The Student Room Group

How Did You Get an A/A* in the Sciences?

There is not long until GCSEs and I still cannot get my head around the hard science concepts in the new specification. Has anyone got any tips on how I can revise the sciences effectively? Even if you have done the old specification, I'm sure your tips will be very helpful. (I'm doing the AQA Combined Science: Trilogy just to add some context).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,
the best thing I did to achieve high grades was to watch YouTube videos of people answering the GCSE paper. This was extremely helpful because they would talk through the answer with you and give you a mark scheme answer that you could use. A YouTuber I recommend for this is Science with Hazel.
Practice questions as much as you can. It's the best way to fully understand something because it forces your brain to think things through.
My suggestions are
1. go to the AQA website and download past papers and their mark schemes
2. come up with your own questions and exchange that with questions created by friends
3. use free revision websites like www.senecalearning.com and quizlet
Reply 3
Past Papers (even for the new spec the old spec ones should still be relevant)
A*, A*, A in triple science

One method is to use youtube and various online resources, bangout the A*-G past papers (they're not ideal but it's not a completely alien spec, there will be somethings).

Another method is just to buy the CGP book and absorb.
Triple A* gained using notes from class, revision guides, myGCSEscience (to make my notes) and BBC bite size. At the end, I did every past paper available and made a note of commonly occurring questions. Also memorised mark scheme answers for those commonly occurring questions.

Understandably with the new spec, there is a lack of newer papers for you to use but I had this problem when doing the new A Level sciences. I stuck to my ways though (used all specimens and old spec papers), and got A*s at A Level too. The most important thing for the new specs is to know and understand your content. Combine that with exam practice, you should be fine.
I got 3 A* in triple science (AQA) and it was basically revision guides and past questions for GCSE! The more past papers you do, the more comfortable you get with what they will ask you and what they expect you to know. Use flashcards and mind maps to consolidate knowledge and keep things concise. Make sure your notes are short and concise, having only the important bits which will make it easier to revise!

Good luck 😊
Original post by word13
Hi,
the best thing I did to achieve high grades was to watch YouTube videos of people answering the GCSE paper. This was extremely helpful because they would talk through the answer with you and give you a mark scheme answer that you could use. A YouTuber I recommend for this is Science with Hazel.

Thank you! I'll be sure use this tip right away!
Original post by LarissaAlves
Practice questions as much as you can. It's the best way to fully understand something because it forces your brain to think things through.
My suggestions are
1. go to the AQA website and download past papers and their mark schemes
2. come up with your own questions and exchange that with questions created by friends
3. use free revision websites like www.senecalearning.com and quizlet

Thank you for such clear instructions! I'll be sure to try incorporate these techniques in other subjects as well.
Original post by Cat-ion
Past Papers (even for the new spec the old spec ones should still be relevant)

I'll do my best to do this. Thank you for your advice!
Original post by AryanGh
A*, A*, A in triple science

One method is to use youtube and various online resources, bangout the A*-G past papers (they're not ideal but it's not a completely alien spec, there will be somethings).

Another method is just to buy the CGP book and absorb.

Congrats on such awesome results! I'll try maximise the past papers I'm doing as exam season is very very close! I do have the CGP revision guide but I have neglected it. Thank you for your advice!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Triple A* gained using notes from class, revision guides, myGCSEscience (to make my notes) and BBC bite size. At the end, I did every past paper available and made a note of commonly occurring questions. Also memorised mark scheme answers for those commonly occurring questions.

Understandably with the new spec, there is a lack of newer papers for you to use but I had this problem when doing the new A Level sciences. I stuck to my ways though (used all specimens and old spec papers), and got A*s at A Level too. The most important thing for the new specs is to know and understand your content. Combine that with exam practice, you should be fine.

Well done on getting the triple A*s!!! Thank you for sharing your personal revision tips. I've always tried to boost my science grades and I hope this works.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I got 3 A* in triple science (AQA) and it was basically revision guides and past questions for GCSE! The more past papers you do, the more comfortable you get with what they will ask you and what they expect you to know. Use flashcards and mind maps to consolidate knowledge and keep things concise. Make sure your notes are short and concise, having only the important bits which will make it easier to revise!

Good luck 😊

Well done on getting those A*s!!! The most common answer to this is mainly past papers so I will get to doing those right away! Thank you for suggesting that I keep my notes short also because they are pretty long.
A* A* A*, full UMS in further additional.

All you need to do is make notes from the textbook a couple of times over, make sure you know the majority of content. Do past paper questions, and make sure you make notes of everything you get wrong, then make notes on that. Then continue doing questions.

Then do all of the specimen papers and past papers.
Original post by I'mTryingMyBest
Well done on getting the triple A*s!!! Thank you for sharing your personal revision tips. I've always tried to boost my science grades and I hope this works.

No problem! Just realised you're doing AQA which is what I did too, do you by any chance have the official AQA revision guides? I found them to be really useful and and concise with questions at the end of each chapter - there were a few important things that I learnt just days before the exam because of those questions so I would recommend those guides for sure.
Reply 15
I looked at the specification and made sure I knew every single bullet point on it (which really helped for the harder final exam). This is an underutilised tool, but the fact is that examiners can only ask you questions in the specification, so as long as you know it well, you'll do fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BDunlop
A* A* A*, full UMS in further additional.

All you need to do is make notes from the textbook a couple of times over, make sure you know the majority of content. Do past paper questions, and make sure you make notes of everything you get wrong, then make notes on that. Then continue doing questions.

Then do all of the specimen papers and past papers.

Great job on getting Triple A*s on FURTHER additional science!!! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be making lots of notes (because all of science is hard) and attempt to do as much specimen/practice/past papers as I can. Thanks for your time!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
No problem! Just realised you're doing AQA which is what I did too, do you by any chance have the official AQA revision guides? I found them to be really useful and and concise with questions at the end of each chapter - there were a few important things that I learnt just days before the exam because of those questions so I would recommend those guides for sure.

I've only got the one but it has everything in there and I'll definitely be using it loads more because it gave you those amazing grades.
Original post by MR1999
I looked at the specification and made sure I knew every single bullet point on it (which really helped for the harder final exam). This is an underutilised tool, but the fact is that examiners can only ask you questions in the specification, so as long as you know it well, you'll do fine.

Thank you for suggesting this and I agree with you on that. I will certainly use this tip for other subjects also. My target is to have gone over every bullet point (thoroughly) by May. I hope I can get through all the content!

Quick Reply

Latest