The Student Room Group

Degree/Personal Statement Dilemma

Hi,
I wish to study accounting and finance at degree level. However, I have the ability to go to oxbridge, but they don't offer that course, but Ive heard oxbridge allow you to create another personal statement, which is directed at the course you want to study there. So if I apply for accounting and finance at 4 Universities and direct my actual P.S around accounting and finance, can I still apply for Chemistry at oxbridge and just direct the separate P.S they offer you for chemistry.
Normally the SAQ (the sort of additional personal statement) is used to provide further insight into ones passion for the degree and/or allow the candidate to provide evidence of why Oxbridge may be a better fit for them, for example, applying for Physics elsewhere but using the SAQ to talk about how the broader Natural Sciences course may be better for them. I haven't heard of a candidate applying for so largely differing courses as in my opinion by showing you don't have a complete interest in the course would actually disadvantage you.

What course would you rather do? Are you more interested in Accounting or Chemistry?
What do you mean that you 'have the ability' to go to Oxbridge?
Have you looked into Oxbridge courses which are more closely aligned to Accounting (Economics, Land economy... etc off the top of my head)?
Original post by SorabVij
Hi,
I wish to study accounting and finance at degree level. However, I have the ability to go to oxbridge, but they don't offer that course, but Ive heard oxbridge allow you to create another personal statement, which is directed at the course you want to study there. So if I apply for accounting and finance at 4 Universities and direct my actual P.S around accounting and finance, can I still apply for Chemistry at oxbridge and just direct the separate P.S they offer you for chemistry.

Don’t choose a university for the name but for a course you’re genuinely interested.
You only have the option to write an extra personal statement for Cambridge, not for Oxford.

Cambridge don't offer 'chemistry'; you have to take Natural Sciences instead, which includes chemistry.

Why don't you apply for economics instead though? Surely that's more similar to A and F then chemistry.
Original post by LeapingLucy
You only have the option to write an extra personal statement for Cambridge, not for Oxford.

Cambridge don't offer 'chemistry'; you have to take Natural Sciences instead, which includes chemistry.

Why don't you apply for economics instead though? Surely that's more similar to A and F then chemistry.

Economics at Cambridge is very academic course. Quite different from Accounting.
Also it’s the most competitive course at Cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi,

As mentioned by others you use the SAQ to provide an additional Personal Statement for Cambridge. It's a common thing to do for Cambridge applications.

And, in addition to considering Economics instead of Chemistry, you could also look at the Management Studies Tripos option at Cambridge.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/management-studies

e.g. you could apply to NatSci (there's no Chemistry course at Cambridge) or Economics for Part I and then transfer to Management Studies.

But the main thing to consider is which course do you *actually* want to study. There's no point applying to Cambridge just for the "name", you must *really* want to study a specific course, and then identify the most appropriate university that offers that course.

Also, if you are doing all this with a view to a career in Finance/IB be aware your actual degree subject doesn't really matter. A&F isn't by any means a preferred course for IB.
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
As mentioned by others you use the SAQ to provide an additional Personal Statement for Cambridge. It's a common thing to do for Cambridge applications.

And, in addition to considering Economics instead of Chemistry, you could also look at the Management Studies Tripos option at Cambridge.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/management-studies

e.g. you could apply to NatSci (there's no Chemistry course at Cambridge) or Economics for Part I and then transfer to Management Studies.

But the main thing to consider is which course do you *actually* want to study. There's no point applying to Cambridge just for the "name", you must *really* want to study a specific course, and then identify the most appropriate university that offers that course.

Also, if you are doing all this with a view to a career in Finance/IB be aware your actual degree subject doesn't really matter. A&F isn't by any means a preferred course for IB.

If I applied for natural sciences for part 1 and then transferred to Managent Studies for part 2, what degree would I get?
Reply 7
If I applied for natural sciences for part 1 and then transferred to Managent Studies for part 2, what degree would I get?

Like nearly every Cambridge grad you simply get a BA. Your degree certificate doesn't mention the course/subject at all.

Your transcript will have full details of your modules though.

I think for simplicity though you would say you had a BA (Hons) Management Studies on your CV.

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/undergraduate/faqs/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
Like nearly every Cambridge grad you simply get a BA. Your degree certificate doesn't mention the course/subject at all.

Your transcript will have full details of your modules though.

I think for simplicity though you would say you had a BA (Hons) Management Studies on your CV.

Thank you, I appreciate the help. Just one more quick question. If I did that how long would I be studying at Cambridge for?
Reply 9
Thank you, I appreciate the help. Just one more quick question. If I did that how long would I be studying at Cambridge for?

3 or 4 years. See the FAQ I linked above. There's various routes.

And note the FAQ gives an example of doing both Part I and II of Economics and then doing Part II Management.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vincrows

Also it’s the most competitive course at Cambridge.

No it isnt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending