The Student Room Group

psychology - interactionist approach of schizophrenia

i need help on this

(AQA)
It's the conflict between the biology and environment.
A diathesis-stress model is used.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
It's the conflict between the biology and environment.
A diathesis-stress model is used.

i know, but i just dont understand it and i dont understand that model either, like my notes say one thing, my textbook says another and simplypsychology confuses me a lot...

i just need enough ao1 knowledge and ao3 points :/

could you expand on it a little and give me an overview? like bullet points?
Schizophrenia is a genetically inherited condition (Well mostly) for an individuals offspring. The theory proposes that parents who have children have a genetic vunerability, remember you are not born with schizophrenia. This vunerability (Biology) is always in conflict with external factors (Environment), and the condition is said to be the byproduct of this confliction. The gene gets switched on by whatever factor influences it, and schizophrenia then develops, this has been researched heavily within twin studies that finds the identical twin is far more likely to develop schizophrenia than non twin siblings. Adoptive children are also less likely to develop than biological relatives. However, about 50% of identical children, the other half doesn't develop the condition, which means there is a strong case for environmental factors to be at work here, triggering these genetic vunerabilities. This is what the model proposes.

Reply 4
Original post by random_matt
Schizophrenia is a genetically inherited condition (Well mostly) for an individuals offspring. The theory proposes that parents who have children have a genetic vunerability, remember you are not born with schizophrenia. This vunerability (Biology) is always in conflict with external factors (Environment), and the condition is said to be the byproduct of this confliction. The gene gets switched on by whatever factor influences it, and schizophrenia then develops, this has been researched heavily within twin studies that finds the identical twin is far more likely to develop schizophrenia than non twin siblings. Adoptive children are also less likely to develop than biological relatives. However, about 50% of identical children, the other half doesn't develop the condition, which means there is a strong case for environmental factors to be at work here, triggering these genetic vunerabilities. This is what the model proposes.

thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest