The Student Room Group

A Year 12's Journey to 4 A-Levels (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thewinterstudent
Thank you! French and Art - I had to pick French, but decided to take up art for ~fun~. What a regret...

Thank you! French and Art - I had to pick French, but decided to take up art for ~fun~. What a regret...

Aha, so I’ll have done witchcraze by the time you begin. Depending on the grade I get, I might be of some use to you. ☺️
Guess I'm due for an update!

History:
Monday went well! I think I did pretty well on the 20 mark question we wrote, especially considering I managed to fill three whole pages. I feel sorry for my teacher who has to decode my terrible handwriting, though...
My other teacher has been off for both of our lessons this week, so it's been cover stuff, but that's been alright too.

Physics:
Improving! My friend 'tutored' me today, and it's making a lot of sense, and I think I really am catching up!

Maths:
Kind of good, but not that great, I guess. I did a C1 mock on Monday (the real exam from this year) and it was really hard. I got 43/75, which, I know, really isn't bad! It's a D, though, but 3 marks off a C, which is only about 5 marks from a B and so on. It's just frustrating that I'm always really close to the boundaries. (One guy in my class only dropped a single mark! Damn!) But I'm not too angry, since I did a C1 mock the night before and got 70/75. That was just a hard paper, and especially since I'm only two months in. I'm going to work on it - hard!

In other news, it's my birthday this weekend! I'm celebating by going to watch the new Thor film :smile: A day off, at least!
Saturday update, because I'm taking a small break from revision!

History:
Got back one of the 10 mark essays we did, and I went up from 6/10 to 7/10! Progress - I'm slowly but surely getting there! We're almost finished with the first topic, and my teachers have reiterated that's important to get it together now. One of them told us about students last year getting lots of A*s over different topics, but falling down on one particular paper and losing the A*/A grade. I'm not going to let it happen to me!

Physics:
Going well - if a little boring. Much like GCSE physics with some added difficulty. My friend has me more or less caught up, and we've been going to some booster sessions though they aren't particularly helpful yet. I'm not going to let that deter me - we have a mock exam next Thursday, and I have to do better!

Maths:
Why on earth does the chain rule seem so easy? Am I going mad? But it's going well, so far. Been taking some C2 mocks at home to prepare for the one I have in college on Thursday. I'll cry if I don't get a C on this - I'm more confident than on C1, anyway!
This week hasn't been particularly great, and has me a little down.
Rundown:
History:
We had an interesting debate in lesson on Thursday, and it really pulled me in, and our teacher was really impressed by the level of discussion we had, so that was nice. On the downside, I got 13/20 on my first 20 marker. It's nice that it's more than 10, but really, it's put me in between my 6-7/10 averages, which isn't awful, but I'd hoped I would be better by now. I just can't remember enough detailed evidence to write down during the essays to put me into the higher brackets.

Physics:
It's going okay. My teacher did a fun demonstration on projectile motion. It's not that complicated, but it's time consuming for me to try to apply what I already know to the question, often with a strong risk of me getting it wrong. We have another mock on Thursday, and I have to do better.

Maths:
We took a C2 mock on Thursday, and I got a C. It's better than last time, when I got a D, but I was hoping for a lot better. I've been taking older mocks and getting anywhere from 60-70/75, and going from 70 down to 44 is awful. I don't understand how I can do well in older mocks, but the papers we take in class just aren't so good. The others on my table got a C, with one getting an A, so I'm not far behind the rest of the class, but it just frustrates me because I'm taking the exams in May/June. I don't have time to mess up, not really. I have 5 months to sort myself out, and I really, really need at least an A, but honestly an A*.

On top of all that, I came home from college to find a little puddle of blood in my lizard's cage. He was really, really sick in April, so I've been paicking about nearly losing him again, so not a particularly great week, in all. Fortunately, he is fine, just cut himself on his heat lamp. He should be okay.
On the bright side, I go away for Christmas, so I'll have some time away to both collect myself, and revise in a bit more a calm, chill way. Here's hoping next year brings brighter things.
This week hasn't been particularly great, and has me a little down.
Rundown:
History:
We had an interesting debate in lesson on Thursday, and it really pulled me in, and our teacher was really impressed by the level of discussion we had, so that was nice. On the downside, I got 13/20 on my first 20 marker. It's nice that it's more than 10, but really, it's put me in between my 6-7/10 averages, which isn't awful, but I'd hoped I would be better by now. I just can't remember enough detailed evidence to write down during the essays to put me into the higher brackets.

Physics:
It's going okay. My teacher did a fun demonstration on projectile motion. It's not that complicated, but it's time consuming for me to try to apply what I already know to the question, often with a strong risk of me getting it wrong. We have another mock on Thursday, and I have to do better.

Maths:
We took a C2 mock on Thursday, and I got a C. It's better than last time, when I got a D, but I was hoping for a lot better. I've been taking older mocks and getting anywhere from 60-70/75, and going from 70 down to 44 is awful. I don't understand how I can do well in older mocks, but the papers we take in class just aren't so good. The others on my table got a C, with one getting an A, so I'm not far behind the rest of the class, but it just frustrates me because I'm taking the exams in May/June. I don't have time to mess up, not really. I have 5 months to sort myself out, and I really, really need at least an A, but honestly an A*.

On top of all that, I came home from college to find a little puddle of blood in my lizard's cage. He was really, really sick in April, so I've been paicking about nearly losing him again, so not a particularly great week, in all. Fortunately, he is fine, just cut himself on his heat lamp. He should be okay.
On the bright side, I go away for Christmas, so I'll have some time away to both collect myself, and revise in a bit more a calm, chill way. Here's hoping next year brings brighter things.

Oh dear... I hope you feel better about your grades...
thank god your lizard is fine tho. :smile:
I know I've been absent for a good two months, and now I really won't qualify anymore, but to me it was never about the prize. I should get back to motivating myself, which is what I started this to do. So, for half term, I will be knuckling down!

Maths
Good! We've almost finished Mech 1 and Stats 1, both of which are punishingly simple with a few exceptions. Mechanics, oddly enough, has been helping me with my physics - rather than the other way around! How strange? But On my last test I scored 38/42, a solid A! Mechanics we haven't done a test for yet. We've been set C1 and C2 papers as homework, which I'll print out this week. I found out some of my dad's old maths University books - all of which (Hallelujah!) contain A-LEVEL CONTENT? Who'd've thunk it? It's all going to be of enormous help, especially as it gives me a bit more diversity of what kind of questions I'll be tackling. Papers versus made up questions ALWAYS differ, so I'd like to broaden my perspective!

History
Also good! We've finished Spain and have moved onto Britain (1603-1660) and so far, it's a blast. My teachers are brilliant and they teach it in a humorous way that makes it sooooo easy to remember! We call them 'gossip sessions' when we talk about how terrible Charles I was, or how (possibly) gay James I was! It really is fun!

Physics
Improving, actually! I posted another thing a while ago asking for advice and got some decent help. I took a retest on a bad motion paper, and am scheduled for a retest in Electricity after half term. This half term I'll be working through my lack of enthusiasm for Physics, which I think is actually part of my problem. A pretty big part. But the retest went well, I'll be working through some homework this week to hopefully solidify my understanding, and here's hoping I can work myself up from a D to a B or an A!

In other news, my holiday was PERFECT! A few weeks away was just what I needed. However, we came home and had to move house! Not brilliant. We had to move my lizard (Who is 100% fine! He's just lost a few millimetres off his tail from that accident with the puddle of blood), who does not like to be moved. My snakes were fine, we moved them in pillowcases! My chameleon... we won't talk about the ordeal we had from her...
Mostly just a rundown of my day to keep me motivated. I didn't do a whole lot of revision, mostly just admin stuff; I printed out a C1&2 mock, and printed out the Physics spec so I could colour code what we've done versus what I understand. I'm glad I did that today, as it took a long while. I also started plotting out a timetable for the week, to really give myself some structure, so I'm hoping that works out. I never do well with timetables, but I've got a good feeling about this one.
Another rundown of the day. Not great. I tried to work on some Physics feeling especially motivated, which just meant the fall was even more disheartening when I could barely start some questions. Went into college today to do some work for an EPQ. Going to do it on maths, possibly about whether numbers are real or not. Travel time meant I could only read some of my further-reading books, as opposed to some revision. Not all was lost though. Still have a solid timetable for the rest of the week.
Daily update: Went through a C1 mock and got 54/75. Just a C. However, going through it, I lost 7 (Seven!) marks because I missed or changed signs (+/-). It really makes a difference - I could have had a strong B, almost an A had I been more careful with signs!
History homework is half finished, I just have a timeline to do once I have some A3 paper, and Physics will be started tomorrow. All in all, a good day, aside from slightly lower than expected Maths result.
Back to college week update!
History has been fine, missed a couple lessons as the college is closed due to the weather which isn't a surprise.
Physics - we have a test next week and this weekend I will be revising for it as I think I'm making a breakthrough with understanding a lot of the work.
Maths - alright, we'e almost finished M1, S1, moved onto finishing C3 with integration by parts and volumes of revolution.. Hopefully we will be finished by Easter, leaving plenty of revision.
Tomorrow's snow day I'll devote to 'filing' if you will of all my revision notes. They really need sorting. I might also print out a couple C1 papers, maybe attempt a couple of Step I questions, to see how they go?
I've borrowed some further reading books from the library that have been so interesting - The Man Who Knew Infinity is an enlightening and melancholic read, and I've just started Alex's Adventures in Numberland, which is also interesting and quite an easy read.
I got accepted onto UNIQ for Maths in the Summer! It made me sooo happy. However, I got rejected for the Women In Maths residential at Cambridge. While I am upset, it wasn't as big of a deal to me as UNIQ was, and 1/2 is not bad at all for Oxbridge! I'm looking forward to it so much, and I can't wait!
Update time:

Physics:
We had a test this week, and it went wayyyy better than I expected? Of course, I came out of it and everyone else, it seemed, found it extremely difficult, so I began to panic I'd done a lot of it wrong, but I was confident with most of it, and sharing answers with someone else, we got a lot of the same (and she's top of the class). I looked for a mark scheme, but could only find some, but I did well on that part of the paper, so I can hope it extends to the rest! It would be lovely to do well in Physics...

History:
We wrote and peer marked essays a few days ago. I was so, so confident going in, I'd made my essay plan, I knew all my evidence... I just couldn't time it well. Thirty minutes for four points, an intro, and a conclusion, and twenty five minutes in I had an intro, and three points. I kind of feel like my neighbour marked me lower, though, as I know my evidence was on point, and my explanation detailed. I did, however, continuously forget to add my judgement, which significantly lowered my mark, to what she things is 12/13 out of 20. Not good. I think with practice, I can time it better, write more concisely, and include my judgement! We'll have the actual marks next week. At least these grades aren't counting to predicted grades yet...

Maths:
Not much to speak about, really. Our exams are in two months, and we're working hard, is all.
Physics:
First and foremost, we lost a great physicist this week. Stephen Hawking was and always will be a true inspiration of mine and thousands, if not millions of people all over the world.
With regards to my progress - I got a solid A on my last test! There was no A*, but I really think that had there been, I could have had an A*! I was so, so, so proud of myself I almost cried.

History:
Not brilliant. a 12/20 and a 14/20 - the latter being my best mark to date. It seems like everyone around me is getting 13-16 on both, and I just don't know how to get up there.

Maths:
We've finished Stats, Mechanics, and C3. We're almost done with C4, so... not long now.
Physics:
First and foremost, we lost a great physicist this week. Stephen Hawking was and always will be a true inspiration of mine and thousands, if not millions of people all over the world.
With regards to my progress - I got a solid A on my last test! There was no A*, but I really think that had there been, I could have had an A*! I was so, so, so proud of myself I almost cried.

History:
Not brilliant. a 12/20 and a 14/20 - the latter being my best mark to date. It seems like everyone around me is getting 13-16 on both, and I just don't know how to get up there.

Maths:
We've finished Stats, Mechanics, and C3. We're almost done with C4, so... not long now.

Did you do the Physics Olympiad AS Challenge last week? I’m also in yr 12 with the same subjects except where you do fm I do chem!
Do you have yr 12 mocks coming up?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by koala789
Did you do the Physics Olympiad AS Challenge last week? I’m also in yr 12 with the same subjects except where you do fm I do chem!
Do you have yr 12 mocks coming up?

No, I didn’t, actually! Physics isn’t my favourite subject, but I’m starting to like it more. I don’t really have the level of ability for the Olympiad, anyway.
And I don’t think think I have any mocks until before summer - my college is quite weird like that and I and I think I’d prefer having mor frequent mocks. But what can you do, right?
This week was going just fine until now. My parents got emailed my predicted grades, and while I'd say that my Maths and History targets are pretty fair (A/B borderline and B respectively) my physics teachers have predicted me a D. I'm really, really not happy with this since I got an A on my most recent test - a very high A. I know that they're taking an average over my last few tests which have been C, D, A, but couldn't they have rounded up? Surely it would be fair to at least predict a C since my attitude to learning is 'Good'. I'm probably going to talk to my Physics teacher about it on Monday. I'm planning on applying to some top universities, and if I feel like they're unfairly predicted me a D, I will drop Physics without hesitation, whether or not I think I can get a higher grade. I don't want to be wasting my time, honestly.
So that brings me to:
History
Just fine. Missed a couple lessons this week because of staff being absent. Essays are coming along. Not bad, not good.

Physics
Easy stuff we're learning right now. I think I can do it very well. Apparently teachers disagree.

Maths
I hate statistics. I hate it. I can't do it, I don't care that it's all off of my calculator, it just means I don't understand where any of it is coming from and why. And because it's all coming from the calculator, if you did it wrong, you lose all the marks. It's a joke. I hate it.
Mechanics is fine. C4 is fine.
Fine.

I'm really stressed right now, since I have until about six weeks after Easter until my first exam, and also to prove that I am completely capable of getting much, much higher than a D in Physics. I don't know what more I can do. I'm doing well on tests now, I'm revising hard, working hard in class.
I don't get it.
I don't know if I can do it.
This week was going just fine until now. My parents got emailed my predicted grades, and while I'd say that my Maths and History targets are pretty fair (A/B borderline and B respectively) my physics teachers have predicted me a D. I'm really, really not happy with this since I got an A on my most recent test - a very high A. I know that they're taking an average over my last few tests which have been C, D, A, but couldn't they have rounded up? Surely it would be fair to at least predict a C since my attitude to learning is 'Good'. I'm probably going to talk to my Physics teacher about it on Monday. I'm planning on applying to some top universities, and if I feel like they're unfairly predicted me a D, I will drop Physics without hesitation, whether or not I think I can get a higher grade. I don't want to be wasting my time, honestly.
So that brings me to:
History
Just fine. Missed a couple lessons this week because of staff being absent. Essays are coming along. Not bad, not good.

Physics
Easy stuff we're learning right now. I think I can do it very well. Apparently teachers disagree.

Maths
I hate statistics. I hate it. I can't do it, I don't care that it's all off of my calculator, it just means I don't understand where any of it is coming from and why. And because it's all coming from the calculator, if you did it wrong, you lose all the marks. It's a joke. I hate it.
Mechanics is fine. C4 is fine.
Fine.

I'm really stressed right now, since I have until about six weeks after Easter until my first exam, and also to prove that I am completely capable of getting much, much higher than a D in Physics. I don't know what more I can do. I'm doing well on tests now, I'm revising hard, working hard in class.
I don't get it.
I don't know if I can do it.

Hiya, just discovered your GYG but can relate so much! I really feel you with this whole Maths in one year thing, and urgh Statistics is a pain, but I'm sure you'll get it!!!! I have to glare at my paper for ages until it clicks...and then I lose it five seconds later......
Are you on the new spec or old one?
And good luck for Physics!!!
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Hiya, just discovered your GYG but can relate so much! I really feel you with this whole Maths in one year thing, and urgh Statistics is a pain, but I'm sure you'll get it!!!! I have to glare at my paper for ages until it clicks...and then I lose it five seconds later......
Are you on the new spec or old one?
And good luck for Physics!!!

I'm on the old spec - hence the doing it in one year :smile:. I hate statistics so damned much, I can't wrap my head around it! I got a C in the 2017 Mock I did, which goes to show how little I know it. Mechanics is much easier - I got an A on that mock.
I did speak to my Physics teacher, and they didn' account for my A, as I hadn't yet taken that test when they predicted it to me, so that's kind of fair enough. Hopefully I do well in my next tests!
Good luck in your maths too!
I'm on the old spec - hence the doing it in one year :smile:. I hate statistics so damned much, I can't wrap my head around it! I got a C in the 2017 Mock I did, which goes to show how little I know it. Mechanics is much easier - I got an A on that mock.
I did speak to my Physics teacher, and they didn' account for my A, as I hadn't yet taken that test when they predicted it to me, so that's kind of fair enough. Hopefully I do well in my next tests!
Good luck in your maths too!

Ah ok, that makes sense. In my college, the people doing it in on year are going to do the new spec, so that's what I'm doing unfortunately!!!

Yeah, if they haven't included that test, then it's not really the most fair measure. Try not to worry about it!
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Ah ok, that makes sense. In my college, the people doing it in on year are going to do the new spec, so that's what I'm doing unfortunately!!!

Yeah, if they haven't included that test, then it's not really the most fair measure. Try not to worry about it!

I'm working on it! I've spent about 8 total hours this holiday so far just bringing myself up to scratch with Physics, and I'm not letting anything get in my way!
I'm working on it! I've spent about 8 total hours this holiday so far just bringing myself up to scratch with Physics, and I'm not letting anything get in my way!

Nice! I admire your resillience! Hoping I can do the same :?!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending