The Student Room Group

How do I lose weight with hypothyroidism?

6ft, male, 278lbs here.

Not sure what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Original post by hypofato
6ft, male, 278lbs here.

Not sure what to do.

It is still a calorie deficit that is required.
Go and join MFP and get some friends and the advice of people who also have the same challenge or have overcome it. It is more difficult, but it is possible.

MFP.com
Original post by 999tigger
It is still a calorie deficit that is required.
Go and join MFP and get some friends and the advice of people who also have the same challenge or have overcome it. It is more difficult, but it is possible.

MFP.com

What has a decking website got to do with hypothyroidism?

ah I see lol if you copy and paste mfp.com it leads you to a decking website.
ah I see lol if you copy and paste mfp.com it leads you to a decking website.

Sorry was my fault, just shorthand for a very well known website.

If you need to lose weight then there are thousands of users who are doing or have done so.
Amongst them there are people with your situation or who weigh more.
Take time to research and learn the real facts plus mistakes people make.
It is possible but the better informed and organised you are, then the better chance you stand.
If you're really hypothyroid, you should get it treated.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
If you're really hypothyroid, you should get it treated.

I'm on levothyroxine at the moment but I'm still constantly exhausted, weight isn't coming off, still have thinned eyebrows etc. so I need to somehow convince my doctor that despite the blood tests coming back "normal" I still need to be treated.
I'm on levothyroxine at the moment but I'm still constantly exhausted, weight isn't coming off, still have thinned eyebrows etc. so I need to somehow convince my doctor that despite the blood tests coming back "normal" I still need to be treated.

If your TSH and T4 are normal, then its probably not the hypothyroidism causing this
Original post by Angry cucumber
If your TSH and T4 are normal, then its probably not the hypothyroidism causing this

The issue is the NHS range of normal is broad and it can't be a coincidence that I'm suffering symptoms that are normally caused by untreated hypothyroidism.
there’s a group on facebook called thyroid group UK, ive found it very helpful in terms of learning more about hypo and finding a eating plan which works for me. It’s not just calorie deficit it’s other things as well, you will need to make changes to your diet such as low carb, low sugar etc. I joined slimming world recently because a lot of people on the facebook group with hypo said it worked for them, ive been losing weight since i started it! Do give it a try if you can afford it! If it doesn’t work then it’s worth going to the doctor again and mentioning this because then they might adjust your medication dose. I spoke to someone on there who did slimming world, she was hypo but didn’t see any changes to her weight in the first 10 weeks, went to the doctor and told them about it and they referred her to an endo who then adjusted her meds.

TSH and T4 being normal doesn’t help with symptoms, they should be optimal for the symptoms to disappear
Original post by bubblegumcat
TSH and T4 being normal doesn’t help with symptoms, they should be optimal for the symptoms to disappear

If that were true, it'd be very easy to abuse as a weight loss regime
If that were true, it'd be very easy to abuse as a weight loss regime

i’ve spoken to loads of people with hypo that said their symptoms disappeared after their levels were optimal....so idk why you think it’s not true but i’m guessing you don’t have hypo. Also it’s not easy to get levels optimal, requires trial and error with change in doses.
My mum has hypothyroid and she is doing this Cambridge plan where she eats 4 of the sullied meals per day and each meal is 200 calories. So far she has lost 1 stone and she has been doing this plan since the start of April. Also my mum has been drinking lots of water so majority of the weight she has lost is water weight and she is still losing weight
The issue is the NHS range of normal is broad and it can't be a coincidence that I'm suffering symptoms that are normally caused by untreated hypothyroidism.

If you genuinely feel that you are clinically hypothyroid despite your medication book in with your GP or consultant. It is impossible for anybody from Dr Google to tell whether you need a higher dose of levothyroxine because they don't have access to you in person or your medication records.

---

The normal reference ranges for TSH and T4 are based upon 10,000s of data points. Yes, occasionally you do get "atypical" cases of clinical hypothyroidism despite normal TSH and T4 but they are relatively rare. The vast majority of the time if your results are in the normal reference range you are normal - you need to look at your diet and lifestyle!

Sure levothyroxine has a relatively wide therapeutic range, and a higher dose of levothyroxine would probably help you to lose weight (very slightly). However that does not mean that you need a higher dose or that your doctor should prescribe a higher dose.

