were caught a second time.
Yeah, that's a good point. The idiocy of the act provides an in-built defence.

I think my response to this situation would be get to the GP ASAP, tell them you cry yourself to sleep, and get a doc's note saying you're depressed and anxious. Give that to your tutor, saying you were filled with anxiety because you couldn't complete the assignment and didn't know what to do. Done, collect 95% on the way out.

Nope that wouldnt work. Also post event medical evidence is a lot less convincing.
You woudnt be collecting 95% for work that youve admitted was someone elses. I'd be thinking it will be a warning and any other infringement then they are out.
yo mamacita

te me gusta papi grande :perv:
There was a thread on here where this girl called Chloe Arnson :rofl: she said she plagiarised twice. And I'll tell you what I told her: no one can help you now.
Original post by 999tigger
Nope that wouldnt work. Also post event medical evidence is a lot less convincing.
You woudnt be collecting 95% for work that youve admitted was someone elses. I'd be thinking it will be a warning and any other infringement then they are out.

I was being serious about that and it getting you 95%, ya know xD I would pursue it, in the hope of mitigating the penalty. Final warning and capped resubmission being the best you could hope for, I feel.

The real answer to OP's question is it depends on the attitude of the lecturer and the university. I had mates at Northumbria get away with a lot worse than this, were told to resubmit and their work wasn't even capped. The lecturer simply did not care, and on occasion completed their work for them if it was in late or they couldn't complete it.
I was being serious about that and it getting you 95%, ya know xD I would pursue it, in the hope of mitigating the penalty. Final warning and capped resubmission being the best you could hope for, I feel.

The real answer to OP's question is it depends on the attitude of the lecturer and the university. I had mates at Northumbria get away with a lot worse than this, were told to resubmit and their work wasn't even capped. The lecturer simply did not care, and on occasion completed their work for them if it was in late or they couldn't complete it.

How would the OP get 95% for something that they both acknowledge was not their work?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
There was a thread on here where this girl called Chloe Arnson :rofl: she said she plagiarised twice. And I'll tell you what I told her: no one can help you now.

Once is bad but to do it twice well may as well pack your bags

Latest