The Student Room Group

Can we have a general support thread for OCR A2 Classical Civilisation, please?

Hey

I'm studying OCR Classical Civilisation via distance learning. I'm taking the A2 exams in the summer - Art & Architecture and Virgil and the World of the Hero.

Distance learning is a bit lonely at the moment - just wondered if anyone else was taking the old spec A2 this year?

Got a B in my AS level last year, so I'm pleased with that. I've now completed the syllabus for the A2 and starting to pull together notes for revision. I just have little idea if I'm moving along the right lines - just following my nose at the moment! Would be great to have others to talk to! #needy :colondollar:
I'm taking the same modules, so hi! :smile: my school have not finished the spec......still have three books of the Aeneid left to read and we haven't done any work on answering essay questions on the lit paper nor anything on sanctuaries!! I'm getting pretty worried at this point.
Reply 2
Oh good - I'm not on my own then!

I thought everyone might have finished the syllabus by the start of the Easter holiday? I guess all schools on different though! To be fair, I spent far longer on the Art & Arch unit than I have done on Virgil as I wanted to finish at the end of March to allow loads of time for revision. Sounds like you'll be done pretty soon after the Easter holidays?

All the sanctuaries stuff took ages for me. I did OK on the essays, but there seems to be soooo much to remember. I've just done my list of topics and subtopics for this unit and its ten pages long!! (ok, pretty wide-spaced, but still .... !)

How do you feel about the Aeneid? I've pulled out themes and I'll get quotes to back them up ... but how many do you need? I'm really rubbish at remembering them word for word. For the AS level, I kinda paraphrased so I guess it must have been OK seeing as I did alright. This is the problem with distance learning: while the materials have been really good, it's not the same as sitting in a classroom with other people in the same boat as you!
Original post by yorkgal101
Oh good - I'm not on my own then!

I thought everyone might have finished the syllabus by the start of the Easter holiday? I guess all schools on different though! To be fair, I spent far longer on the Art & Arch unit than I have done on Virgil as I wanted to finish at the end of March to allow loads of time for revision. Sounds like you'll be done pretty soon after the Easter holidays?

All the sanctuaries stuff took ages for me. I did OK on the essays, but there seems to be soooo much to remember. I've just done my list of topics and subtopics for this unit and its ten pages long!! (ok, pretty wide-spaced, but still .... !)

How do you feel about the Aeneid? I've pulled out themes and I'll get quotes to back them up ... but how many do you need? I'm really rubbish at remembering them word for word. For the AS level, I kinda paraphrased so I guess it must have been OK seeing as I did alright. This is the problem with distance learning: while the materials have been really good, it's not the same as sitting in a classroom with other people in the same boat as you!

Oh, I don't really bother with quotes, honestly! I know I should, but I hate having to rely on memorisation for marks. I prefer to remember what happens in each book, and then I can give a book number each time I reference the text. Eg 'when Aeneas sees his successors in the Underworld in book 6'.

My teacher hasn't really been teaching it with themes!!!! Which is slightly scary because I'm super unprepared and I can't really start revision until we're done. The most important thing I think is the presentation of what's heroic? So stuff about assistance of the gods, presentation of values, attitudes towards death and heroism, that kind of thing. I think. Another important aspect that can help with stuff is always putting something in about Virgil's political context.
Original post by StevetheIcecube

My teacher hasn't really been teaching it with themes!!!!

How has your teacher been teaching it then?! But I think you're at least on the right lines in terms of thinking about heroism etc. It is worth getting a copy of the specification if you haven't already got one (this can be printed from OCR's website) as well as getting your hands on (and having a go at!) as many past questions as possible, as this will enable you to see other themes that regularly crop up (women, fate etc. etc.)
Original post by yorkgal101

I'm studying OCR Classical Civilisation via distance learning. I'm taking the A2 exams in the summer - Art & Architecture and Virgil and the World of the Hero.

Who are you studying with, out of interest? Are you finding that there's enough support?
Original post by Classics_Teacher
How has your teacher been teaching it then?! But I think you're at least on the right lines in terms of thinking about heroism etc. It is worth getting a copy of the specification if you haven't already got one (this can be printed from OCR's website) as well as getting your hands on (and having a go at!) as many past questions as possible, as this will enable you to see other themes that regularly crop up (women, fate etc. etc.)

My teacher has been reading the book out to us and noting anything we might not understand, and then at the end of each part he does an analysis recapping key events, pretty much. Most of our lessons are taken up by him reading aloud
Reply 7
Original post by Classics_Teacher
Who are you studying with, out of interest? Are you finding that there's enough support?

I'm doing the A level through the National Extension College.

I've been very impressed so far. The materials are excellent and have really helped with the ability to think critically. The activities explore the themes, narrative techniques, socio-historical context, etc.

NEC's website is very good and there is a chatroom for each subject. Unfortunately, for Class Civ, it's very quiet - there are only three of us that tend to use it, aside from the tutors that post relevant resources etc. My tutor is very helpful, but I have missed being in a class with others, having the chance for discussion and debate.

So - that's why I'm here too! I've found the resources here very useful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by StevetheIcecube
My teacher has been reading the book out to us and noting anything we might not understand, and then at the end of each part he does an analysis recapping key events, pretty much. Most of our lessons are taken up by him reading aloud

Check out the revision resources on here - there is quite a bit on themes for this unit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending