The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship schemes

Does anybody know any apprenticeship schemes. Prefared to be around the north east, I am about to finish my BTEC level 3 in electrical engineering and I am hoping to get an apprenticeship as I don’t want to go to uni, I think experience and earning money will benfit me more. So if anyone know someone of any places I’d be very grateful
Reply 1
I'm doing an apprenticeship currently, started through a friend of mine. I have done some schemes in the past, one was 'The Princes Trust' and the other was 'LMPQ'. You mentioned your doing electrical engineering so I would suggest looking into LMPQ as they focus on IT (PC Building, coding, etc). I did the course whilst in Birmingham so unsure if it would be near you but I do believe it was in some major cities in the UK.
Just to let you know beforehand (I didn't know till I started) that doesn't offer a pain apprenticeship but helps you find one whilst working on the academic side of things.
If you want any more info I could see if I still have the info sheets when I get home. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Navy_
I'm doing an apprenticeship currently, started through a friend of mine. I have done some schemes in the past, one was 'The Princes Trust' and the other was 'LMPQ'. You mentioned your doing electrical engineering so I would suggest looking into LMPQ as they focus on IT (PC Building, coding, etc). I did the course whilst in Birmingham so unsure if it would be near you but I do believe it was in some major cities in the UK.
Just to let you know beforehand (I didn't know till I started) that doesn't offer a pain apprenticeship but helps you find one whilst working on the academic side of things.
If you want any more info I could see if I still have the info sheets when I get home. Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you for the reply and I will look into what you have mentioned, also message you if I have any questions 👍🏽
Reply 5
Original post by Daveyy
Thanks mate 👍🏽, I’ll look into these companies what do you do and do you have any recommendations?

I also live in Middlesbrough so some compianes may be quiet for away from me
Reply 6
Original post by Daveyy
Thanks mate 👍🏽, I’ll look into these companies what do you do and do you have any recommendations?

Personally, just from the few I selected I think Dyson or Rolls Royce would be the best, especially Dyson looks very interesting. Just make sure you're looking at Higher or Degree level apprenticeships, I know soooo many people who haven't understood the varying levels of apprenticeships and ended up on one which doesn't require Level 3 study (and they all end up getting paid awful and below their level). Look for ones that have good learning opportunities (e.g. a fully funded HNC/D or full Engineering Degree) and with Level 3 you should expect pay between £15-24k.

I also did a BTEC level 3 in 2012-14 (in Computing, not Engineering) and did a Computer Science degree at uni and now studying a Masters as well as working as a Software Engineer. But I considered doing the apprenticeship route so I explored many of the different options.

Do consider going to uni as well though, it can open up many opportunities and is much better than if you ended up on a 'bad' apprenticeship, but a 'good' apprenticeship may give you much better opportunities that doing uni full-time - it's just a case of going for the right ones (usually with a big company and many now will pay to put you through a degree too).

I'm not sure about Middlesborough as I'm not from near there at all, but most big companies do provide some of form assistance and occasionally money to help with re-locating if necessary. And if you're looking at going into a fairly large company then they will most likely have multiple locations all over the country (although not all will give you the choice of base location).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
Personally, just from the few I selected I think Dyson or Rolls Royce would be the best, especially Dyson looks very interesting. Just make sure you're looking at Higher or Degree level apprenticeships, I know soooo many people who haven't understood the varying levels of apprenticeships and ended up on one which doesn't require Level 3 study (and they all end up getting paid awful and below their level). Look for ones that have good learning opportunities (e.g. a fully funded HNC/D or full Engineering Degree) and with Level 3 you should expect pay between £15-24k.

I also did a BTEC level 3 in 2012-14 (in Computing, not Engineering) and did a Computer Science degree at uni and now studying a Masters as well as working as a Software Engineer. But I considered doing the apprenticeship route so I explored many of the different options.

Do consider going to uni as well though, it can open up many opportunities and is much better than if you ended up on a 'bad' apprenticeship, but a 'good' apprenticeship may give you much better opportunities that doing uni full-time - it's just a case of going for the right ones (usually with a big company and many now will pay to put you through a degree too).

I'm not sure about Middlesborough as I'm not from near there at all, but most big companies do provide some of form assistance and occasionally money to help with re-locating if necessary. And if you're looking at going into a fairly large company then they will most likely have multiple locations all over the country (although not all will give you the choice of base location).

Hope this helps :smile:

It does look interesting but it’s like 250+ away from where I live and I dunno if I wanna travel that far, just looking for higher now
Reply 8
Original post by Daveyy
It does look interesting but it’s like 250+ away from where I live and I dunno if I wanna travel that far, just looking for higher now

That's fair enough, keep looking though the right one will come up. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending