The Student Room Group

Film production, middlesex or ravensbourne?

I have done a huge research about those options.
No one complains about middlesex, I spoke with people that are on the course, and they´re doing good. The only issue is: Midlesex offered me a place without arranging an interview or sending a portfolio, which says that is not as exclusive as Ravensbourne, which receives 1000 applications, gives only 400 interviews and keeps 120/130 people.

But... their student satisfaction is much lower compared to middlese. People says that it feels more like a company rather than a university, and is more independent.
93% of students works in the industry after graduation. In Middlesex just the 75%.
Both have the same equipment.

Last thing, middlesex is the best uni for film in the UK as The Guardian says, but someone from there told me that there were people who didnt show up, or not very comitted (because they dont choose their students, they just accept the standard).

HEEEELP
Original post by chaimaa28
No one complains about middlesex, I spoke with people that are on the course, and they´re doing good. The only issue is: Midlesex offered me a place without arranging an interview or sending a portfolio, which says that is not as exclusive as Ravensbourne, which receives 1000 applications, gives only 400 interviews and keeps 120/130 people.

But... their student satisfaction is much lower compared to middlese. People says that it feels more like a company rather than a university, and is more independent.
93% of students works in the industry after graduation. In Middlesex just the 75%.

Last thing, middlesex is the best uni for film in the UK as The Guardian says, but someone from there told me that there were people who didnt show up, or not very comitted (because they dont choose their students, they just accept the standard).

HEEEELP

Hey chaimaa28,

I'm currently a design student at Ravensbourne but I have friends who are on the BA Film Production course who have said that the course here really prepares them for the industry compared to other universities which can be shown in our graduate employment rate. We are very much industry focused but there is a sense of community within Ravensbourne. You will be able to meet other students from different courses and there are a lot of opportunities for multi discipline collaboration projects.

While speaking to one of my friends he was telling me the reason our course satisfaction is low compared to other universities is because the course involves a lot of independent work. It isn't a lot of hand holding but they do give you the skills and tools too make it in the industry.

Here are some comments from our alumni:

"Ravensbourne were two of the most challenging, enriching, tiresome, hilarious years of my life that shaped me as an individual and as a working freelancer in the film industry." - Thomas Bryan

"I really liked the fact that the course work at Ravensbourne was project based and that I was able to work in my own time. That was a great selling point for me and contributed towards my decision to study at Ravensbourne." - Tayo Odesanya

You can always also come visit Ravensbourne to talk to our film students to get their honest opinions.

I hope this has helped and please feel free to get in touch for more information about the course as well as student comments.

Thank you ,

Row:h:

HEEEELP

Morning :smile:

Nice to hear that you are interested in studying with us.
I have graduated in Media and I loved my time at Middlesex :smile: (I am doing a Masters now!)
There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make new friends! There are sports, societies, volunteering opportunities and jobs on campus.
About BA Film, there are loads of industry links and great ways to showcase your work (some students managed to take part in the BFI :smile:)
Of course, it is a very practical course,so you can really learn by doing.
Do you have any specific question about the course?

Have a great day!
Ludovica
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Middlesex University
Morning :smile:

Nice to hear that you are interested in studying with us!
I have graduated in Media and I loved my time at Middlesex :smile: (I am doing a Masters now!)
There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make new friends! There are sports, societies, volunteering opportunities and jobs on campus!
About BA Film, there are loads of industry links and great ways to showcase your work (some students managed to take part in the BFI :smile:)
Of course, it is a very practical course,so you can really learn by doing!
Do you have any specific question about the course?

Have a great day!
Ludovica

Yes I do have one more question!

Everyone spoke good about Middlesex, but the thing is that I was accepted without even arranging an interiew or showing a portfolio. The entry requirements are very low, which makes Middlesex less exclusive than Ravensbourne.

Film needs a spirit of team work, and being in a group with people who were accepted just for the personal statement, really worries me.

Why does Middlesex do that? And what do you think?
Yes I do have one more question!

Everyone spoke good about Middlesex, but the thing is that I was accepted without even arranging an interiew or showing a portfolio. The entry requirements are very low, which makes Middlesex less exclusive than Ravensbourne.

Film needs a spirit of team work, and being in a group with people who were accepted just for the personal statement, really worries me.

Why does Middlesex do that? And what do you think?

Hello,

I spoke with my colleagues from the admissions and they said that you have had an offer from us because you have provided a strong application.
So, do not worry about the level of the class as we review all applications on a case by case basis.

Hope it helps!
Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Ludovica
Reply 5
I have the same issue!! I have a place in Middlesex, in Ravensbourne and in Westminster.... I don't know which one could be better, so don't know which one should I choose. All of them offer you to participate in film festivals, provides a good equipment, nice campuses, collaborate with other students... Which one prepares you better? Which one provides a healthier/friendly environment, and more facilities and opportunities? Don't know
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello,

I spoke with my colleagues from the admissions and they said that you have had an offer from us because you have provided a strong application.
So, do not worry about the level of the class as we review all applications on a case by case basis.

Hope it helps!
Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Ludovica

Hey,
I would like to know how many places are offered at Middlesex for a film course.
Original post by Elen2300
Hey,
I would like to know how many places are offered at Middlesex for a film course.

Hi Elen,

Unfortunately I do not have these information. It depends on the year and we do not have these info.
Did you apply? Have your heard back from us?

Have a great day
Ludovica
Reply 8
Hi Elen,

Unfortunately I do not have these information. It depends on the year and we do not have these info.
Did you apply? Have your heard back from us?

Have a great day
Ludovica

Yes, I have applied but did not receive any offer. I was just wondering when I will be informed on my admission status.
Reply 9

HEEEELP

I would stay well away from ravensbourne I won't say what uni I am at to safeguard my lecturers but I have lectures who have worked their and students who move to my uni every year from there and they HATE it you are basically paying for the kit and they leave you to it. Back in the day it used to be the place to go but that has changed now. There are many companies who if you get your degree from ravensbourne will just refuse to look at you because of the stuck up reputation the students studying there have gave it. I can't stress enough the uni I am at has extremely good kit and is a hard course to get on BUT kit means nothing if you don't know how to use it. look for the uni that has the lectures who will help you through the degree and further - that way you will enjoy your time with minimal stress x
Reply 10
Original post by rosie97_
I would stay well away from ravensbourne I won't say what uni I am at to safeguard my lecturers but I have lectures who have worked their and students who move to my uni every year from there and they HATE it you are basically paying for the kit and they leave you to it. Back in the day it used to be the place to go but that has changed now. There are many companies who if you get your degree from ravensbourne will just refuse to look at you because of the stuck up reputation the students studying there have gave it. I can't stress enough the uni I am at has extremely good kit and is a hard course to get on BUT kit means nothing if you don't know how to use it. look for the uni that has the lectures who will help you through the degree and further - that way you will enjoy your time with minimal stress x

Do you mean in terms of Film production?
Do you mean in terms of Film production?

Yes film production specifically thats all I have knowledge on :smile:
Original post by rosie97_

If you are not attending Ravensboune, how can you say it is not good? Do you have anybody you know who attend the course?

"There are many companies who if you get your degree from ravensbourne will just refuse to look at you because of the stuck up reputation the students studying there have gave it"

-Isn't it obvious that what matters the most to get into the industry are your skills, experience, and connections? Do people still care about the reputation of the university today?
Original post by misaki0113
If you are not attending Ravensboune, how can you say it is not good? Do you have anybody you know who attend the course?

"There are many companies who if you get your degree from ravensbourne will just refuse to look at you because of the stuck up reputation the students studying there have gave it"

-Isn't it obvious that what matters the most to get into the industry are your skills, experience, and connections? Do people still care about the reputation of the university today?

I am only saying what I have heard from many people and yes two students have left Ravensboune to join my degree and they hated it. I am only saying what I have been told. This is not my view as I have not attended. I do not want to go into industry. Sorry if I am touching a nerve I do not mean to I am only saying what I have been told.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending