The Student Room Group

Magnetism Mechanism Problem

Hi,

Can someone explain the mechanism of this, I don't seem to understand what the person is saying in this video.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHmLgXWR1U

Also can someone tell me which equations are required to find the Speed and Acceleration of the slider, this has me quite stumped.

Thanks,
Original post by ChemBoy1
Hi,

Can someone explain the mechanism of this, I don't seem to understand what the person is saying in this video.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHmLgXWR1U

Also can someone tell me which equations are required to find the Speed and Acceleration of the slider, this has me quite stumped.

Thanks,

This is exactly the same principle as used in a moving-coil loudspeaker.

His explanation is incorrect in several places and he misunderstands some basic concepts of solenoid fields.

Because the magnetic field generated by the permanent magnets in the video, are not optimally arranged, the energy losses will be greater and hence the efficiency will be less than if the system was optimised.

Basic equation is:

ma = BiL sin theta.

There is no such thing as an overunity machine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for this, yeah I didn't quite understand his explanation, and I would like to make a similar model myself. So is the coil essentially an electromagnet which gets attracted to either North Pole causing the slider to move?

Sin theta = 1 am I right in that? So acc= BIL/m Is L the length of the coil slider? Also how would you find the velocity afterwards, and displacement as well?

Thanks for your help.
Original post by uberteknik
This is exactly the same principle as used in a moving-coil loudspeaker.

His explanation is incorrect in several places and he misunderstands some basic concepts of solenoid fields.

Because the magnetic field generated by the permanent magnets in the video, are not optimally arranged, the energy losses will be greater and hence the efficiency will be less than if the system was optimised.

Basic equation is:

ma = BiL sin theta.

There is no such thing as an overunity machine.

Quick Reply

Latest