The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History? Confused is an understatement

This poll is closed

Anyone else struggling

Yes 86%
No14%
Total votes: 7
Hi
So I do Edexcel GCSE History 9-1 and I'm seriously lost.
I do:
- Medicine through time
- Weimar and Nazi Germany
- American West
- Elizabethan England

Yeah, so basically this GCSE has me very confused. I don't know what the best way of learning all the content. I'm really not the type of guy who writes notes. I just read the info a few times(Once in most cases) and hope that it sticks in my brain. I don't know how to answer the questions most of the time. The questions feel so ambiguous to me. I don't know what they're asking of me. Could someone tell me what things I need to cover in each type of question? I have the CGP guide but I skimmed through it and it looked rather sparse in terms of detail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I can help with Elizabeth if it is 1559-1588 and American West if you want to reply with any questions I’ll do my best
Original post by Ihatelife2
Hi
I do:
- Medicine through time
- American West
- Elizabethan England

Yeah, so basically this GCSE has me very confused. I don't know what the best way of learning all the content. I'm really not the type of guy who writes notes. I just read the info a few times(Once in most cases) and hope that it sticks in my brain. I don't know how to answer the questions most of the time. The questions feel so ambiguous to me. I don't know what they're asking of me. Could someone tell me what things I need to cover in each type of question? I have the CGP guide but I skimmed through it and it looked rather sparse in terms of detail.

whatever Revision u do "DONT READ THE TEXT BOOK" by that I mean don't just read it make notes on it. Did u no u forget 60% of what u read after 2hrs.So you'll forget everything u read the next day if u don't keep going over it. The best way I think to revise History is watch videos online on the topics then make mind maps on them and reread that mindmap at least once a week (preferable twice) I did that and I got 66% In my first mock and 68% in my second mock I am aiming for 70℅ in the real thing. I find history really easy tbf. All you need to do if you want at least 60℅ is to learn all the content and memorise key events, names, dates. Learning the exam technique and structure whilst noing the content will get u at least 75% (I hot 79% on one of the paper which was Elizabethan England and cold war) GOOD LUCK !!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Aynamouss
whatever Revision u do "DONT READ THE TEXT BOOK" by that I mean don't just read it make notes on it. Did u no u forget 60% of what u read after 2hrs.So you'll forget everything u read the next day if u don't keep going over it. The best way I think to revise History is watch videos online on the topics then make mind maps on them and reread that mindmap at least once a week (preferable twice) I did that and I got 66% In my first mock and 68% in my second mock I am aiming for 70℅ in the real thing. I find history really easy tbf. All you need to do if you want at least 60℅ is to learn all the content and memorise key events, names, dates. Learning the exam technique and structure whilst noing the content will get u at least 75% (I hot 79% on one of the paper which was Elizabethan England and cold war) GOOD LUCK !!

Thanks. Good luck to you too. Can you link me the videos that you use?
Reply 4
Original post by Answer this
I can help with Elizabeth if it is 1559-1588 and American West if you want to reply with any questions I’ll do my best

With those 2, do you have any way of nailing the exam question structure? For example the narrative question on American west.
Thanks. Good luck to you too. Can you link me the videos that you use?

Just go on YouTube n type in 'the history teacher' she explains it better than my actual teacher lol. It has not got the whole content so just go on BBC Bitsize to revise the rest (that's what I did)
Just go on YouTube n type in 'the history teacher' she explains it better than my actual teacher lol. It has not got the whole content so just go on BBC Bitsize to revise the rest (that's what I did)

For Nazi Germany type in Matthew langridge. go on his playlist and click on wemiar Nazi Germany.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi
I do:
- Medicine through time
- American West
- Elizabethan England

Have you looked at the Edexcel past papers to see the structure of the questions?
With those 2, do you have any way of nailing the exam question structure? For example the narrative question on American west.

This is quit simple once you know.
This calls for not only your use of your own knowledge but your ability to pinpoint the dates which relate most to the question for example
“Write a narrative account on the destruction of the plains Indians”
Restrictive techniques are very good for answering but early ones will only waste marks because they dont show it the best they could.
I’d suggest doing 1 large paragraph consisting of all the information this way it doesn’t cause you to link to the question.

The most important factors in this question are.
Your own information
The use of this CAUSED, LED TO, RESULTED IN - these connectives gain you marks
1 link at the end which correctly phrases the question “resulting in the extermination of the plains Indian’s way of life
Reply 9

Thanks👍
Reply 10
Edexcel history is the hardest subject im doing. Toooo much content
Reply 11
Original post by Nova20
Have you looked at the Edexcel past papers to see the structure of the questions?

The old spec is in a different style.
The specimen material is just really difficult to understand and idk why but it gives me a headache looking at it.
Reply 12
This is quit simple once you know.
This calls for not only your use of your own knowledge but your ability to pinpoint the dates which relate most to the question for example
“Write a narrative account on the destruction of the plains Indians”
Restrictive techniques are very good for answering but early ones will only waste marks because they dont show it the best they could.
I’d suggest doing 1 large paragraph consisting of all the information this way it doesn’t cause you to link to the question.

The most important factors in this question are.
Your own information
The use of this CAUSED, LED TO, RESULTED IN - these connectives gain you marks
1 link at the end which correctly phrases the question “resulting in the extermination of the plains Indian’s way of life

I really found the 2nd paragraph useful(Especially the bit about tentative language) but I didn't quite understand what you meant in the 1st paragraph.
Reply 13
Original post by adilhm
Edexcel history is the hardest subject im doing. Toooo much content

Fully man. Then there are even more factors such as terrible teaching and the absolute lack of any support. I found the CGP guide to be far too sparse in terms of detail and the revision guides that seem to be good are going to be published at the end of August. I just get so p***** off with this subject. There's just nothing to help the students, let alone the teachers. It makes me feel so depressed and stressed.
I really found the 2nd paragraph useful(Especially the bit about tentative language) but I didn't quite understand what you meant in the 1st paragraph.

I meant quite
I apologise, what I mean is use events that answer the question the best. The events that have the most relevance to the question
“Write a narrative account about the destruction of the Plains Indians way of life”

The plains Indians way of life was destroyed through a series of events implemented by the white settlers. Consisting of the permanent Indian frontier 183? Which set a precedent for the future methods used to restrict their way of life. This led to...
(This is a good opening, it allows you continue on restrictive methods throughout)
This is choosing correct dates. Correct dates just mean you can continue to keep the theme of something going this one is restriction. Leaving this theme will make your writing seem clumsy and uncoordinated.

I really don’t know if this will help. I’ve been focusing on science and not history so my dates would be off and my knowledge is ‘waffley’ (or waffle like)
In terms of 8-mark narrative questions (I don't do American West, I do Cold War instead, but the structure will be exactly the same), our teacher recommends that we lay it out as follows

1st paragraph - Context of question (e.g. an event that caused/led to the main topic in question + a clear link as to why it is relevant). This does not have to be long at all, a few lines at the max, but it might be a nice way to introduce the account and show that you know what you're on about
2nd paragraph - Write about the first bullet point given. What happened regarding it, and a consequence that is clearly linked to the second bullet point
3rd paragraph - Repeat of above, but with the second bullet point instead.
4th paragraph (or added at the end of 3rd, up to you) - Link your 3rd paragraph clearly to a future event. You won't need to talk about this in vast amounts of detail but a brief explanation of what it was/etc. could be useful.

tldr; I think the main focus of this question is constantly linking events to one another. It's all fine and dandy if you know what happened but I feel as though the examiners may be picky and drop marks off people if they aren't clearly linking their points (as, after all, no links will mean that it doesn't really 'flow' as a narrative)

Hope this helps at least a little bit :smile: The topics I'm doing are Crime and Punishment, Elizabethan England, Cold War, and Weimar and Nazi Germany if you ever want to ask about that!
Reply 16
I meant quite
I apologise, what I mean is use events that answer the question the best. The events that have the most relevance to the question
“Write a narrative account about the destruction of the Plains Indians way of life”

The plains Indians way of life was destroyed through a series of events implemented by the white settlers. Consisting of the permanent Indian frontier 183? Which set a precedent for the future methods used to restrict their way of life. This led to...
(This is a good opening, it allows you continue on restrictive methods throughout)
This is choosing correct dates. Correct dates just mean you can continue to keep the theme of something going this one is restriction. Leaving this theme will make your writing seem clumsy and uncoordinated.

I really don’t know if this will help. I’ve been focusing on science and not history so my dates would be off and my knowledge is ‘waffley’ (or waffle like)

Thaaaaaaanks man. This was actually really good. Wish TSR would let me rep you again.
Thaaaaaaanks man. This was actually really good. Wish TSR would let me rep you again.

Thanks aha!
Reply 18
Original post by giothevanna11
In terms of 8-mark narrative questions (I don't do American West, I do Cold War instead, but the structure will be exactly the same), our teacher recommends that we lay it out as follows

1st paragraph - Context of question (e.g. an event that caused/led to the main topic in question + a clear link as to why it is relevant). This does not have to be long at all, a few lines at the max, but it might be a nice way to introduce the account and show that you know what you're on about
2nd paragraph - Write about the first bullet point given. What happened regarding it, and a consequence that is clearly linked to the second bullet point
3rd paragraph - Repeat of above, but with the second bullet point instead.
4th paragraph (or added at the end of 3rd, up to you) - Link your 3rd paragraph clearly to a future event. You won't need to talk about this in vast amounts of detail but a brief explanation of what it was/etc. could be useful.

tldr; I think the main focus of this question is constantly linking events to one another. It's all fine and dandy if you know what happened but I feel as though the examiners may be picky and drop marks off people if they aren't clearly linking their points (as, after all, no links will mean that it doesn't really 'flow' as a narrative)

Hope this helps at least a little bit :smile: The topics I'm doing are Crime and Punishment, Elizabethan England, Cold War, and Weimar and Nazi Germany if you ever want to ask about that!

Thank you too. This was also really useful. Do you have any method of tackling those annoying provenance questions?
Thank you too. This was also really useful. Do you have any method of tackling those annoying provenance questions?

No prob! For those our teacher also gives us a structure, take from it what you will:

First Source:
What the source says + What the source suggests
Why the content of the source is accurate + Why the content of the source is inaccurate - (This is where you have to add in your own knowledge about the topic)
Why the source is reliable + Why the source is unreliable - (This is where the provenance comes in, so anything about who made it/when/why/etc.)
Final concluding sentence about whether the source is useful in answering the Q + why
Second Source - Identical repeat of above
Final paragraph - Small conclusion about, overall, how useful both sources are in helping you answer the question (remember though, must relate to the question exactly and not be too general)

We're told that each little 'subheading' should be no longer than a sentence or two long. Basically, as long as you manage to get in info about the content, accuracy, and reliability of each source + a conclusion to actually answer the question, I can't see anything going too wrong :smile:

Hope that's useful again! My class tends to find this question especially hard and we've spent countless lessons practising it so I hope it'll pay off in the real thing haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending