The Student Room Group

Reasons for University coursework deadline extension

Just wondering what type of reasons would universities accept to allow for a deadline extension of around a week.

I was also wondering that can you apply for a extension from the day the coursework is set or only close to the deadline?

Thanks.
Health.
Original post by random_matt
Health.

Anything specific?
Original post by Kira Yagami
Anything specific?

Well, i have mental health condition and can have plenty if i need them. Extra time in exams also.

Just explain your cirumstances, the list is probably endless.
Just wondering what type of reasons would universities accept to allow for a deadline extension of around a week.

I was also wondering that can you apply for a extension from the day the coursework is set or only close to the deadline?

Thanks.

1. Either. It is better to apply in good time, but if you know you will need an extension as soon as it is set then youd better have a substantial reason.
2. The extenuating circumstances procedure will explain it. It will be on the website or ask the department or check the handbook or ask an adviser.

They like3rd party medical evidence.
Have a look at the guidelines from your school , they’ll have specific examples about when they can grant an extension. What they include and don’t include , for example my uni wouldn’t accept the loss/damage of a laptop (and therefore the work) as a reason for extension as everything should be regularly backed up!

So, yeah, double check with your guidelines it’s probably the quickest and easiet way to get your answer !
Generally if you can get a GP or similar to write a letter confirming a health condition (including potentially learning disabilities and so on - normally you will be assessed by your universities accessibility office after applying for disabled students allowance), that will suffice. Additionally bereavement of immediate family members will also usually be considered (a death certificate will probably be required at some point though)

Be aware that most universities explicitly do not accept "flu/cold/similar" as a legitimate health reason, as they normally indicate in their statutes etc that the deadlines used are drawn up to bear in mind any "minor" disruptions such as these.

Generally it would be best to find out in advance and if that's not possible, simply put in the application for mitigating/extenuating circumstances and wait to see if they accept it or not (there is usually some appeal process possible).
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay, thanks everyone!
Check with your university's policies. Normally this sort of thing needs to be sorted out well in advance, unless of course it's a sudden issue that couldn't be sorted earlier. Typically things like health issues that will have a significant impact on your ability to complete the assignment in time, or a family issue such as the death of an immediate family member. Universities normally need some sort of evidence to allow you to have an extension e.g. doctors note, prescriptions etc.

If you're thinking about lying to get an extension... don't. Just do the work and hand it in when you're supposed to.
Original post by 999tigger
1. Either. It is better to apply in good time, but if you know you will need an extension as soon as it is set then youd better have a substantial reason.
2. The extenuating circumstances procedure will explain it. It will be on the website or ask the department or check the handbook or ask an adviser.

They like3rd party medical evidence.

I am in a simmilar sitaution. I want to apply for an extension because i have not been in the mental head space to do my assignment which has impacted me on focusing to do it. I know everyone at the moment is affected by this current situation but even before this whole thing happened, i just have not been motivated and in the correct mindset. I feel like such a failure right now but don't know if that would be accepted as an extension. My uni do a 1 day extension and a 5 day extension, i don't mind either, but of course, i would prefer the 5 day one.
Original post by Blackstarr
I am in a simmilar sitaution. I want to apply for an extension because i have not been in the mental head space to do my assignment which has impacted me on focusing to do it. I know everyone at the moment is affected by this current situation but even before this whole thing happened, i just have not been motivated and in the correct mindset. I feel like such a failure right now but don't know if that would be accepted as an extension. My uni do a 1 day extension and a 5 day extension, i don't mind either, but of course, i would prefer the 5 day one.

This is 1 year ago and totally cant remember making it.

Imo get medical evidence (dont be afraid) and ask for more rather than less. Get the application in before the deadline rather than after.
A mistake is people dont ask for long enough then have to go back and ask for more with a poorer chance.
If you have a history and cant see the GP in time then still put the application in, talk to support services and say you will get the GP letter when you an book in. If you need more then ask for more. I cant see your rules. You can drop cv19 in if you want as well if you or someone else has been affected.

Sooner you put the application in sooner you can know.
This is 1 year ago and totally cant remember making it.

Imo get medical evidence (dont be afraid) and ask for more rather than less. Get the application in before the deadline rather than after.
A mistake is people dont ask for long enough then have to go back and ask for more with a poorer chance.
If you have a history and cant see the GP in time then still put the application in, talk to support services and say you will get the GP letter when you an book in. If you need more then ask for more. I cant see your rules. You can drop cv19 in if you want as well if you or someone else has been affected.

Sooner you put the application in sooner you can know.

Thank you for your reply. I have been hesitating because, i just don't know how to word it professionally. Also, i have been holding back, never been to the doctors about my issues relating to mental health,sleep patterns etc. Just been managing on my own to be honest, suffering in silence. On the flip side though, last month, i went to see the health and well being department, and the lady i saw put me down on a referall list, which, of course, might take time etc.

Plus, i am living off my savings from my gap year and gave some ££ to my family..........all these things among the covid 19 and uni shuttng, like i go liblary to borrow books and it helps me with my assignments but now its like everything we have to do online

with the COVID 19, a week before the lockdown etc, my lecturer for the specific module said he is not gonna extend anything which is a shame.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you for your reply. I have been hesitating because, i just don't know how to word it professionally. Also, i have been holding back, never been to the doctors about my issues relating to mental health,sleep patterns etc. Just been managing on my own to be honest, suffering in silence. On the flip side though, last month, i went to see the health and well being department, and the lady i saw put me down on a referall list, which, of course, might take time etc.

Plus, i am living off my savings from my gap year and gave some ££ to my family..........all these things among the covid 19 and uni shuttng, like i go liblary to borrow books and it helps me with my assignments but now its like everything we have to do online

with the COVID 19, a week before the lockdown etc, my lecturer for the specific module said he is not gonna extend anything which is a shame.

Am sure have explained to you several times about the significance of goinmg to the GOP and getting 3rd party professional verification and pointed out the biggest mistake people with MH issues make is keeping it to themselves which is about the worst choice.

Just read the rules and apply asking for the 1 week extension and then bullet point your best reasons.
You cna say your GP was busy but you have an appointment and you knew things were coming to a head and you couldnt cope, so you went to see health and well being but they could oinly point you to the referral list. At least you have evidence of that.

State how the depression and anxiety affect your ability to study.

Just get it in, only has to be one side. Ask for a few weeks.
Am sure have explained to you several times about the significance of goinmg to the GOP and getting 3rd party professional verification and pointed out the biggest mistake people with MH issues make is keeping it to themselves which is about the worst choice.

Just read the rules and apply asking for the 1 week extension and then bullet point your best reasons.
You cna say your GP was busy but you have an appointment and you knew things were coming to a head and you couldnt cope, so you went to see health and well being but they could oinly point you to the referral list. At least you have evidence of that.

State how the depression and anxiety affect your ability to study.

Just get it in, only has to be one side. Ask for a few weeks.

Yes you have and i am not going to defend anything because there is nothing to defend apart from the fact that i felt ashamed to ask for help, which i regret now.

Is this good enough:

I am applying for an extension of 5 days because i have not been in the mental head space to do my assignment. I find it hard to get out of bed every morning. I wanted to see my GP, however, given the known circumstances, they could not book my appointment. . I have seen the health and well being department at UNI and i have been placed on a referral list. I am trying my best, but the lack of access to study support and everything being on a lock down, its just been hard for me to cope with.
Yes you have and i am not going to defend anything because there is nothing to defend apart from the fact that i felt ashamed to ask for help, which i regret now.

Is this good enough:

I am applying for an extension of 5 days because i have not been in the mental head space to do my assignment. I find it hard to get out of bed every morning. I wanted to see my GP, however, given the known circumstances, they could not book my appointment. . I have seen the health and well being department at UNI and i have been placed on a referral list. I am trying my best, but the lack of access to study support and everything being on a lock down, its just been hard for me to cope with.

Its not about shame or blame, but tbh I have pointed these things out to you on multiple occasions over months and I would have preferred it if you had asked with more time to go.
When is the deadline?
How much do you honestly need?

Read the rules.
Just say whether you are suffering from depression and anxiety?
Point out the cause, the symptoms, what it makes you feel, how it affects your studies
Point out your past history and if its the cv19 then point out how its made you stressed or other reason have increased your anxiety.

This has happened over what period?
You thought you could cope.
You tried to get help from the health and wellbeing department, when? They are so busy though they could only put me on a referral list.
I have tried to get an appointment with my GP and this has also proved very difficult.
I feel isolated and am having difficulty coping, especially as there is no study support and am really struggling.

Because of this I would like an extension of 10 days (or 5 days if that really is the maximum I can apply for) to give me time to deal with things.

Heres some links on depression and anxiety including symptoms you can use.

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/no-panic-youth-hub/
https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/

https://depression.org.nz/is-it-depression-anxiety/self-test/
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/selfhelp/selfleafpdf/depression
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/selfhelp/selfleafpdf/loneli
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/selfhelp/selfleafpdf/anxipan
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-anxiety/

Dont worry just get it in.
Let your pt know as well.

Is this good enough:

If you are having problems then let me know.
I dont think thats detailed enough as you already have the issue that you have no third party evidence.
You must at least ring the GP to try for an appointment.
You must also read the rules to see the factors they consider for deciding to grant such an extension.
You didnt say when your deadline was. If its tomorrow you run the risk of deciding not to put something is, so you must speak to your tutor otherwise you run the risk of putting something in and getting a low mark when you could have had an extension or not putting something in and getting zero.

You leave this important information out.

If it is tomorrow, then ring the gp so you can at leas try for an appointment and use that in your application.
You should then as a matter of urgency contact the tutor or department to informally get permission for the extension or to clarify if they say put something in or if you get the extension you can resubmit. You cannot afford to hide, but you must act if the deadline is imminent.

I will help if I can.
(edited 4 years ago)
Its not about shame or blame, but tbh I have pointed these things out to you on multiple occasions over months and I would have preferred it if you had asked with more time to go.
When is the deadline?
How much do you honestly need?

Read the rules.
Just say whether you are suffering from depression and anxiety?
Point out the cause, the symptoms, what it makes you feel, how it affects your studies
Point out your past history and if its the cv19 then point out how its made you stressed or other reason have increased your anxiety.

This has happened over what period?
You thought you could cope.
You tried to get help from the health and wellbeing department, when? They are so busy though they could only put me on a referral list.
I have tried to get an appointment with my GP and this has also proved very difficult.
I feel isolated and am having difficulty coping, especially as there is no study support and am really struggling.

Because of this I would like an extension of 10 days (or 5 days if that really is the maximum I can apply for) to give me time to deal with things.

Heres some links on depression and anxiety including symptoms you can use.

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/no-panic-youth-hub/
https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/

https://depression.org.nz/is-it-depression-anxiety/self-test/
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/selfhelp/selfleafpdf/depression
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/selfhelp/selfleafpdf/loneli
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/selfhelp/selfleafpdf/anxipan
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-anxiety/

Dont worry just get it in.
Let your pt know as well.

Heya!! Thank you so much for your support, i really do appreciate it and do not take it lightly. My extension has been approved. My assignment is due for 1st April but my extension deadline is now 8th April :smile:
Reply 17

Thanks.

Covid-19 would be a pretty legit reason? At this time I know they are super relaxed about deadlines, at least my uni is.
I think its probably best to apply for an extension closer to the deadline? although I've never done it before.

Medical reasons are probs best idea.
Heya!! Thank you so much for your support, i really do appreciate it and do not take it lightly. My extension has been approved. My assignment is due for 1st April but my extension deadline is now 8th April :smile:

Thats great news.
You know as well as I do what my detailed advice has been on multiple occasions.
You also know im interested on doing things that work, even taking into account your MH. I have to point those things out to get you to try and see or face up to what needs doing in the time available and in a way that is effective and doesnt pander to your fears.

I dont think your example was detailed enough or said the right things, obviously the lecturer might just have been mindful of the extraordinary situation.
Hopefully the stress has lifted so get a good nights sleep. Aim to finish by 6th as your deadline. As you got longer than youd hoped for you dont have an excuse now, so by 1 April you need to be 50% complete. They probably wont give you another. Keep on top of your anxiety and work each day to a small target. GL.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thats great news.
You know as well as I do what my detailed advice has been on multiple occasions.
You also know im interested on doing things that work, even taking into account your MH. I have to point those things out to get you to try and see or face up to what needs doing in the time available and in a way that is effective and doesnt pander to your fears.

I dont think your example was detailed enough or said the right things, obviously the lecturer might just have been mindful of the extraordinary situation.
Hopefully the stress has lifted so get a good nights sleep. Aim to finish by 6th as your deadline. As you got longer than youd hoped for you dont have an excuse now, so by 1 April you need to be 50% complete. They probably wont give you another. Keep on top of your anxiety and work each day to a small target. GL.

Thanks again and i hope to finish by the 6th of April :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest