The Student Room Group

Got a parking ticket. I'm confused, however (photos inside)

What did it say on my ticket?

Parked in a residents' or shared use parking place or zone without either clearly displaying a valid permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place, or without payment of the parking charge - voucher/P&D ticket used in permit bay

What's the confusion?

I did notice the 'Permit holders only' sign, but as there was a ticket machine (seen in the image in the background), I thought I could still get a valid parking space. I still had time left (about 10mins), so I'm guessing the ticket I paid for was irrelevant because it was a 'Permit holders only' road?

Really need to see wording on the signs, as that will be the key.
Might be permit holders only between certain times and pay and display at other times.Or pay and display only applied to certain spaces and whilst you had a ticket were in a permit holder only space for example.
Original post by Meus
What did it say on my ticket?

Parked in a residents' or shared use parking place or zone without either clearly displaying a valid permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place, or without payment of the parking charge - voucher/P&D ticket used in permit bay

What's the confusion?

I did notice the 'Permit holders only' sign, but as there was a ticket machine (seen in the image in the background), I thought I could still get a valid parking space. I still had time left (about 10mins), so I'm guessing the ticket I paid for was irrelevant because it was a 'Permit holders only' road?

it's because there were bays along the street some for permit holders ad some for pay and display (P&D). You bought a pay and display, but were physically parked in a permit holders bay. That's what it means at the end when it says voucher/P&D ticket used in permit bay
Reply 3
Original post by EvilShubunkin
Really need to see wording on the signs, as that will be the key.
Might be permit holders only between certain times and pay and display at other times.Or pay and display only applied to certain spaces and whilst you had a ticket were in a permit holder only space for example.

I parked right next to 'Permit holders only', where the ticket machine was. A few cars down reads another sign. Sign B.

Reply 4
Original post by Meus
I parked right next to 'Permit holders only', where the ticket machine was. A few cars down reads another sign. Sign B.

What sort of bay did you park in?
Original post by Meus

There are rules and practicalities as to where they can place signs and ticket machines (power, obstructing the pavement, blocking visibility etc). What matters is what was painted on the bays on the road.
as far as i can tell the sign B indicates that pay & display is to the right, as shown by the arrow on the notice.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
What sort of bay did you park in?

I parked right where this blue Audi is parked. It's right beside the ticket machine. I've never come across a bay with a ticket machine that you couldn't pay & park in. Where exactly could I have parked then judging from this street view? And do you think I have a case to challenge the penalty?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5075297,-0.2255652,3a,75y,315.05h,79.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skpCLedx_62pjdvtDrI-9ZQ!2e0!5s20170401T000000!7i13312!8i6656
(edited 6 years ago)
also

Original post by Meus

sign B is in a different location in the second picture ! and it has been re-configured with the orange bit on top in one pic, and underneath in the other pic :beard:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by the bear
also

sign B is in a different location in the second picture ! and it has been re-configured with the orange bit on top in one pic, and underneath in the other pic :beard:

I don't know what you're suggesting, but here is the streetview.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5075297,-0.2255652,3a,75y,337.84h,67.97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skpCLedx_62pjdvtDrI-9ZQ!2e0!5s20170401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5078399,-0.2255521,3a,75y,226.85h,78.4t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOaJMq2_OC8UMg8PlvnJ41A!2e0!5s20170401T000000!7i13312!8i6656
Reply 10
Original post by Meus
I parked right where this blue Audi is parked. It's right beside the ticket machine. I've never come across a bay with a ticket machine that you couldn't pay & park in. Where exactly could I have parked then judging from this street view? And do you think I have a case to challenge the penalty?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5075297,-0.2255652,3a,75y,315.05h,79.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skpCLedx_62pjdvtDrI-9ZQ!2e0!5s20170401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

You parked in a residents bay, you can't dispute this.
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
You parked in a residents bay, you can't dispute this.

That's disappointing. Is it common to find pay machines right next to bays which are off-limit? I haven't come across any from my limited experience thus far.
Reply 12
Original post by Meus
That's disappointing. Is it common to find pay machines right next to bays which are off-limit? I haven't come across any from my limited experience thus far.

I've not seen it personally. The sign is quite clear, though, isn't it?
Original post by Meus
I don't know what you're suggesting,

these are not the same sign.
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
I've not seen it personally. The sign is quite clear, though, isn't it?

Yes, I could see there were limitations, but with a pay machine there, I couldn't see where I was able to park legitimately if not there itself. I guess I should have just spent more time looking further ahead down the road.
Original post by Meus
Yes, I could see there were limitations, but with a pay machine there, I couldn't see where I was able to park legitimately if not there itself. I guess I should have just spent more time looking further ahead down the road.

All the signs seem to say it's permit holders only 9am to 10pm, which suggests the pay and display machines are for overnight parking, 10pm to 9am

Quick Reply

Latest