I suspect that you are underestimating the effect of your lifestyle here but also the extent of your obesity. You are going to feel slow, out of breath and struggle more with everyday tasks if you are 50kg overweight. Sure your medical condition hasn't helped but what you are seeing here has been months, possibly years, in the making (eg; subclinical hormonal condition + lack of a calorie controlled diet, a poor diet in general and/or lack of exercise).

This is not something you can fix in a couple of weeks with medication (if an increase in dose is indicated). I guarantee that this will take months of making an effort to be more active, eating better, gym/sport and eating less. Equally a lot of the improvements in hair/skin quality/growth, energy level, demeanour, etc can take several months to normalise.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
If you genuinely feel that you are clinically hypothyroid despite your medication book in with your GP or consultant. It is impossible for anybody from Dr Google to tell whether you need a higher dose of levothyroxine because they don't have access to you in person or your medication records.

---

The normal reference ranges for TSH and T4 are based upon 10,000s of data points. Yes, occasionally you do get "atypical" cases of clinical hypothyroidism despite normal TSH and T4 but they are relatively rare. The vast majority of the time if your results are in the normal reference range you are normal - you need to look at your diet and lifestyle!

Sure levothyroxine has a relatively wide therapeutic range, and a higher dose of levothyroxine would probably help you to lose weight (very slightly). However that does not mean that you need a higher dose or that your doctor should prescribe a higher dose.

I suspect that you are underestimating the effect of your lifestyle here but also the extent of your obesity. You are going to feel slow, out of breath and struggle more with everyday tasks if you are 50kg overweight. Sure your medical condition hasn't helped but what you are seeing here has been months, possibly years, in the making (eg; subclinical hormonal condition + lack of a calorie controlled diet, a poor diet in general and/or lack of exercise).

This is not something you can fix in a couple of weeks with medication (if an increase in dose is indicated). I guarantee that this will take months of making an effort to be more active, eating better, gym/sport and eating less. Equally a lot of the improvements in hair/skin quality/growth, energy level, demeanour, etc can take several months to normalise.

you’ve assumed so many things wtf?? one i DO have hypothyroidism, my levels were not normal at first and so they put me on levo and now my levels are normal but i don’t necessarily feel better, so that’s why i’m saying a higher dose could be beneficial and yes it could help with weight loss but that’s not the only reason why i want it. I also never said i was obese? overweight yes, and the weight gain happened after i started taking levo not before, so i suspect levo has had something to do with it because i never changed my diet at all and i used to be at a healthy weight. I do follow a healthy diet right now and i have been losing weight, but after reading stories from other hypo patients i found out that a lot of the weight loss methods they tried didn’t initially work until their meds got adjusted, and note i said adjusted not increased. Yes eating better, exercising and eating less helps with weight loss but if someone has hypothyroidism then what also helps is having the right dose of levo and from what i’ve seen just having a dose that makes levels normal isn’t helpful. I could go on but i’m wasting my time and i shouldn’t have to explain how crap i feel because of this condition to idiots like you.
you’ve assumed so many things wtf?? one i DO have hypothyroidism, my levels were not normal at first and so they put me on levo and now my levels are normal but i don’t necessarily feel better, so that’s why i’m saying a higher dose could be beneficial and yes it could help with weight loss but that’s not the only reason why i want it. I also never said i was obese? overweight yes, and the weight gain happened after i started taking levo not before, so i suspect levo has had something to do with it because i never changed my diet at all and i used to be at a healthy weight. I do follow a healthy diet right now and i have been losing weight, but after reading stories from other hypo patients i found out that a lot of the weight loss methods they tried didn’t initially work until their meds got adjusted, and note i said adjusted not increased. Yes eating better, exercising and eating less helps with weight loss but if someone has hypothyroidism then what also helps is having the right dose of levo and from what i’ve seen just having a dose that makes levels normal isn’t helpful. I could go on but i’m wasting my time and i shouldn’t have to explain how crap i feel because of this condition to idiots like you.

If you read what I posted the vast majority was not directed at you at all but the original poster.

Forums never cease to amaze me at how offended and rude people can become over completely innocent and well intended advice.

I understand that you have hypothyroidism, however that doesn't necessarily mean that you are right. As I will say again, the best thing the OP can do is consult their GP or consultant.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
If you read what I posted the vast majority was not directed at you at all but the original poster.

Forums never cease to amaze me at how offended and rude people can become over completely innocent and well intended advice.

I understand that you have hypothyroidism, however that doesn't necessarily mean that you are right. As I will say again, the best thing the OP can do is consult their GP or consultant.

then don’t quote me.

Quick Reply

Latest