The Student Room Group

Is this common with depression?

I have experienced what I believe to be depression for at least four years now. I can't see a GP about it at the moment, although I would like to. I've noticed over the last couple of years that my memory and concentration is getting worse. I can't remember events from a couple of days ago, and whenever I try to read I get easily distracted. I've got a place to study at uni later this year, but I don't know if I'll be able to study because my memory and concentration is so bad. Is this part of depression? And can it be cured with antidepressants? Thanks
Yeah that is pretty common with depression and other mental health problems.

If you have trouble studying then getting a note from your doctor would allow you accommodations during your exams to help even the playing field with your problems focusing. I know you said you can't see a doctor atm but does your school have a counselor or nurse or anyone like that?
You should go to the doctors, antidepressants often make symptoms worse for the first couple of weeks and can cause side effects, you may be put on a waiting list for counselling which is dependant on your area on how long that can take or if you can afford it go private and you'll be seen a lot quicker. Antidepressants don't cure you of your depression but it can help your mood and other symptoms you may have. Best of luck
Reply 3
Quite common in people with depression.
It's a common symptom of depression. Anti-depressants may help your situation but they're not a cure on their own.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I have experienced what I believe to be depression for at least four years now. I can't see a GP about it at the moment, although I would like to. I've noticed over the last couple of years that my memory and concentration is getting worse. I can't remember events from a couple of days ago, and whenever I try to read I get easily distracted. I've got a place to study at uni later this year, but I don't know if I'll be able to study because my memory and concentration is so bad. Is this part of depression? And can it be cured with antidepressants? Thanks
Yes, that sounds very much like depression.

ADs aren't to be relied upon. All they do it hold off the symptoms while you deal with the cause, usually through counselling or CBT or some other kind of therapy.

Have there been any events in your past that might have left you traumatized or emotionally injured in any way?
Reply 6
Original post by Sabertooth
Yeah that is pretty common with depression and other mental health problems.

If you have trouble studying then getting a note from your doctor would allow you accommodations during your exams to help even the playing field with your problems focusing. I know you said you can't see a doctor atm but does your school have a counselor or nurse or anyone like that?

Thanks for your help. I'm not at uni just yet, I'll start this September - ish for my first year. I'll see the uni counsellor when I start :smile:

Original post by Tootles
Yes, that sounds very much like depression.

ADs aren't to be relied upon. All they do it hold off the symptoms while you deal with the cause, usually through counselling or CBT or some other kind of therapy.

Have there been any events in your past that might have left you traumatized or emotionally injured in any way?

Thank you, and no I've had a relatively 'normal' life. There's a history of depression in my family though, so that could be the cause
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, and no I've had a relatively 'normal' life. There's a history of depression in my family though, so that could be the cause
Possibly. It doesn't have to have an event at its root; it can just be a neurochemical imbalance. There's a history of depression in my family too, down both sides; I'm a manic depressive. I also have had some very bad things happen in the past, which doesn't help.

Go to a doctor. Be honest, and never feel stupid.
Reply 8
Thanks for the help and comments everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest