The Student Room Group

Geography fieldwork missing

Hello, I am a private candidate from Holland, I'm taking various subjects, one of them is Geography. Basically I got to the final part of fieldwork, however as a private candidate I can't go on a trip with my teacher because I don't have one and the centre providing my exams doesn't provide this part of the programme...
So I am wondering if there is anyone that would be so kind to share some knowledge about this topic with me because I am LITERALLY lost at this point.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annajpg
Hello, I am a private candidate from Holland, I'm taking various subjects, one of them is Geography. Basically I got to the final part of fieldwork, however as a private candidate I can't go on a trip with my teacher because I don't have one and the centre providing my exams doesn't provide this part of the programme...
So I am wondering if there is anyone that would be so kind to share some knowledge about this topic with me because I am LITERALLY lost at this point.

Which exam board? Have you looked at the specification?
Is it covered in any of your revision books?
Are you in the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Which exam board? Have you looked at the specification?
Is it covered in any of your revision books?
Are you in the UK?

my exam board is Edexcel, no im not in the uk and partly in my revision books but not fully like I miss the actual experience, how to measure data, how to collect it etc etc like everyithing.
I know about the qualitative date and quantitative data but I have no clue on how to pursue an actual evaluation of data and make conclusions ...
Reply 3
Original post by annajpg
my exam board is Edexcel, no im not in the uk and partly in my revision books but not fully like I miss the actual experience, how to measure data, how to collect it etc etc like everyithing.
I know about the qualitative date and quantitative data but I have no clue on how to pursue an actual evaluation of data and make conclusions ...

I only know that I wanted to focus on a coastal landscape and the urban city
Is this GCSE or A level? For my GCSE fieldwork, we did two studies one on an urban redevelopment project and the other on local rivers seeing whether they conformed to what you would expect in the middle course of a river. For each case study we needed an aim and two hypothesis to prove or disprove.

I would just find two similar things in your area or the UK if that is required. For data measuring we used an EPQ for the urban redevelopment project and also carried out a survey to see whether the area needed redevelopment according to the locals. For the rivers topic we measured velocity, sediment along the river bed in 10cm intervals and drew a cross profile of the channel. We've done 2 graphs for each study and then drawn conclusions as well.

We were also told to measure safety of our trips and why we wanted to choose that area (our reason was as it was local, w would be more interested).

I hope this helps even if your doing A level.
Reply 5
Original post by MaddyMcCubbine
Is this GCSE or A level? For my GCSE fieldwork, we did two studies one on an urban redevelopment project and the other on local rivers seeing whether they conformed to what you would expect in the middle course of a river. For each case study we needed an aim and two hypothesis to prove or disprove.

I would just find two similar things in your area or the UK if that is required. For data measuring we used an EPQ for the urban redevelopment project and also carried out a survey to see whether the area needed redevelopment according to the locals. For the rivers topic we measured velocity, sediment along the river bed in 10cm intervals and drew a cross profile of the channel. We've done 2 graphs for each study and then drawn conclusions as well.

We were also told to measure safety of our trips and why we wanted to choose that area (our reason was as it was local, w would be more interested).

I hope this helps even if your doing A level.

Hi thanks for reaching out and it is for my gcses in fact, could you maybe tell me more about the urban redevelopment?
Cause Im more keen in doing the cosatal research
Thank u again for the reply I swear no one everr replies to my questions on here lmao
Is this for GCSE or for IGCSE? cos for GCSE the exam centre has to sign off to say you have done the fieldwork, whereas IGCSE you just have to know about it. If it's GCSE you need to talk to the exam officer at the centre ASAP

https://www.geography-fieldwork.org/gcse/ - try here for some help - the start here section has all about data collection and analysis etc and then it has advice for different environments

Also some stuff here - https://www.bbc.com/education/guides/zqk7nbk/revision
Reply 7
hello!! i'm also on edexcel, and i did coastal research. i would be happy to help x
Original post by annajpg

This is basically what our class did

Physical fieldwork
- Location = Ainsdale beach, north west england
- Reason for location (because apparently they ask) = easily accessible from school and it was a classic example of sand dunes, close to our human fieldwork location
- Hypothesis = as you get further away from the sea, the vegetation coverage and height increases
- Risk = drowning(teacher checked when the tide was in), getting lost(we were put in groups of 5)

Method 1
1) We picked a random point on the beach
2) Did a straight transect
3) Every 10m we dropped a quadrat (that wasn't divided) and estimated the vegetation coverage and measured the tallest vegetation with a ruler
Method 2 - to link physical and human
1) Whilst we were measuring vegetation succession we were also looking for any evidence of trampling and littering

Presentation
- We used a scatter graph (x-axis was vegetation height and y-axis was vegetation coverage)
- Reason = easy to analyse, shows the relationship between the two axis, easy to make
- Result = weakly positive correlation

Evaluation
Inaccurate data
- estimations may be inaccurate - to improve could have used a divided quadrat
Unrelieble method
- the transect wasn't straight - thorn bushes in the way - to improve we could have repeated the process to get a more accurate result

Human Geography
- Location = Southport, north west england
- Reason = easily accessible from school, close to physical fieldwork location
- Hypothesis = Tourism has some negative impacts on the coastal town of Southport
- Risks - getting lost (groups of 5), stranger danger(teachers told us the only areas we were allowed to go to)
Method 1
1) In class we made questionnaires
2) In Southport we asked 10 people to complete our questionnaire
Method 2
1) We counted the number of vehicles in 4 locations for 5 mins and collected the data as a tally chart

Presentation
- We presented the traffic count as a flow line map
- Reason = shows movement and the direction of movement, the larger the arrow the more numbers of vehicles
- We presented the questionnaire as a pie chart
- Reason = easy to make and analyse

Evaluation
Inaccurate data
- During the traffic count we may have missed vehicles as we had to count the numbers of different vehicles and then record it at the same time - to improve we would work in a bigger group
- Also we don't know that the traffic congestion was caused by tourist only
Unrelieble method
- Small sample size - to improve we could do the traffic count at differnt times of the day and differnent times of the year
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mikela
hello!! i'm also on edexcel, and i did coastal research. i would be happy to help x

OMG I AM GETTING SO MANY NICE ANSWERSS YOU ARE LITERALLY SAVING MY LIFE
please do girl! just post it here <3
Reply 10
Original post by purple.blue27
this is basically what our class did

physical fieldwork
- location = ainsdale beach, north west england
- reason for location (because apartently they ask) = easily accessible from school and it was a classic example of sand dunes, close to our human fieldwork location
- hypothesis = as you get further away from the sea, the vegetation coverage and height increases
- risk = drowning(teacher checked when the time was in), getting lost(wwe were put in groups of 5)

method 1
1) we picked a random point on the beach
2) did a straight transect
3) every 10m we dropped a quadrat (that wasn't divided) adn eestimated the vegetation coverage and measured the tallest veetation with a ruler
method 2 - to link physical and human
1) whilst we were measuring vegetation succession we were also looking for any evidence of trampling and littering

presentation
- we used a scatter graph (x-axis was vegetation height and y-axis was vegetation coverage)
- reason = easy to analyse, shows the relationship between the two axis, easy to make
- result = weakly positive correlation

evaluation
inaccurate data
- estimations may be inaccurate - to improve could have used a divided quadrat
unrelieble method
- the transect wasn't straight - thorn bushes in the way - to improve we could have repeated the process to get a more accurate result

human geography
- location = southport, north west england
- reason = easily accessible from school, close to physical fieldwork location
- hypothesis = tourism has some negative impacts on the coastal town of southport
- risks - getting lost (groups of 5), stranger danger(teachers told us the only areas we were allowed to go to)
method 1
1) in class we made questionnaires
2) in southport we asked 10 people to complete our questionnaire
method 2
1) we counted the number of vehicles in 4 locations for 5 mins and collected the data as a tally chart

presentation
- we presented the traffic count as a flow line map
- reason = shows movement and the direction of movement, the larger the arrow the more numbers of vehicles
- we presented the questionnaire as a pie chart
- reason = easy to make and analyse

evaluation
inaccurate data
- during the traffic count we may have missed vehicles as we had to count the numbers of different vehicles and then record it at the same time - to improve we would work in a bigger group
- also we don't know that the traffic congestion was caused by tourist only
unrelieble method
- small sample size - to improve we could do the traffic count at differnt times of the day and differnent times of the year

thank you so much this is what i needed you are saving me
Original post by annajpg
Hi thanks for reaching out and it is for my gcses in fact, could you maybe tell me more about the urban redevelopment?
Cause Im more keen in doing the cosatal research
Thank u again for the reply I swear no one everr replies to my questions on here lmao

Yh sure we studied a project going on in a local town where they are going to build a new cinema and redo a part of the town. Our aim was to research a regeneration project and our two hypothesis were that the public weren't aware of the project and the area doesn't need redevelopment. We used an EPQ to measure the indicators of deprivation and we asked 10 questions to the public, asking if they had heard about project, if that could tell us what was going to happen did they want it and we also recorded their age and gender to see if this impacted our results at all. We also used secondary data of a police crime map which showed some anti-social behaviour. We used a radar graph to present the EPQ results and lots of bar graphs for the survey. In class we then had to conclude whether we had proved or disproved the two hypothesis.

We were also supposed to have theory to back up our knowledge eg. about brownfield and greenfield sites and comparisons to other areas which were being redeveloped. I do the AQA course so the exam questions might be slightly different but you could go to their specimen papers and select paper 3 which is called something like the issue evaluation and fieldwork. The second half of the paper has lots of helpful questions on fieldwork that you could use to practise what you need to know on.
Reply 12
Original post by annajpg
OMG I AM GETTING SO MANY NICE ANSWERSS YOU ARE LITERALLY SAVING MY LIFE
please do girl! just post it here <3

of course x @purple.blue27 has posted their fieldwork, bear in mind that different schools do different fieldworks, even if both are of the same topic. please do bear with me as i try to find my fieldwork booklet (which i may have left in my locker, yikes)
Reply 13
Original post by mikela
of course x @purple.blue27 has posted their fieldwork, bear in mind that different schools do different fieldworks, even if both are of the same topic. please do bear with me as i try to find my fieldwork booklet (which i may have left in my locker, yikes)

yeah i totally understand, but yeah i don't really have a school so i dont think it will matter to the exam board hehe Thank you so much again <3
Reply 14
Yh sure we studied a project going on in a local town where they are going to build a new cinema and redo a part of the town. Our aim was to research a regeneration project and our two hypothesis were that the public weren't aware of the project and the area doesn't need redevelopment. We used an EPQ to measure the indicators of deprivation and we asked 10 questions to the public, asking if they had heard about project, if that could tell us what was going to happen did they want it and we also recorded their age and gender to see if this impacted our results at all. We also used secondary data of a police crime map which showed some anti-social behaviour. We used a radar graph to present the EPQ results and lots of bar graphs for the survey. In class we then had to conclude whether we had proved or disproved the two hypothesis.

We were also supposed to have theory to back up our knowledge eg. about brownfield and greenfield sites and comparisons to other areas which were being redeveloped. I do the AQA course so the exam questions might be slightly different but you could go to their specimen papers and select paper 3 which is called something like the issue evaluation and fieldwork. The second half of the paper has lots of helpful questions on fieldwork that you could use to practise what you need to know on.

wow this is amazing, and in the end what was the conclusion if i may ask?
Original post by annajpg
wow this is amazing, and in the end what was the conclusion if i may ask?

We found that people were aware (the areas only just begun to be developed but its taken 15 YEARS of negotiations) and the area was deprived because of the crime map and lots of littering, graffiti, smashed windows ext. Glad this has helped!
Reply 16
We found that people were aware (the areas only just begun to be developed but its taken 15 YEARS of negotiations) and the area was deprived because of the crime map and lots of littering, graffiti, smashed windows ext. Glad this has helped!

PERFECT thank u so much u have no idea how much this has helped me!!
Are you currently taking gcse?
Original post by annajpg
PERFECT thank u so much u have no idea how much this has helped me!!
Are you currently taking gcse?

Yh I am, can't believe the exam is in only a month and a bit :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Yh I am, can't believe the exam is in only a month and a bit :s-smilie:

ME TOO what other subjects are you taking?
Reply 19
i found (most) of my fieldwork!

quick question before i begin, do you need any key words? do you need sampling methods?

Quick Reply

Latest