The Student Room Group

GYG: Revise with me! Abe's last minute struggle to GCSEs

:bl:Abe's Last minute struggle to GCSEs:bl:

Well, it's a bit late to start a GYG now but I thought it would be fun to document my revision progress! I'm about a week into term break without having done anything! So I'm finally planning to start tomorrow.

Some quick facts about me

I'm fifteen (my birthday is literally two days after study leave :frown:)

I love watching movies, reading and trying to exercise??

I found this website literally 2 days ago

I don't live in the UK but I go to a British school but next year I'm going to boarding school (in the UK ofc)! and it's going to be the first time I've moved school ever so I'm kinda nervous

Here are my GCSEs!!

Spoiler

Generally, I use the Pomodoro technique to learn my stuff (I use the [paid] app Forest on my phone), then I do a tonne past papers a week before the actual exam

So that's that! I'm looking forward (maybe not haha) to starting tomorrow!:eek3:

Scroll to see replies

How are you on letters when you're doing this years gcses?
Original post by bmovan

:bl:Abe's Last minute struggle to GCSEs:bl:

Well, it's a bit late to start a GYG now but I thought it would be fun to document my revision progress! I'm about a week into term break without having done anything! So I'm finally planning to start tomorrow.

Some quick facts about me

I'm fifteen (my birthday is literally two days after study leave :frown:)

I love watching movies, reading and trying to exercise??

I found this website literally 2 days ago

I don't live in the UK but I go to a British school but next year I'm going to boarding school (in the UK ofc)! and it's going to be the first time I've moved school ever so I'm kinda nervous

Here are my GCSEs!!

Spoiler

Generally, I use the Pomodoro technique to learn my stuff (I use the [paid] app Forest on my phone), then I do a tonne past papers a week before the actual exam

So that's that! I'm looking forward (maybe not haha) to starting tomorrow!:eek3:

how did you revise for english language?
Reply 3
Original post by sharri.coco
How are you on letters when you're doing this years gcses?

My school's starting GCSEs with all numbers for the next year's GCSE lot. Unfortunately, for my year they only use numbers when it comes to Maths and English Lit. So i dont actually know haha. It could also depend on the exam board - my school uses different exam boards for different subjects
Original post by bmovan
My school's starting GCSEs with all numbers for the next year's GCSE lot. Unfortunately, for my year they only use numbers when it comes to Maths and English Lit. So i dont actually know haha. It could also depend on the exam board - my school uses different exam boards for different subjects

well lucky you!
Reply 5
Original post by chloesky2018
how did you revise for english language?

depends what exam board you use? I'm on Cambridge
I just do as many past papers as possible for lang, and look at the markscheme afterwards. After a while, you get the gist of what they want. Are you also on cambridge?
Reply 6
Original post by sharri.coco
well lucky you!

haha yeah, the number grading just makes it harder in my opinion
Original post by bmovan
haha yeah, the number grading just makes it harder in my opinion

trust me they are :frown:
Reply 8
What do you recommend doing for maths, English literature and triple science??
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Suhxrr
What do you recommend doing for maths, English literature and triple science??

Which eng lit course do you take? I do edexcel igcse so I need to learn The book of mice and men and do a poetry section (which has unseen poetry and poetry comparisons). For the book, I made a whole database with characters and 3 points per character which I can just regurgitate in the exam. I’m really not great at lit, so right before the exam I just write essays cos it helps me remember what to write and also helps me practice exam technique. Gives your essays to your teacher to mark as well!
If you’re doing the edexcel igcse anthology poetry as well I really recommend this guy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgBZTCMhCsgerqdCIRwVsNg

For maths and science, I take notes using the specification as a tick box as sometimes Teachers in school could miss out some things or you just plain forgot about them
Also, try to find workbooks for the sciences. The textbook range “CGP” has great workbooks you can work through (but u have u buy it lol, unless u can find it online for free). Also, do past papers. I use the website “fast past papers”
For maths, reuse the questions your teacher gave u in class and then use do past papers

Hope this helps!
Reply 10
Thank you for the advice and I’m doing edexcel Macbeth, an inspector calls and Christmas carol as well as the conflict anthology
Reply 11
Original post by Suhxrr
Thank you for the advice and I’m doing edexcel Macbeth, an inspector calls and Christmas carol as well as the conflict anthology

Ah ok, we’re doing completely different topics I’m afraid. But good luck!!
Reply 12
Friday 6th April
I didn't get as much done as I hoped I would
- I went to the gym at noon for an hour which was great
- I revised history exam technique for 2 hours (btw, if you're doing the History iGCSE and need some exam technique notes then just ask)
- I went shopping for people's birthday presents (even though their birthday was ages ago)
- I'm trying and failing to revise psychology right now, nothing's sticking
- I'm hoping tomorrow will go better! :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by Bathila
I use the forest app too :bban:!! Whats your forest email address? I can add you as friends (mine is [email protected])

And how do you revise for English language? I just keep procrastinating:frown:

Attachment not found

I just followed you on forest!!
For eng Lang depends on your exam board, do u also use Cambridge ?
Reply 14
Original post by Bathila
:frown: no I do aqa

Ah ok! My only advice is to do past papers I’m afraid ! I’m procrastinating as well haha
Reply 15
Original post by Bathila
Lol I will print out it some past papers. I haven’t got the Friend request on forest tho

Oh ok, my email is [email protected] (I was a reAL doctor who fan when I was like 12)
I can see ur account on the ranking tho? In forest
Reply 16
Original post by Bathila
I added you! :biggrin:
I love doctor who as well. Who’s your favourite doctor?

Ten!!! Super cliche I know . How about you?
Reply 17
Original post by Bathila
😂

Mine is Matt smith. Who’s your fav companion? Mines Clara. Have you watched the 11th series

I think Donna! Yeap! I q liked the 12th doctor but I’m also rlly looking forward to a girl doctor!
Reply 18
Original post by Bathila
Me too! So excited😝. I wonder how the tardis is gonna look. Unfortunately we have to wait until this autumn 🍂

Omg yeah the tardis . Also, we don’t know who the companion is going to be do we?
Reply 19
Original post by Bathila
I read some articles and they have said that these people are the cast for series 11 19D8EC42-38DE-47F5-9AE0-39FD5957F658.jpeg

I’m so excited!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending