The Student Room Group

The Last-Minute Scramble to Secure the Grade [GYG]

I feel like #2018GCSEVictim here
So it's 03/04/2018, 11:31pm and I'm in deep thought.
Everyone around me is working hard. Maths, Chemistry, History, Spanish, P.E, whatever subject, you name it, all my friends are talking about it. That one phrase, containing that one word that trickles down my spine like ice.
"Revision"

So, like any other procrastinating teen out there, I have decided to make
a GYG blog!

Without wasting anymore time (because trust me, I have wasted a lot) Lets get straight into it!
My Predicted Grades

Spoiler

What I'm working at now (Mocks)

Spoiler

So uh...yeah...
As of 03/04/2018, I have 29 Days 'till my Spanish Speaking Exam 32 Days 'till my coursework due, 41 Days 'till my first exams and oh boy am I stressed
Have I done ANY revision? Actually, yes I have...RS...Christianity -_-
Well, I can't really be bothered writing anymore for an introduction because it's actually quite hard to write

Here some irrelevant information about me:

Spoiler

This is my first time starting a blog so let's see where this goes!

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mc_miah

Everyone around me is working hard. Maths, Chemistry, History, Spanish, P.E, whatever subject, you name it, all my friends are talking about it. That one phrase, containing that one word that trickles down my spine like ice.
"Revision"

a GYG blog!

Without wasting anymore time (because trust me, I have wasted a lot) Lets get straight into it!
My Predicted Grades

Spoiler

Spoiler

So uh...yeah...
As of 03/04/2018, I have 29 Days 'till my Spanish Speaking Exam 32 Days 'till my coursework due, 41 Days 'till my first exams and oh boy am I stressed
Well, I can't really be bothered writing anymore for an introduction because it's actually quite hard to write

Spoiler

All the best! You have time so make the most of it :biggrin:
Right so I guess the graft begins today!
I feel like this blog thing is just going to distract me more; I have already been surfing through TSR and hopping on random threads O_o
But here goes nothing!

COURSEWORK. PRODUCT DESIGN

Yikes those three words send shivers down my spine :ahhhhh:. I'm going to try to complete a large amount of my coursework (at least i'll tell myself this). It actually quite time-consuming, but with so little time left, it's essential that I go through with it! :afraid:
Original post by UWS
All the best! You have time so make the most of it :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: I will; I can't waste any time right now...it's scary how it's so close to exam season :shock::eek4: ARGHH 41 DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST EXAM! I haven't even made a timetable yet, hopefully TSR's timetable-making thing will do the job for me.

I just want to get the coursework out the way so the only priorities are exams

Umm......I haven't really thought this through have I? :confused:
Ahaha, I just realised my Spanish Speaking is in what, 28 days?

Well, here's the dilemma:

My mocks say I got a 6 in Spanish :ashamed2: but that was compared to the averages of my Year...

...In Year 10 the average grade in my year, and note I go to a grammar school, was 4 for Spanish. We must note that this was compared to other schools in my area :dots:

This means that probably, if my grades compared to other schools, I did much worse. Heck, I know I did much worse! :emo:

I feel like they didn't average it up though just to consolidate the pupils...multiple students have been moving to foundation, which is unheard. This year, there has been more students that has dropped or moved to foundation for languages, more than any other year according to my teacher. I feel like she has just given up on us.:bawling:

I was talking to this with my family, about intentionally failing Spanish because teachers won't let me drop it (as I apparently did well). This is why i'm not sure whether to actually practice for my Spanish Speaking which I got a mere 5 in

Any thoughts?
Original post by mc_miah

Umm......I haven't really thought this through have I? :confused:
Ahaha, I just realised my Spanish Speaking is in what, 28 days?

Well, here's the dilemma:

My mocks say I got a 6 in Spanish :ashamed2: but that was compared to the averages of my Year...

...In Year 10 the average grade in my year, and note I go to a grammar school, was 4 for Spanish. We must note that this was compared to other schools in my area :dots:

This means that probably, if my grades compared to other schools, I did much worse. Heck, I know I did much worse! :emo:

I feel like they didn't average it up though just to consolidate the pupils...multiple students have been moving to foundation, which is unheard. This year, there has been more students that has dropped or moved to foundation for languages, more than any other year according to my teacher. I feel like she has just given up on us.:bawling:

I was talking to this with my family, about intentionally failing Spanish because teachers won't let me drop it (as I apparently did well). This is why i'm not sure whether to actually practice for my Spanish Speaking which I got a mere 5 in

Any thoughts?

No.
Personally I wouldn’t fail it, however if you think it will affect your other grades then go ahead. But a fail will stick out like a sore thumb next to (potential) 8’s and 9’s
Original post by Hiraeth.
No.
Personally I wouldn’t fail it, however if you think it will affect your other grades then go ahead. But a fail will stick out like a sore thumb next to (potential) 8’s and 9’s

Oof that's sooo true.
The thing is, will employers even care about a language? I'm thinking of going into medicine (well not really; i'd rather be an entrepreneur :u:) but I doubt a language will be needed at all. I feel as if they're just not important whatsoever. At least that's what my family has told me anyways
Original post by mc_miah
Oof that's sooo true.
The thing is, will employers even care about a language? I'm thinking of going into medicine (well not really; i'd rather be an entrepreneur :u:) but I doubt a language will be needed at all. I feel as if they're just not important whatsoever. At least that's what my family has told me anyways

Well it depends what job you are seeking; and medicine? Oh boy will that fail set you back!!!

Medicine is highly competitive and I suggest getting the best grades you can achieve in each subject
My solution is revise for it, but if it will affect your others subjects don’t prioritise it
Well it depends what job you are seeking; and medicine? Oh boy will that fail set you back!!!

Medicine is highly competitive and I suggest getting the best grades you can achieve in each subject
My solution is revise for it, but if it will affect your others subjects don’t prioritise it

Thanks, maybe I will try and revise it!
I'm thinking of just learning past, present and future tense basic conjugations, possibly set phrases. But all of that is time consuming and I have sooooo much to get through :eek3:

As you can probably tell, I love complaining about my problems instead of actually fixing them :facepalm:
Original post by mc_miah
Thanks, maybe I will try and revise it!
I'm thinking of just learning past, present and future tense basic conjugations, possibly set phrases. But all of that is time consuming and I have sooooo much to get through :eek3:

As you can probably tell, I love complaining about my problems instead of actually fixing them :facepalm:

Haha better start then :wink:
I too am taking Product Design...
And I FEEL YOUR PAIN! It’s very time-consuming and I have better things to do:/

What exam board are you doing?
Haha better start then :wink:
I too am taking Product Design...
And I FEEL YOUR PAIN! It’s very time-consuming and I have better things to do:/

What exam board are you doing?

ARGHHHH we are #Victimsof2018ProductDesign
(press 'f' to pay respecc)

I'm doing AQA, and I chose the design brief...uh I forgot which number I chose :colondollar: but it involves making a lamp based on a design movement. I am VERY behind though; I have only just done the 8 marker (up to the design specification) and haven't written ANY of the development work :bawling:
Original post by mc_miah

ARGHHHH we are #Victimsof2018ProductDesign
(press 'f' to pay respecc)

I'm doing AQA, and I chose the design brief...uh I forgot which number I chose :colondollar: but it involves making a lamp based on a design movement. I am VERY behind though; I have only just done the 8 marker (up to the design specification) and haven't written ANY of the development work :bawling:

Ahaha #Victimsof2018ProductDesign
Wow you are really far behind. You can do this I believe in you! I’d focus on finishing your coursework all day so you can start subjects earlier.

I chose the one where you have to design a speaker influenced by a design movement. I spent a lot of my own money on that product (£40!) but I think the end result looks awesome

Hey do you have sc by any chance :wink:
Original post by mc_miah

"Revision"

a GYG blog!

My Predicted Grades

Spoiler

Spoiler

So uh...yeah...

Spoiler

Spanish speaking seems so stressful but it only lasts for 12 minutes max. It's the worst part of Spanish. Speaking is just horrible. I sound like I'm having an asthma attack when I speak.
Ahaha #Victimsof2018ProductDesign
Wow you are really far behind. You can do this I believe in you! I’d focus on finishing your coursework all day so you can start subjects earlier.

I chose the one where you have to design a speaker influenced by a design movement. I spent a lot of my own money on that product (£40!) but I think the end result looks awesome

Hey do you have sc by any chance :wink:

UGH SAME I spent £34 on mine, with a budget of £40 also, of my own cash. Asian parents? Because if so, I can relate.

I'm not good with colours. During my ideation page, I did multiple sketches, but they all looked soooo ugly! The design movement I chose was Art Nouveau which was probably the hardest and stupidest choice (is stupidest even a word? :confused: ) design movement ever because it consists of weird organic lines and flowery stuff

I don't mean to upset any people but under pressure because I couldn't choose one my mind process was something like this:

Spoiler

Oh god was I rambling again? WHY AM I LIKE THIS?? Anyways, that's the story of how I screwed myself over...
Yeah I have sc pm if you want :wink:
Original post by Ihatelife2
Spanish speaking seems so stressful but it only lasts for 12 minutes max. It's the worst part of Spanish. Speaking is just horrible. I sound like I'm having an asthma attack when I speak.

^OMG THIS EXACTLY^

The awkward eye contact too and the look of disappointment on my teachers face when I pause for more than half a millisecond just makes me internally scream; I have a meltdown and I just can't do it. Not to mention I don't even know basic Spanish besides what Dora and Diego taught me ...

I feel it's the hardest one because there's no way to 'cheat'; there's no 'easy way' around it, it literally tests on your ability. At least with writing tasks and stuff you can prepare, but for this they just throw you in the deep end, with random flashcards that include a picture of a horse that you may not have prepared for, nor know the vocab for.

(Oh wait, maybe I should update this blog on what i'm doing. That's how you know i'm new to this)
04/04/2018
Do I have a plan? NOPE
Have I set breaks/revision times? HAHA NOPE
Have I prepared for what i'm doing today? NOPPPPPE

Well, it looks like I'm off to a great start! Best thing is I have already used 1h and 20 mins of revision time for this B-TEC BLOG

ARGHHH :angry::angry:. Thing is i'm actually quite enjoying this, but if this carries on as a distraction I may have to stop ;(
Original post by mc_miah

^OMG THIS EXACTLY^

The awkward eye contact too and the look of disappointment on my teachers face when I pause for more than half a millisecond just makes me internally scream; I have a meltdown and I just can't do it. Not to mention I don't even know basic Spanish besides what Dora and Diego taught me ...

I feel it's the hardest one because there's no way to 'cheat'; there's no 'easy way' around it, it literally tests on your ability. At least with writing tasks and stuff you can prepare, but for this they just throw you in the deep end, with random flashcards that include a picture of a horse that you may not have prepared for, nor know the vocab for.

This killed me😂😂😂.
It's so true though. My school legit just sent me a letter about our Spanish speaking exam. It's in 1 month and 3 days. RIP. Should be enough though. Does your school give you a booklet of potential questions to memorise? We have to write out our answers and then memorise those. Helps with Writing as well.

So uh....it's 9:43pm right now and...uh...well just watch this video
[video="youtube;Y-RUq0kzmv0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-RUq0kzmv0[/video]

Yeah it pretty much explains everything that I have done today.
Now don't get me wrong I tried; I did a solid 5 hours of revision I reckon... but by the time 5:00pm came I was procrastinating like hell; I tried to update my blog but instead I just surfed TSR

Maybe this blog thing just isn't meant to be for me :bawling:
Anyways I still did a lot of work; I have almost done my ideation page and will be moving onto the development part of my coursework soon...
Original post by Ihatelife2
This killed me😂😂😂.
It's so true though. My school legit just sent me a letter about our Spanish speaking exam. It's in 1 month and 3 days. RIP. Should be enough though. Does your school give you a booklet of potential questions to memorise? We have to write out our answers and then memorise those. Helps with Writing as well.

Yeah, we got a booklet but I don't really use it. I have sort of given up on Spanish even though I was really excited to learn such a cool language.
Writing is something I need to develop as that's the easiest one out of the four (at least what my teacher said). It's still quite hard to do for me, and I can never really do different types of past tense

I just spam "fui a lay playa..." or "fui____" and pray to God that I get at least one mark.
For future tense I just spam "voy a jugar al futbol" and again, hope for the best

Sadly, I never get more than half marks :frown:

Right I have come to a decision
I spend too much time procrastinating on this site more than anything. And with so little time left it's mentally affecting me; the stress is literally eating me away

I will be logging off TSR at the end of the day till exams are over
:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending