The Student Room Group

GCSE 2018 9-1 English Literature predictions

Hi all,
Just wondering, which poems do y'all think the poems from the Power and Conflict cluster will pop up on this years GCSE exam? Which ones will almost 99% not be on there do you think? Just wondering which poems I should maybe focus on less.
Thank you!

Or maybe even what was on the last few exams?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Idk
(edited 6 years ago)
Not my last duchess and not ozymandias
Reply 3
Original post by AngelicFailure
Hi all,
Just wondering, which poems do y'all think the poems from the Power and Conflict cluster will pop up on this years GCSE exam? Which ones will almost 99% not be on there do you think? Just wondering which poems I should maybe focus on less.
Thank you!

I hope it's bayonet charge or charge of the light brigade cuz I'd rape that exam. No homo, The exam doesn't identify as a gender.
Original post by emmapie01
Not my last duchess and not ozymandias

Yeah, those were on the mocks. I find them so easy though, I wish it was them :frown:
Original post by rob15
I hope it's bayonet charge or charge of the light brigade cuz I'd rape that exam. No homo, The exam doesn't identify as a gender.

Lmao :biggrin:
No one can predict, there's only one past paper and the poems from the specimens can come up again theoretically. You have to at least have a basic knowledge of all 1S poems, no other way round it. So it could still be MLD or Ozymandias :smile:
Original post by riannon2001
No one can predict, there's only one past paper and the poems from the specimens can come up again theoretically. You have to at least have a basic knowledge of all 1S poems, no other way round it. So it could still be MLD or Ozymandias :smile:

If you're lazy like me, just memorize 3 really well-analyzed quotes for each poem and you'll probably be fine. Anyway, I don't think the poem would be anything like 'My Last Duchess' or ''Tissue' since those are the hardest to understand.
Original post by rob15

Bayonet Charge was the poem that came up last year so there’s a 99.9% chance it won’t come up again (though of course you can choose to link it to the given poem). Other than that, I have no idea - can’t remember what was in AQA’s specimen papers, but for some reason Ozymandias rings a bell?
Original post by salman.rm
If you're lazy like me, just memorize 3 really well-analyzed quotes for each poem and you'll probably be fine. Anyway, I don't think the poem would be anything like 'My Last Duchess' or ''Tissue' since those are the hardest to understand.

I've learnt six of them really in depth and then just learnt the themes, context and main techniques for the other 9. To be honest there's a 1/15 chance any of them will come up so it could easily be Tissue if AQA want to really test us. But as long as you know the key points and which ones compare well with it, there shouldn't be any reason to worry
Original post by rob15

It won’t be Bayonet Charge because thats the poem they gave them last summer
I’d be extremely happy if we got Storm on the Island
Hi all,
Thank you!

I’m going to wing it learn three poems thoroughly
Remains and which two others ???
Original post by JackI23
I’m going to wing it learn three poems thoroughly
Remains and which two others ???

I’d do Storm on The island for power of nature and maybe Charge of the Light brigade? i have no idea i just learnt a few quotes from them all tbh
It’d probably be the shortest poems right?
Original post by AkshayManjunath
It’d probably be the shortest poems right?

Not necessarily, they gave bayonet charge last summer, I wouldn’t say thats short
Original post by s_anon
Not necessarily, they gave bayonet charge last summer, I wouldn’t say thats short

It is in comparison to charge of the light brigade, checking out me history, kamikaze etc
Original post by AkshayManjunath
It is in comparison to charge of the light brigade, checking out me history, kamikaze etc

i guess so, but i still think i wouldn’t base your revision off of that because they could literally have just picked any poem. Tissue is short but its also extremely difficult to analyse and even say much about it
Hi all,
Thank you!

On the specimen papers the printed poems were Ozymandias and storm on the island. In in the 2017 exam, the printed poem was Bayonet charge. On the resit exam the printed poem was Remains. I don't think these poems will come up in 2018.
Original post by salman.rm

Personally, My Last Duchess is pretty alright to me, Tissue however is just a whole other complexity :frown: Thanks anyway :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending