The Student Room Group

How many quotes should I revise for closed book exams?

I'm doing closed book exams for Hamlet, Dr Faustus and Enron and have no clue on how many quotes to learn. From my calculations, it's around 50 per book but I'm sure that's way too many. And how do prioritise quotes, there's so many important ones.
Also, the exam board is WJEC/Eduqas and I cannot seem to find even one past paper. If anyone can help please do. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I don’t think you necessarily need a set amount of quotes per text.
But a good bank of quotes is definitely needed.

So as long as you know a few quotes per theme of each text, then that should be good.

I’m studying a different Shakespeare play called ‘Othello’, so I’m collecting quotes for each of these key themes in the play:
-Race/Racism
-Sex
-Jealousy
-Women
-Manipulation/Deceit

As for the past papers, I don’t know as I’ve never done English with WJEC but if you look online on the WJEC website they’ll probably be there.
Reply 2
Original post by maria.3
I don’t think you necessarily need a set amount of quotes per text.
But a good bank of quotes is definitely needed.

So as long as you know a few quotes per theme of each text, then that should be good.

I’m studying a different Shakespeare play called ‘Othello’, so I’m collecting quotes for each of these key themes in the play:
-Race/Racism
-Sex
-Jealousy
-Women
-Manipulation/Deceit

As for the past papers, I don’t know as I’ve never done English with WJEC but if you look online on the WJEC website they’ll probably be there.

Right, thanks. As for past papers, genuinely cannot find any so I'm going to write essays on themes and characters instead.
Reply 3
Original post by marrrria
Right, thanks. As for past papers, genuinely cannot find any so I'm going to write essays on themes and characters instead.

Are you looking for GCSE, AS or A Level past papers?
And is it English Lit or Lang?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by maria.3
Are you looking for GCSE, AS or A Level past papers?
And is it English Lit or Lang?

A level English Lit WJEC, our exams are linear.
Our teacher recommended learning five quotes per character. But Idk how to prioritise them if they're all important.
Reply 6
Original post by Know Your Enemy
Our teacher recommended learning five quotes per character. But Idk how to prioritise them if they're all important.

exactly. after recently doing mocks I decided not to limit myself to a specific amount. I don't think 5 per character is enough personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending