The Student Room Group

Joining the British Army with a brief history of Depression...

I was just wondering if this would be an issue?
I was on Antidepressants from October 2016 - January 2017, I've never suffered with depression before. This was all down too a bad relationship and a lot of bad things happening in a short space of time whilst working 2 jobs, doing a full-time university course and being bullied none stop by one of my managers. I had no support and no one to talk too. There's a lot more on top of that, but I'll leave it there.
I have already applied and passed the medical questionnaire through the website, I am currently in training for the assessment days. But I am worried about this one thing. Mentally I am 100% certain I'd be fine (If not completely exhausted) going through phase 1 training. Hard work doesn't stress me out and I am one of those people who pushes myself to achieve success. I got through Police Medical Checks last year and was deemed completely fine. (My Police course was cancelled for the second time, this is why I want to go into the army).
Reply 1
Original post by Katieolivia1994
I was just wondering if this would be an issue?
I was on Antidepressants from October 2016 - January 2017, I've never suffered with depression before.

There's a document available via googling that outlines the conditions that can preclude service, among the listed conditions is:

"Psychiatric disorders;
Depressive disorders with or without treatment of any form in the last 3 years or 2 or more episodes in the last 4 years, or 3 episodes at any time"

It would suggest that this is something you might fall foul of, so passing an initial medical might not be the whole story.

However, the only way you'll know is to carry on with the application and let the Army decide.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
There's a document available via googling that outlines the conditions that can preclude service, among the listed conditions is:

"Psychiatric disorders;
Depressive disorders with or without treatment of any form in the last 3 years or 2 or more episodes in the last 4 years, or 3 episodes at any time"

It would suggest that this is something you might fall foul of, so passing an initial medical might not be the whole story.

However, the only way you'll know is to carry on with the application and let the Army decide.

That's the RAF Medical Requirements: The army ones are;

Psychiatric disorders:
Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia.

But I haven't yet heard of anyone who has been accepted into the army with Depression. When I called up, they said I could appeal if they decision the reached was a no.
Reply 3
That's the RAF Medical Requirements: The army ones are;

Psychiatric disorders:
Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia.

But I haven't yet heard of anyone who has been accepted into the army with Depression. When I called up, they said I could appeal if they decision the reached was a no.

It is, but the standards are broadly similar (and that RAF document is a couple of years old). There's an argument of semantics that could be made; do you have depression, or did you have depression?

Point is, you'll only know what your chances are by continuing your application.

An appeal would be a separate matter and one not worth thinking about until you have to.
Original post by Drewski
It is, but the standards are broadly similar (and that RAF document is a couple of years old). There's an argument of semantics that could be made; do you have depression, or did you have depression?

Point is, you'll only know what your chances are by continuing your application.

An appeal would be a separate matter and one not worth thinking about until you have to.

Might as well keep getting into shape then. If I have to wait until I'm 2-3 years in a clear that only the end of this year. So hopefully I'd be able to join up next year in that case.
Might as well keep getting into shape then. If I have to wait until I'm 2-3 years in a clear that only the end of this year. So hopefully I'd be able to join up next year in that case.

That sounds like a fair plan. You should also be ready with supporting evidence from your GP.
Original post by 999tigger
That sounds like a fair plan. You should also be ready with supporting evidence from your GP.

I'm going in to see my GP on Monday to have a letter written up to state I'm perfectly fine now and have been since I chose to come off Antidepressants. I mean this past year hasn't been great, but this time round I had the support, so I didn't feel the need to go to doctors.

I also still have all the evidence from 2016 which caused all the issues in the first place. So if I have to make an appeal, I don't lack paperwork.
I'm going in to see my GP on Monday to have a letter written up to state I'm perfectly fine now and have been since I chose to come off Antidepressants. I mean this past year hasn't been great, but this time round I had the support, so I didn't feel the need to go to doctors.

I also still have all the evidence from 2016 which caused all the issues in the first place. So if I have to make an appeal, I don't lack paperwork.

Prepare in your mind for both outcomes. If you go this year great, but its not a disaster if you have to wait a bit longer.
hi can you tell me if your application was successful...im in similar position thanks !

Latest