The Student Room Group

pls help me im so stuck!!

I'm really confused, ebery question I do on hess's law/enthalpy change I get it wrong. the markscheme for this question says: -642-286-(-602/2 x -92) which gives -142jkmol-1
BUT i got -1345kjmol-1, im so confused i used the enthalpy of formation equation= products-reactants because i really dont want to use those hess law diagrams, i did -286+(-642)-(-92 x 2)+(602) = -1345

but using the enthalpy of formation question how would ik i have to divide -602 by 2 and multiply -92 by 2 like im supposed to from the equation? pls help me

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
do you have a picture of the question ?
Attachment says ’’Attachment not found’’ =/
Reply 3
thanks for letting me know, hopefully its up now?
Reply 4
Original post by Ray_Shadows
do you have a picture of the question ?

yeah sorry can u seee it now
Original post by usernamenew
thanks for letting me know, hopefully its up now?

The Standard Enthalpy change is:

Sum of enthalpy of formation i.e /\H f (Products) - Sum /\H (reactants).
(-286-642) - (-602- (2x92)) = -928+786= -142KJmol^-1
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by theowinn
The Standard Enthalpy change is:

Sum of enthalpy of formation i.e /\H f (Products) - Sum /\H (reactants).
(-286-642) - (-602- (2x92)) = -928+786= -142KJmol^-1

thank u so much! so what i did was right but i have to work it out bit by bit.

Stay calm and don't pit everything on calculator . . Do product separate and reactant separate .. good luck

Yeah man your good just make sure your signs are correct a two minus' becomes a plus remember!
Reply 9
Original post by igotnomoney
Stay calm and don't pit everything on calculator . . Do product separate and reactant separate .. good luck

thank u so much lol i just put everything on the calculator every time i tried these questions
Original post by theowinn
Yeah man your good just make sure your signs are correct a two minus' becomes a plus remember!

thanks, do u mind helping me on another question, cba to set up another forum
thanks, do u mind helping me on another question, cba to set up another forum

Whats the question?
Original post by dip0
Whats the question?

how would i do this question without using the hess law diagrams, would i use the enthalpy of formation=products-reactants
the markscheme shows
ΔH + 963 = –75 432 OR ΔH + 963 = 507 (M1)
ΔH = –75 432 963 (M1 and M2)
ΔH = –1470 (kJ mol–1) Award 1 mark for + 1470

but i dont understand this markscheme
how would i do this question without using the hess law diagrams, would i use the enthalpy of formation=products-reactants
the markscheme shows
ΔH + 963 = –75 432 OR ΔH + 963 = 507 (M1)
ΔH = –75 432 963 (M1 and M2)
ΔH = –1470 (kJ mol–1) Award 1 mark for + 1470

but i dont understand this markscheme

Whenever you are given enthalpy data, the only way about to answering the question is to construct a Hess's law cycle, there is no other way around.
You are familiar with the definition of Hess's law right?

We use -963 instead of +963 because we are interested in the opposite reaction going, which means this is an exothermic process as opposed to the reaction (+963) given in question which is endothermic.

As for what the MS is trying to say, think of it like this:
if I wanted to go from Birmingham to Manchester, but couldn't go directly. Then I could go from Birmingham to Nottingham, then from Nottingham to Manchester. If the displacement from Birmingham to Nottingham is X, then the displacement from Nottingham to Birmingham is -X (going in opposite direction).
Hope this analogy is of some help.
Original post by dip0
Whenever you are given enthalpy data, the only way about to answering the question is to construct a Hess's law cycle, there is no other way around.
You are familiar with the definition of Hess's law right?

We use -963 instead of +963 because we are interested in the opposite reaction going, which means this is an exothermic process as opposed to the reaction (+963) given in question which is endothermic.

As for what the MS is trying to say, think of it like this:
if I wanted to go from Birmingham to Manchester, but couldn't go directly. Then I could go from Birmingham to Nottingham, then from Nottingham to Manchester. If the displacement from Birmingham to Nottingham is X, then the displacement from Nottingham to Birmingham is -X (going in opposite direction).
Hope this analogy is of some help.

wow thank u so much, so is there no way i can use the formula for these hess law types of questions, my teacher taught that u could use either of them, so i have to use the diagram in this case? also how do u know which route or way to go, which enthalpy change are we trying to find out? im guessing its the one that says enthalpychange in the diagram?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest