The Student Room Group

weight loss 1200 calories

is 1200 calories enough to lose 20 pounds? currently weight 64kg and eating roughly 500 calories below maintenance

exercise: 100 jumping jacks
30 second sprints x 6
rest day once a week?

Scroll to see replies

You will lose weight but will probably be very hungry and susceptible to binges and it doesn't sound as if it's maintainable for a long period of time.

I would also expect to put all the weight back on once you start eating a normal diet again and more.....
Original post by Anonymous
is 1200 calories enough to lose 20 pounds? currently weight 64kg and eating roughly 500 calories below maintenance

exercise: 100 jumping jacks
30 second sprints x 6
rest day once a week?

that's not very much exercise if I'm being honest. Perhaps try more vigorous exercise such as 30 minutes of HIIT every day, and eating a clean diet with more than 1200 calories a day with plenty of lean meat, fruit and vegetables
Reply 3
Original post by Anatolios
that's not very much exercise if I'm being honest. Perhaps try more vigorous exercise such as 30 minutes of HIIT every day, and eating a clean diet with more than 1200 calories a day with plenty of lean meat, fruit and vegetables

i am talking about long term
6 sprints for 30 seconds
100 jumping jacks
Reply 4
Original post by Reeeeyah
You will lose weight but will probably be very hungry and susceptible to binges and it doesn't sound as if it's maintainable for a long period of time.

I would also expect to put all the weight back on once you start eating a normal diet again and more.....

i do want to maintain it and make it a long term thing but i also want to atleast lose 1 pound a week (3500 calories def)
shall i eat 1300 instead? i need 1700 to maintain my weight
is my exercise okay?
6 sprints for 30 seconds
100 jumping jacks

500 calories below maintenance is enough, and the other poster is right, you'll be susceptible to binges and quickly gaining it again. Think more exercise and less about fad diets
6 sprints for 30 seconds
100 jumping jacks

That's basically nothing. 6 sprints for 30 seconds is like walking to the shops and back. 100 jumping jacks while good as something to do in the day won't help you with anything if that and the sprints are all you're doing. You need to either go on proper runs outside for a few miles at a time or join a gym to use the cardio machines like the treadmill or exercise bike.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
500 calories below maintenance is enough, and the other poster is right, you'll be susceptible to binges and quickly gaining it again. Think more exercise and less about fad diets

so how am i eating not enough? 1200 calories is fine is it not because 1700 calories is my maintenance?

i need to lose weight and this isnt a diet
Reply 8
Original post by Glassapple
That's basically nothing. 6 sprints for 30 seconds is like walking to the shops and back. 100 jumping jacks while good as something to do in the day won't help you with anything if that and the sprints is all you're doing. You need to either go on proper runs outside for a few miles at a time or join a gym to use the cardio machines like the treadmill or exercise bike.

i thought sprinting was good because it burns calories really fast rather than spending 1 hour just running?

i was just thinking 6 sprints (30 seconds each) would be a good way? maybe 8?

thanks
you'll need 2 hours of intense bike riding to burn that off, youl sweat like crazy
so how am i eating not enough? 1200 calories is fine is it not because 1700 calories is my maintenance?

i need to lose weight and this isnt a diet

I don't know your gender, but 1,200 calories is incredibly low. You'll feel weak and tired all day and unable to exercise because of a lack of nutrients. I do a 30 minute HIIT workout 6 days a week as well as walking to and from school, and my schedule is very busy. I'm sure you can fit it in somewhere. Maybe try the 30 day push-up challenge? :smile:
i thought sprinting was good because it burns calories really fast rather than spending 1 hour just running?

i was just thinking 6 sprints (30 seconds each) would be a good way? maybe 8?

thanks

All that will happen is you'll be out of breath with extremely little to no results as it's not sustained exercise. As I said using either running outside for a few miles or cardio machines are the best way to lose weight. Sprinting for a total of 3 or 4 minutes is nothing to compared to an hour's run. I don't know where you've read cardio machines aren't effective, though the maximum you should be on one is an hour at a time and you should do that at least 3 times a week.
(edited 6 years ago)
Invest in a jump rope
Original post by TheRuralJuror
you'll need 2 hours of intense bike riding to burn that off, youl sweat like crazy

i have read this isnt effective lol and i dont want to spend 2 hours exercising each day its not long term either
i have read this isnt effective lol and i dont want to spend 2 hours exercising each day its not long term either

how is it not effective? ...well you can always to for a diet instead ...its useless to work out while eating unhealthy
Original post by Glassapple
All that will happen is you'll be out of breath with extremely little to no results as it's not sustained exercise. As I said using either running outside for a few miles or cardio machines are the best way to lose weight. Sprinting for a total of 3 or 4 minutes is nothing to compared to an hour's run.

i have read that doing it in intervals and sprinting is a lot more effective than a 1 hour run so im not sure

thanks
I don't know your gender, but 1,200 calories is incredibly low. You'll feel weak and tired all day and unable to exercise because of a lack of nutrients. I do a 30 minute HIIT workout 6 days a week as well as walking to and from school, and my schedule is very busy. I'm sure you can fit it in somewhere. Maybe try the 30 day push-up challenge? :smile:

sorry should of said. i am female, 5'5

the thing is 1700 is my maintenance so i thought cutting 500 calories would be ideal?
what HIT workout would you suggest?
Original post by TheRuralJuror
how is it not effective? ...well you can always to for a diet instead ...its useless to work out while eating unhealthy

i will be eating healthy? i didnt say i will be eating junk food im just unsure about my exercise routine and calories

thanks
1200 is the minimum amount for a woman, so unless you’re on the shorter side, you can probably have a bit more. The only real downside to eating so low calorie is that your metabolism will slow down before you lose 20 lbs. Calorie cycling and intermittent fasting has helped me a lot.
Original post by Gingeroot
1200 is the minimum amount for a woman, so unless you’re on the shorter side, you can probably have a bit more. The only real downside to eating so low calorie is that your metabolism will slow down before you lose 20 lbs. Calorie cycling and intermittent fasting has helped me a lot.

shall i change it to 1300 calories a day with 30 minute HIIT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending