The Student Room Group

Numeracy Skills Test

Hi,

I have my numeracy skills test booked for 05th May, and I'm so worried I won't pass. I did my GCSEs 11 years ago, and so my maths is beyond rusty. I've been revising, but when I come to do the mock tests I remember nothing I've taken in. On my first attempt I scored 7% which is obviously appalling. I am more than competent in day to day life with maths, and know I'll make a great teacher, but I have this horrible, sinking feeling that I won't pass the test.

I'm doing my school experience next week, and I'm going to submit my UCAS application shortly after. Does anyone have any idea how long universities usually give you to complete the skills tests (if that's a condition of your offer)?

Thank you!
Original post by katielouise1991
Hi,

I have my numeracy skills test booked for 05th May, and I'm so worried I won't pass. I did my GCSEs 11 years ago, and so my maths is beyond rusty. I've been revising, but when I come to do the mock tests I remember nothing I've taken in. On my first attempt I scored 7% which is obviously appalling. I am more than competent in day to day life with maths, and know I'll make a great teacher, but I have this horrible, sinking feeling that I won't pass the test.

I'm doing my school experience next week, and I'm going to submit my UCAS application shortly after. Does anyone have any idea how long universities usually give you to complete the skills tests (if that's a condition of your offer)?

Thank you!

It'll depend but usually by results day they will want to know if you can come or not and the skills test will be part of your offer. The only thing to do is keep revising and practising because a lot of it is down to test taking ability and not just knowledge.
Original post by katielouise1991
Hi,

Thank you!

It depends, I was given I think four months from when I received my offer. However, some universities will let you start the course if you have yet to take the skills tests. However, if you don't pass them in the agreed extended time then you will be ask to leave the course. I would suggest using the QTS books available on Amazon, they were a great help to me. Many universities offer QTS courses to give you tips on how to complete the tests, they are usually about £40. You have to pass both skills tests to do any teacher training course so it will always be a condition of an offer.
I passed both of my skills tests today for the first time trying and have discovered that the only way i was able to teach myself this maths was to just practice constantly! I only did practice papers really! Some tips i would give would be to know your times tables really well, understand mean, median, mode and range, and when doing the mental arithmetic, write down the numbers as the lady is reading them. I discovered that if you listen really well the first time, write down all the numbers they give you, and answer the question as the lady is reading it the second time, then you will have the 18 seconds to check you got it right! Obviously some you will struggle on and of course everyone does, but I found that after a week or so of practice, I was able to get most of them right! If you get 2 right out of the mental arithmetic, and get all of the other questions right in the rest of the test, then you will pass! Ive needed maths tuition for the past 8 years so if i can do it, you can too! I hope this helps and really good luck for them, they are quite nerve wracking but once you’re in there, you’re fine!

Quick Reply

Latest